Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #2146
AaronInWI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by faindrops27

Hey, thanks for answering! I am thinking that may be the best option. No other opinions, or input with all of you who already made the trip?

But, if not than thank you very much Patclairesmom for your input.
I come from a different part of the country than you. However, I know when we made our first drive in September, even though the day we arrived in Orlando wasn't a Disney day, we were happy/relieved that we had made it to Orlando. So based on that, I think a side trip to Universal, Sea World, or even Downtown Disney (which is what we did) would be the most relaxing start to your trip. If that makes any sense at all. You'll know that your long drive is over.

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #2147
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit303 View Post
Please share which airport and airline we are in Upper Chichester and would love also to do a short trip before our October drive.
They were rates last week in Scranton, AVoca. Allegiant, but they o hit you with overhead storage bin fee, check bag, nothing free to drink. Just a seat and back pack with the fee. Oh, and credit card fee I think. Igo to the airport to book. Close enough if bad weather to get there.
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #2148
stasijane
Crazed one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SondraC View Post
We picked a good day for driving yesterday. We had no snow or rain, and we made it to Georgia!
How did the rest of the drive go?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #2149
SondraC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post
How did the rest of the drive go?
We had no issues what so ever! Not a drop of rain or a snowflake anywhere! We made great time. We really didn't experience traffic until we got close to Orlando and then it was CRAZY!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #2150
pit303
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
They were rates last week in Scranton, AVoca. Allegiant, but they o hit you with overhead storage bin fee, check bag, nothing free to drink. Just a seat and back pack with the fee. Oh, and credit card fee I think. Igo to the airport to book. Close enough if bad weather to get there.
Wow they sound like Spirit out of Atlantic City!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #2151
Gowahoowa
Mouseketeer

Short (sort of) Trip Report

Greetings fellow 2000mile+ drivers and Happy New Year!

We just returned from our wonderful Christmas trip spending 6 nights at Bay Lake Tower and our last night at Pop Century.

We left South Jersey at 6:45pm on Friday, 12/21, for our 7th drive to the World! I (DH) took the first leg of the trip and drove until 11:45pm. We caught a little congestion south of DC, but it didn't slow us down. DW and I then switched up again at 2:45am and 5:45am. We stopped periodically for bathroom breaks and filled up the tank twice and topped it off once. We got to the Florida Welcome Center, drank some delicious orange juice, pushed off again, and arrived at the Winn-Dixie just outside Disney at 12:00 noon. Total drive time: 17 hours, 15 minutes. Total Miles: 1,034.50

We spent the week at Bay Lake Tower and the weather was wonderful. Certainly a whole lot better than Jersey weather in December. We ate at Be Our Guest for both lunch and dinner and it was awesome! That will be the first res I make for our August trip. New Fantasyland is great. No detail left out!

Enchanted Tales with Belle is a must do. That was the first thing we did on Christmas morning at 7:00am. What an experience for both kids and adults!

So, fast forward through our week to Friday, 12/28, when we checked out of Bay Lake Tower and headed to Epcot for our last day in the World. We then checked into Pop Century late that evening to get some rest before our drive home in the morning.

We pushed off from Pop Century at 6:20am Saturday, 12/29. We had rain showers and some wind through Florida and parts of Georgia, but it didn't severely hamper our drive time. There was an accident on I95 in Jacksonville, so we drove the loop around Jacksonville for the first time.

The rest of the drive on I95 North was fast and uneventful. We stopped for some quick bathroom and gas breaks and Starbucks, too! We got some Burger King in Florence and Chick Fil A in North Carolina. The traffic heading south was pretty heavy with the Bowl Games and folks heading that way. We saw two accidents that closed the road and caused a pretty hefty backup.

We arrived home in South Jersey at exactly 10:35pm, which was a family record time of 16 hours, 15 minutes. Total Miles: 1,046.90.

We wish everyone a very Happy New Year and safe travels to and from Walt Disney World! We are already planning our August trip!!

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.
2000+ Mile Driving Family

Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #2152
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Finished our 5th drive to Disney this year with 7 stays onsite (visited other spots in FL in between Disney stays on two trips without driving home). Won't be able to drive again until after April 15 as DH is a tax preparer (helps pay for our Disney trips). He is also going to investigate surgery for his heel spurs as his walking ability decreased on each trip. Might be good to get it done while he is doing taxes since we can't go anywhere and he will be tied to the computer so maybe next year's trips will be a lot more enjoyable.
Happy New Year to all!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #2153
BC1836
DIS Veteran

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now that 2013 has arrived, who will be the first WDW 2,000+ mile round-trip driver of the year?

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #2154
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

im not going till may so that leaves me out.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #2155
chipper10
Disney Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs
im not going till may so that leaves me out.
Same here! At least I'll be at AKV for 10 wonderful nights in May. It will be my reward for making it through this semester.

Next Trip -- May 2013
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #2156
stasijane
Crazed one

I will be leaving Mo on Feb. 21! I doubt its the first one of the year but I'm still excited about how close it is!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #2157
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now that 2013 has arrived, who will be the first WDW 2,000+ mile round-trip driver of the year?

All the best.
We probably will not be the first either but we hit the road in 37 days on February 7th. With all that has gone on in the last month here, we are even more excited to get out of town and anticipate it greatly.

I haven't checked in on this regularly recently but with the holidays over, it is time for focus on our long awaited 2nd Disney trip to WDW with our 2 boys.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #2158
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Im on my way back.
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs2014 Fantasy World Vacation Villas2014 Disney All Star Sports2014Royal Pacific Resort
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #2159
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

So just curious, have any of you driven from PA to CA to go to DL?

We'd like to go to DL but also see the Grand Canyon. My DH is not happy with my idea of driving that far! We've never been east of the Mississippi! only been to places on the East coast.
I'm thinking we could take our time and do 4 days each way, plus 6 days in CA.
Thoughts?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #2160
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
So just curious, have any of you driven from PA to CA to go to DL?

We'd like to go to DL but also see the Grand Canyon. My DH is not happy with my idea of driving that far! We've never been east of the Mississippi! only been to places on the East coast.
I'm thinking we could take our time and do 4 days each way, plus 6 days in CA.
Thoughts?
Our fartherest trip was from Cincinnati to Mt. Rushmore, down to Colorado and back home. We took four days to get to Mt. Rushmore (stayed a week, exploring Western South Dakota), a day to drive to Colorado and another three days home. With the exception of the very last day (from Springfield, MO home), we didn't have any day longer than about 7-8 hours). And that was perfect

I Mapquested your hometown to DL..over 40 hours. That's over ten hours a day in the car, if you only took four days. Ten hours for one day isn't bad. Maybe, for a second day. But beyond that, no thank you.

Would I make the trip? Perhaps. But I would allow at least three weeks total...eight days to get there, five to six days in CA, and a week to get home. That way, you aren't rushed getting there, and you can enjoy the sites along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: