Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
icehawkmom
Earning My Ears

We had late breakfast and we finished about 9:00 a.m. (we were a group of 16).
The line up at that time was very long and we found a seat in Promenade Lounge to wait it out. The last call for leaving the ship didn't come for at least 40 minutes and we didn't clear customs until almost 11:00 a.m. It was very long lineups which moved very slowly. If you have early flights out of Miami you should be aware that disembarking is a much slower process than Port Canaveral and you had to wait for your luggage tags to be called.
icehawkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Mtkgal
Earning My Ears

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehawkmom View Post
We had late breakfast and we finished about 9:00 a.m. (we were a group of 16).
The line up at that time was very long and we found a seat in Promenade Lounge to wait it out. The last call for leaving the ship didn't come for at least 40 minutes and we didn't clear customs until almost 11:00 a.m. It was very long lineups which moved very slowly. If you have early flights out of Miami you should be aware that disembarking is a much slower process than Port Canaveral and you had to wait for your luggage tags to be called.
Thanks for that info. I'm curious to see if it gets any better as more Disney cruises leave out of Miami. I'm glad I have an afternoon flight since I need to go to FLL.

Mtkgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
beachpal
DVC member

I did see in the Navigators that the people with an early flight were supposed to let Guest Services know, presumably so they could disembark earlier than the rest of us?

For anyone flying out of FLL, it took us only about 20 minutes by cab from the port to the airport for about $80 including tip but there was no traffic to speak of.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtkgal View Post
Thanks for that info. I'm curious to see if it gets any better as more Disney cruises leave out of Miami. I'm glad I have an afternoon flight since I need to go to FLL.
Our tablemates wanted to get an early start, but didn't really understand the luggage situation. They had already put their luggage outside the door before dinner, THEN I told them that we had late breakfast and they may not be able to get off until called (we were of course in the last group). Guest Services tried to get their luggage back, but it was buried deep in the cart. What Guest Services did do was give them 'Red Mickey' tags to carry. They could then get off the boat and hope that their luggage was already on the carousel. So they went to late breakfast but then got off as soon as they could. We didn't see them again, so I assume they did get a little bit of a head start.

All this to say if you need to get off early, you can either keep all your luggage with you and walk off in the first group (around 7:15), or you can ask to be moved to an earlier group. Just don't put the luggage tags on before you ask.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Dogsambam
Mouseketeer

We thought the disembarkation was amazing! The airport style conveyor worked great. No hoarding through lined up baggage like cattle! The best disembarkation we have ever seem, and this is after 28 cruises.

This was our first Disney cruise and I have to say, we are hooked! The the bonus of leaving out of Miami was a plus to us. Already booked Fantasy for next trip. If a 7 night was available out of Miami again, we would have booked that.

Food was mediocre, but we had heard that from lots of friends, and knew what to expect. To say staff was amazing is an understatement. The BEST we have ever had, and again after lots of cruises. As Nancy said, they were so excited about the Miami, Castaway Cay etc thing.
Dogsambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
Glitzytraveller
Mouseketeer

We are booked on the first 4-Night Bahamas Wonder sailing next week, Jan. 10th. I was told by Disney that the Dining rotation will be TAAP. You will dine at the same restaurant on the second and third night. The third night is Pirate Night. There is not a Palo brunch on this sailing.
As for transfers. The cheapest way is taxi from MIA. They have a "by law" set rate of $24 from the airport to the port. Hope this helps. I will be happy to answer any questions when we return.

3rd DCL sailing in less than 12 months!

Past Trips:
Disney Wonder January 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas October 2012
Disney Dream Bahamas January 2012
NCL Epic Europe Cruise May 2011
NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii Cruise June 2005
Disney Wonder Bahamas August 2000
Disney Big Red Boat Bahamas August 1992
Glitzytraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitzytraveller View Post
we are booked on the first 4-night bahamas wonder sailing next week, jan. 10th. I was told by disney that the dining rotation will be taap. You will dine at the same restaurant on the second and third night. The third night is pirate night. There is not a palo brunch on this sailing.
As for transfers. The cheapest way is taxi from mia. They have a "by law" set rate of $24 from the airport to the port. Hope this helps. I will be happy to answer any questions when we return.

