Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Rumor: No Free Dining at Values this fall...

...and the free dining at the mods and deluxes will be the QSDP.

That's the latest on the Codes and Rates subforum of the Resorts Board. FWIW, Danny25 is usually right on the money with his advance info.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039016

So, how will this affect your vacation plans for next fall? Will you still go to Disney if there is no free dining at the Values? Is it worth it to you to pay rack rates at a moderate or deluxe resort if the free dining plan is just the QSDP?

For me, it makes no difference and in fact, it may make me more likely to travel to Disney in the fall if there are fewer "free diners" crowding the TS restaurants. I haven't thought that the dining plans were any kind of value since they did away with the gratuity and appetizers. Free DDP for my family of 5 never made up for paying rack rate at a deluxe. So the QSDP makes it even less appealing now that the kids are grown.

I'm just interested in hearing what other Dis-ers think.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
mommy2twingles
Mouseketeer

We are staying deluxe room at Wilderness Lodge. Since you can never get any type of room discount on these rooms any free dining is worth it to us

mommy2twingles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

I hope they get rid of it forever and return the menus to what they were before "Free Dining".
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2twingles View Post
We are staying deluxe room at Wilderness Lodge. Since you can never get any type of room discount on these rooms any free dining is worth it to us
Thanks for your insight. I had never considered that there are certain room levels that are never discounted. Even GF club level rooms are usually included in the room-only offers but I never thought about the suites at the deluxes. When you're paying $700-$900 per night for those WL Junior Suites, I can understand why even free QSDP will help your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
I hope they get rid of it forever and return the menus to what they were before "Free Dining".
I agree. The quality at the TS restaurants has declined and the prices have skyrocketed. But I don't think that ditching Free Dining will reverse that trend. As long as people like my brother continue to purchase the dining plan for the mere convenience of it, Disney dining quality will suffer.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Hmm. .. now I'm left wondering why Disney would do away with something so profitable. We've all run the numbers and from what I've seen posted by people, unless you're a family with bottomless pits known as teenagers, it's usually cheaper to just pay for the same meals and use a PIN, but we're a tiny sliver of the Disney population. I'm sure most people see "FREE" and just jump on it without doing all the math.

One wonders what this says for PINs. . .which in turn makes me wonder about the DVC rental market. . .
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
DawnM
Dawn

It won't affect us at all. We don't use it and never have.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I don't stay value and like you the ddp stop being of value once they got rid of the apps and gratuity.
Non issue for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

It won't bother me. I find we do better with a room discount and paying for our own meals OOP.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

We've never used free dining. We usually go with a room only code.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Disney Addicted
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
So, how will this affect your vacation plans for next fall? Will you still go to Disney if there is no free dining at the Values? Is it worth it to you to pay rack rates at a moderate or deluxe resort if the free dining plan is just the QSDP?
Staying at a mod and having the DDP was worth it to our family. Kept crunching the numbers between a room discount & OOP or FD and FD came out on top. But we enjoy eating a TS meal each day. And with our picky kids - the buffets were great value.

It will not really matter the next time we go back though as I already worked out and decided that we will stay off-site at Bonnet Creek. 10 nights in a cramped CSR room was hard. I can hardly wait for a 14 night trip in a large 2-bdrm unit at BC! Whenever we go again that is.. lol

However a friend of mine... her work is bringing 3 or 4 nursing residents to the World in October. I know she is really hoping for FD as it would make things so much easier for them.
Disney Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Gee, you won't have a chance to overpay for a hotel room. That's a shame!

For most folks "Free Dining" really is not a good deal, but since the word "FREE" appears people jump all over it. Then they overpay for a room and think "we got a good deal" As several posters on here point out you can often do better with a discount and eating reasonably out of pocket (Do you REALLY need desert with every counter service meal?)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
ceecee
DIS Veteran

We no longer go in the fall or stay at the values anymore, but I do purchase the dining plan and it is convenient. It was especially nice when DD's bff's family went down at the same time. The girls could go out together and use their own cards. A few of our favorite places would easily put us over the cost of the dining plan.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Gee, you won't have a chance to overpay for a hotel room. That's a shame!
lol....
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

We don't rely on free dining. We factor the cost into our budget and if they come out with free dining then that's a big plus. But it never has for us and looks like it never will. Lol.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
trinchick
Mouseketeer

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. DH and I were just discussing our 2013 vacation plans, and we thought we'd go for the first week of free dining in Aug/Sept. We previously stayed at a value but upgraded to DxDP and had a great week with tons of character meals. We just talked about doing that again this year, only this time renting a car to go to restaurants at other resorts (hate, hate, hate the food court at the values).

I think having just the QSDP available for moderates/deluxe will actually drive us off the property. We may still go the same week (low crowds and school isn't in session yet for dd), but I think we'd stay offsite, renting a town house with our own little pool. I am done with Disney transportation, so we'd be renting a car anyway. We can still do character meals oop, just fewer of them, and we won't have to deal with making tons of ADRs in advance because we'll take advantage of the many restaurants offsite.

I envision a vacation of breakfast in the townhouse as we get ready (maybe a character breakfast or two during the week), a QS or character lunch, and then dinner at a local restaurant or pick up pizza to eat by the pool at the rental.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: