Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Really - read the sticky about renting on the Rent/Trade Board before renting.

I've rented points from DVC members on the boards, from a friend, and now just rented through David's for an upcoming trip. All my experiences have been different - but so far - all have been very smooth.

You CAN get a cheaper price per point here through the rent/trade board than through a broker. That's awesome if you don't need alot of points and your dates are flexible. I went with David's this time because I wanted to get booked at 8 months out, I needed alot of points (over 350), and my dates were fixed. So - while I am paying a tad more per point than I might on a last-minute trip for myself - I also got the benefit of the service that using David's provides.

So - be an educated renter - really read alot before making a decision for yourself.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdw View Post
Really - read the sticky about renting on the Rent/Trade Board before renting.

So - be an educated renter - really read alot before making a decision for yourself.
will do thanks
thornton0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Snow Shoe
What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

Just an FYI...Davids rentals require you to pay the entire amount up front once the reservation is made for you.

Walt Disney World... been there, done that, GOING BACK!

DLP trip...WOW!!
30th Anniversary trip...DOUBLE WOW!!!!!
Family Trip Christmas 2007...Unbelievable!!!
Retiement trip 2008...DL and WDW Outstanding!!!
Snow Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Tikihula
DIS Veteran

One thing you can do is ask the person you are renting points from to tell Member Services that you need a "Travel With" number on your reservation. That means they will try to place your studios as close as possible to each other because you are "traveling with" the other people in your party. Many studios are lockoff portions of a 1-BR or 2-BR villa, so it's sometimes difficult to get studios right next to each other, although we have done it.

Of course, you can try requesting connecting or adjoining studios first, but since they can't guarantee that, also request a "travel with" number. Good luck!

P.S. David is a very reputable owner/broker.
Tikihula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #20
GATORinaZ28
DIS Dad#764

I attempted to rent DVC points for Animal Kingdom a few days ago for essentially the same dates (Nov29-Dec6). The Value Studios were unavailable, but at that time, there was availability at a Standard Studio. (May be gone now though). The problem I ran into was that neither service I was going to use to rent the points had the points available. I decided to stop looking at that point.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you get what you are looking for.

71-84 - Contemporary Resort with Grandparents || 01/94 - Off Site @ Disneyland || 06/07 - Contemporary Resort || 02/08 - Caribbean Beach Resort || 05/10 - All-Star Sports / Coronado Springs Resort || 12/10 - Offsite @ DisneyWorld || 11/11 - Port Orleans Riverside || 11/13 - Port Orleans French Quarter || 5/14 Rock Your Disney Side Party / Pop Century || 12/14 Contemporary
Next trip: ???
GATORinaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Shoe View Post
Just an FYI...Davids rentals require you to pay the entire amount up front once the reservation is made for you.
Yeah I kind of hit a stopping point there because I am right now just figuring it all out and not necessarily ready to jump in. That is why I posted here cause I know you guys would be a great help
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihula View Post
One thing you can do is ask the person you are renting points from to tell Member Services that you need a "Travel With" number on your reservation. That means they will try to place your studios as close as possible to each other because you are "traveling with" the other people in your party. Many studios are lockoff portions of a 1-BR or 2-BR villa, so it's sometimes difficult to get studios right next to each other, although we have done it.

Of course, you can try requesting connecting or adjoining studios first, but since they can't guarantee that, also request a "travel with" number. Good luck!

That is good to know thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORinaZ28 View Post
I attempted to rent DVC points for Animal Kingdom a few days ago for essentially the same dates (Nov29-Dec6). The Value Studios were unavailable, but at that time, there was availability at a Standard Studio. (May be gone now though). The problem I ran into was that neither service I was going to use to rent the points had the points available. I decided to stop looking at that point.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you get what you are looking for.
I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard time . We would love to get AKL but really any studio that has two rooms available would be okay. Thanks for the heads up and good luck with your planning too
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Think of it as being similar to Priceline, you get a great value but with that comes restrictions.