3rd dcl sailing in less than 12 months!
thank you!
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Max02215
Earning My Ears

Bumping

Leave on the 19th and curious how the few sailings went!
Max02215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachpal View Post

For anyone flying out of FLL, it took us only about 20 minutes by cab from the port to the airport for about $80 including tip but there was no traffic to speak of.
Wow really? I didn't think it was that close. It's much cheaper for me to fly into FLL then MIA but I was concerned about the ride. I guess I need to start looking into shuttle service now. I'll likely arrive the day before. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover View Post
Wow really? I didn't think it was that close. It's much cheaper for me to fly into FLL then MIA but I was concerned about the ride. I guess I need to start looking into shuttle service now. I'll likely arrive the day before. Thanks for the info!
I think 20 minutes would be calling it close. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale (a little north of the airport) and it took us about 40 minutes to get to the Port on a Sunday morning.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
beachpal
DVC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I think 20 minutes would be calling it close. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale (a little north of the airport) and it took us about 40 minutes to get to the Port on a Sunday morning.

Nancy
Don't know why it took you longer but it took us only 20 minutes last Sunday morning. And, the driver wasn't speeding!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachpal View Post
Don't know why it took you longer but it took us only 20 minutes last Sunday morning. And, the driver wasn't speeding!
That's quick! Maybe because it was Sunday morning? I've not heard anything less than 40 mins! Great news :-)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
jujubiee4
Earning My Ears

I really appreciate the recent cruisers posting. We are set to leave out of Miami in a couple of weeks and I am real nervous since we are flying out of Ft. Lauderdale.

We need to be off boat early. So am I understanding this right? Keep our luggage with us the night before and take it with us to early breakfast disembarkation morning?

I am trying not to worry but our flight leaves at 12 noon exactly so I am hoping to be at airport as soon as possible.

Thanks for any advice.
jujubiee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubiee4 View Post
I really appreciate the recent cruisers posting. We are set to leave out of Miami in a couple of weeks and I am real nervous since we are flying out of Ft. Lauderdale.

We need to be off boat early. So am I understanding this right? Keep our luggage with us the night before and take it with us to early breakfast disembarkation morning?

I am trying not to worry but our flight leaves at 12 noon exactly so I am hoping to be at airport as soon as possible.

Thanks for any advice.
Rather than lug our suitcases to breakfast I went and got take away coffee/drinks and muffins from the QS buffet and we had them in the room. Went did the early disembark at 7.15 or so and then got a better breakfast at our destination. It was from pc, but we we're in WDW having breakfast by 9.00. For us that was easier than lugging suitcases to breakfast.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #30
shillee
Mouseketeer

Can anyone tell me the following:

* we have not yet booked transportation from port to Miami airport. I am thinking I may have to go through Disney and pay the $20/person for their shuttle. I will have 2 small kids with me (age 3&5) and no car seats so not sure of options I may have?

* Is there a semi-formal night on the 4 night cruise?

* I believe someone posted that dining rotation is 1, 2, 2, 3 (so you dine in the same restaurant on the second and third nights) for the 4 night cruise.

* Is there a pirate night on the 4 night cruise?

* Does anyone have any navigators to post? Of either 4 night or 5 night (we are doing a B2B)

* Can anyone tell me if the gym offers any regular yoga classes by chance? If so, are they an extra fee? And if they have them do you need to have your own mat?

1996 - Off Site, 1997 - Off Site, 1999 - ASMu, 2000 - BW, 2000 - Disneyland Paris, 2001 - May at ASMu, 2001 - December at CS, 2002 - September at ASMu, 2002 - December - Getting Married at WDW!!!, 2003 - December & DCL Wonder, 2004 - December, 2005 - December, 2006 - December, 2007 - December, 2008 - September - Disneyland, 2008 - December - Off Site, 2010 - Off Site (Windsor Hills Townhouse), 2011 - November - Off Site, 2012 - February - DCL - Magic 7 Night Eastern, 2012 - November at POR, 2013 - DCL B2B Miami on the Wonder, 2013 - November at CB
shillee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: