Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewgirl View Post
We always stay offsite, and we love the rental homes so much, we are thinking about buying one ourselves.
We are also looking at purchasing a vacation rental. I think it would be good for our daughter to have a stable place to stay, as it will alleviate a lot of the anxiety that goes along with SPD. Plus having a place with a spectacular resort pool and amenities means we can take days off from the parks and spend less money on park tickets.

They are not easy kids to vacation with but it seems the more familiar she becomes with the parks the better she is.

I had no idea Orlando Science Center had a Star Wars exhibit. My kids love it there!
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Ametista, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.osc.org/index.php?option=...117&Itemid=181
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasil72 View Post
Ametista, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.osc.org/index.php?option=...117&Itemid=181
Thanks for that. It ends April 7. I wish it would stay til end of May!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Not meaning to hijack, but I have many of the same concerns about an offsite stay during the holidays [in our situation, Christmas] What about ADRs, losing the 180+10 benefit by staying offsite - How bad will it be to get reservations? If the parks close for capacity, can I be stuck going to AK everyday for the week? Any help, or advice is appreciated, as we are in serious debate in my house over whether to go offsite or stay onsite and we are taking a VERY picky family member and I want the trip to go off without a glitch. TIA!
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
Not meaning to hijack, but I have many of the same concerns about an offsite stay during the holidays [in our situation, Christmas] What about ADRs, losing the 180+10 benefit by staying offsite - How bad will it be to get reservations? If the parks close for capacity, can I be stuck going to AK everyday for the week? Any help, or advice is appreciated, as we are in serious debate in my house over whether to go offsite or stay onsite and we are taking a VERY picky family member and I want the trip to go off without a glitch. TIA!
We always do one or two character meals and are able to get reservations. Don't forget that when offsite you have the whole Kissimmee/Orlando area full of great restaurants. Probably much, much less expensive plus that picky person will have more to choose from, even eating at your rental home. We always do that so we can eat healthy anyway. Don't know what the 180+10 benefit is. As far as parks hitting capacity, we are always long gone by then anyway. Plus when you are offsite you have a different view about the non-Disney parks and can take advantage of those. I prefer SeaWorld and Islands of Adventure to any of the Disney parks.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
edk35
DIS Veteran

I haven't read this thread but we went last year over Easter break. We arrived the weekend before Easter and rented a house in Windsor Hills. It was great. The location was nice/close to restaurants/shopping and close to the parks. The crowds were not bad at all. We were pleasantly surprised at the crowd levels. We would go this time of year again in a heartbeat.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)

Last edited by edk35; 12-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
Ckania
Earning My Ears

We went the week before Easter and stayed at Windsor Palms. It was great! We had a lot of space, a private little pool and was less than 15 minutes to each park. We booked through Global Resort Homes and I would definitely recommend them! The parks were not too bad, just try and get a lot of fps if possible. We would sometimes leave the parks for dinner and eat off property and cone back when the crowds died down.
Ckania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckania View Post
We went the week before Easter and stayed at Windsor Palms. It was great! We had a lot of space, a private little pool and was less than 15 minutes to each park. We booked through Global Resort Homes and I would definitely recommend them! The parks were not too bad, just try and get a lot of fps if possible. We would sometimes leave the parks for dinner and eat off property and cone back when the crowds died down.
So you felt Global Resort Homes was a good management company? I have been thinking of booking through them.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
allmydisneydreams
Mouseketeer

We are going Easter week, staying at Windsor Hills My only concern is all those MK EMHs .... What do you do about them???? I will definitely get there "early" - but I am worried about everyone being in before us! Has anyone dealt with this before? How did you handle MK rope drop?
allmydisneydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
2002Disneybride
Disney Bride and now a Disney Mom!

Considering it...

Looking at wyndham bonnet creek. It seems there are extra magic hours every day...since we can't take advantage of them, how do we time our visits to the parks.
2002Disneybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Its easy. You just AVOID any park with EMH since they are usually busier those days anyway. If AK has EMH you look on one of the many crowd calendars available and see which park has projected lowest levels, but definitely avoid AK that day since so many people staying onsite will be swarming to the park. The easiest crowd calendar to access is probably here:

http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-to-visit.html

There are others available, you can google it. I don't know, we feel much freer when we stay offsite. We don't have to revolve anything around EMH, ADRs, etc, except that I always pick a "slow" day at Magic Kingdom and take my daughter to Crystal Palace. (And obviously "slow" at MK is a relative term since its the busiest theme park on Earth.) Our other fave is Chef Mickey's (no theme park involved so its pretty easy). But then we also get to factor in the Seaworld and Universal parks, a beach day or two. It just seems like onsite people always stay stuck at Disney, or feel they aren't getting their money's worth if they miss EMH at MK when in fact that is probably the busiest time to go, esp. once all the regular people show up.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
allmydisneydreams
Mouseketeer

The problem is that MK is having morning Extra Magic Hours EVERY MORNING during Easter week ... and the two crowd calendars I looked at are recommending different days for MK that week. I'm so confused...
allmydisneydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Ckania
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametista

So you felt Global Resort Homes was a good management company? I have been thinking of booking through them.
I thought they were great and would use them again. We have used them for our last two trips and if you call you can ask if they are having any specials and usually they can give you a discounted rate!
Ckania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

We dealt with the EMH issue on our two trips during Christmas time. We arrived at the TTC very early (prob 40 minutes before opening. There was already a crowd being held there. They ended up letting us in at about the 30 minute mark and we were allowed to go right to the monorail and right into the park. So, we were in well before official offsite opening time. This worked out just fine as the parks are pretty dead at that hour anyway. It is not ideal, but it did not cause any major issues with our touring plan. This one problem outweighs all of the benefits of staying offsite. Only issue is that you will not get to see the opening show. I don't even know if they do the show on EMH days.