Almost all will require some money up front to check availability for you. Almost all will have no cancellation or very limited. Pay in full prior to arrival.

No daily housekeeping, you will get trash removed and towels replaced on the 3rd day of your stay.

Whether you book privately with a member or use a broker the semantics are the same. You still are booking through someone you do not know, in fact with the broker you will have no contact with the actual member, the broker will.

The member will be the one that has to make requests, any dining plan if you want that, which has to be paid in advance also.

So reading the sticky notes on the Rent/Trade forum is really a necessity so you know what is involved. The rooms that require the least points such as value studios are some of the first to get booked and the 11 month is a must for those rooms.

There are no studios at DVC that connect to other studios. You might get near each other but due to the way studios at AKV connect to one bedroom villas, it prohibits getting connecting.

Last edited by Sammie; 01-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihula View Post
...Of course, you can try requesting connecting or adjoining studios first, but since they can't guarantee that, also request a "travel with" number. Good luck!

You can request connecting studios all you like, but they do not exist. Anywhere. Studios only connect to one bedroom villas to make two bedroom lockoffs. There are also very few adjoining studios.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #26
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Shoe View Post
You'll likely need to do that no matter who you deal with.

There's risk for both sides in a rental transaction, and one of the ways that owners mitigate their risk is to require payment as soon as the reservation is made.

Look at it this way.....if the owner agrees to let the renter make payments over time, and suddenly the renter stops sending payments (believe me, it's happened)...now what? Sure, the owner can just cancel the reservation and try to find someone else to rent to, but what if there's no longer any availability? Now they're stuck with points they can't use and can't rent, which means they're likely going to lose them. DVC cancellation policies are more restrictive than just making a hotel reservation.

It's important to remember that the source of these rented points isn't some giant hotel company....they're just regular Disney-lovin' folks, who can't use their points for some reason. Whether they rent their points through a broker like David, or on their own, they're not doing it to make a big profit, they're just trying to cover their DVC maintenance fees and/or loan payments.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
Tikihula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You can request connecting studios all you like, but they do not exist. Anywhere. Studios only connect to one bedroom villas to make two bedroom lockoffs. There are also very few adjoining studios.
You're right about the connecting studios, and I should have caught that. We did have standard view adjoining studios at Kidani in November, so I guess we were lucky with that one.
Tikihula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Silly question- we are planning on renting points soon. After we have secured a reservation with a member will we be able to see it on the Disney website like a regular reservation threw Disney. It would make me feel better being able to login and see it in black &white

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
tourguide81
Mouseketeer

I've rented from David several times and only have wonderful things to say. I think there is a chat feature on his website and it tells you if someone is available or not. I might try to ask some questions that way first. I will say the process is easier now that you don't have to call into Disney on a 3 way call together, that was kind of odd.

If I remember correctly, and we rented a studio in the BCV last December, I got a number from them w/ my paperwork that I could use to look up my reservation and then see it in online as well as make my ADRs, etc.

In my opinion it isn't too good to be true, renting DVC is an awesome option. In fact that is the only way we'll be doing Disney for the forseeable future. At the times we go, we've been getting a similar price per night for a studio as we would for a regular room at a moderate resort. No brainer for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
MissouriPrincess
Mouseketeer

We rented through the DVC Rental Store this past summer. We rented a two-bedroom villa at Kidani. It was awesome! My parents had a section of the villa to themselves, my teenager slept on the fold-out in the living area, and my husband, three-year-old and I slept in the king bed. Also, you get three bathrooms at Kidani in a two-bedroom!

The DCV Rental Store allows you to make two payments on the room. Also, he will check availability for you for free. All my questions were answered within hours over email, and it really went smoothly. We did buy trip insurance in case something horrible happened to make us miss our trip. You do need to be sure that you are going to go otherwise.

It was great! Good luck to you!

June 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge--Kidani Village
June 2014 Port Orleans Riverside/ AKL--Kidani Village
MissouriPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: