Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Anniversary Suggestions

We are still in the planning stage of a 1st Disney cruise. I am really having a hard time deciding which ship. Magic or Fantasy. I have read and read and asked questions and I am still undecided. Sailing out of Galveston would be so much closer for us rather than PC. I have looked at the dining rooms and asked questions and they really are enticing. I've also read how classy the older ships are and with their size making it more intimate.

Since we will be celebrating 30+ years of marriage do you have any
suggestions? I don't know if a cake is possible on DC. I know I could have one custom made for WDW. I remember one year we celebrating our wedding anniversary at WDW in the castle and when they asked if anyone was celebrating an anniversary we raised our hands and they brought out these really nice champagne glasses that had the castle on it. It was unexpected for us and a nice surprise. Does DC do anything like that? We are not new to cruising but just new to DC.

Thank you for you suggestions.
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity View Post
We are still in the planning stage of a 1st Disney cruise. I am really having a hard time deciding which ship. Magic or Fantasy. I have read and read and asked questions and I am still undecided. Sailing out of Galveston would be so much closer for us rather than PC. I have looked at the dining rooms and asked questions and they really are enticing. I've also read how classy the older ships are and with their size making it more intimate.

Since we will be celebrating 30+ years of marriage do you have any
suggestions? I don't know if a cake is possible on DC. I know I could have one custom made for WDW. I remember one year we celebrating our wedding anniversary at WDW in the castle and when they asked if anyone was celebrating an anniversary we raised our hands and they brought out these really nice champagne glasses that had the castle on it. It was unexpected for us and a nice surprise. Does DC do anything like that? We are not new to cruising but just new to DC.

Thank you for you suggestions.
While you can certainly order a cake, why? There is plenty of cake onboard and any cakes you order you have to pay for. If you note on your reservation it's your anniversary, the servers will sing Happy Anniversary (or something like it) to you and present you with a chocoloate mousse dessert on the designated night.

They don't do anything really big, because, after all, there are a lot of people onboard celebrating everything from anniveraries to birthdays to graduations to "first trip after baby" to new jobs to retirement, etc.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

If you aren't traveling with young kids, and especially since Galveston is so much closer for you, I would go on the Magic. It is a beautiful ship and more intimate than the Fantasy. Although the Fantasy is also beautiful and has lots of additional bells and whistles, many of these (Aqua Duck, Midship Detective Agency, bigger/better kids clubs), in my opinion, will primarily make a difference to the kids more so than the adults. The Fantasy will seem more crowded than the Magic also. In fact, even if you had kids with you, since this is the first DCL cruise, I would still do the Magic, since they won't know what they are missing on the Fantasy and will still have a great time.

I agree with the other poster who said, why bother to order a cake?? On our first DCL cruise I ordered a birthday cake for my mom, but it never got finished. We ate a little when we first got in our room, but after that first day we always got our fill of desserts elsewhere and never went back to the remains of that cake.

However, if you are still so inclined, this is from the DCL website:

Celebration Cakes
Celebrating a special occasion? Have a DCL specialty cake delivered directly to your stateroom or dining room to complete the festivities. Choose from a variety of sizes and flavors to suit your party's needs. Download the order form below to start the ordering process. Note: All Celebration Cake orders must be received at least 7 days prior to sail date. Late orders cannot be guaranteed delivery.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I love the Magic. We will be celebrating our 18th anniversary at Castaway CAy!
We are sailing out of Galveston!
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Good point. Why bother paying extra $$$ for specialty cake when I'm already paying for cake? And it's not like we're celebrating a 60th or 75th. The cruise alone will be celebration enough.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
gkrech
Earning My Ears

We just celebrated our 25th Anniversary on the Disney Fantasy (Dec 8-15). This was out 4th cruise with DCL. Previous were: 2 on the Wonder and 1 on the Magic. This was the also the first without the kids All that said, I can tell you our experience on the Fantasy was nothing short of amazing. I kept telling my wife, "this is like sensory overload". Sure there are a lot of things to do for kids, but the adults have a lot to do on this ship as well. Starters: the Rainforest spa and Satellite Falls were two of our favorites. For our actual anniversary, we had dinner at Palo. Oh! My! Goodness! Our server really made it a wonderful evening and we never got an actual anniversary cake. However, when it came time for desert, he wouldn't let us see the menu...instead, he brought out one of EVERYTHING plus a plate with "Happy Anniversary" inscribed in chocolate. It really was a wonderful evening and an amazing 7-day cruise.
gkrech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrech View Post
We just celebrated our 25th Anniversary on the Disney Fantasy (Dec 8-15). This was out 4th cruise with DCL. Previous were: 2 on the Wonder and 1 on the Magic. This was the also the first without the kids All that said, I can tell you our experience on the Fantasy was nothing short of amazing. I kept telling my wife, "this is like sensory overload". Sure there are a lot of things to do for kids, but the adults have a lot to do on this ship as well. Starters: the Rainforest spa and Satellite Falls were two of our favorites. For our actual anniversary, we had dinner at Palo. Oh! My! Goodness! Our server really made it a wonderful evening and we never got an actual anniversary cake. However, when it came time for desert, he wouldn't let us see the menu...instead, he brought out one of EVERYTHING plus a plate with "Happy Anniversary" inscribed in chocolate. It really was a wonderful evening and an amazing 7-day cruise.
How Awesome!!!! And Congratulations
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Remy on the Fantasy.
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Alyssabear
Earning My Ears

anniversary suggestions

my husband and I just returned from the fantasy for our 30th anniversary. The ship is beautiful. We had been on the wonder for our 2oth and loved it as well. You really cant go wrong with either, That being said, I would do the fantasy as it is new and really something special to see. We did Remy and Palo brunch. Both presented us with plates that they wrote on in chocolate for our anniversary. Our servers presented us with a small chocolate cake and sang to us one night- it was very sweet.
Things to definitley do- do the rainforest pass where you can use the showers, hot beds, private hot tubs and aroma therapy hot rooms. we are not "spa people" but really enjoyed this. Palo brunch is a must do-excellent. Remy was nice but very fancy. It is an experience. Take advantage of the adult areas- they are great on the ship. If you do the fantasy, at 10 each night they usually have some adult activity in the tube. during the day we hung out at the adult bathing, sitting areas at the front of the ship. very relaxing.
Alyssabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
dfriia
Mouseketeer

We were recently on Wonder to Hawaii for our 27th anniversary. We did note in online in our reservation. The first night at dinner our server asked us on what date we were celebrating. We told him and that night they brought out a special chocolate mousse thing with Happy Anniversary on it, sang a song and gave us each a pin with Mickey and Minnie that said Happy Anniversary on it.
dfriia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: