Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that Marvel has to act in good faith. Marvel cannot veto everything just to hurt Universal.
Actually,they can. I mean..they likely can't come out and SAY it's because they want to thumb their nose at Universal...but they don't really have to.

Reasonable approval refers to the process of seeking approval, not in the decision making, itself.

In other words: Marvel can't require Universal to pay them a million dollars in ones, while spinning around in circles, and simultaneously spinning 16 plates in the air just to seek approval for a project. They have to provide a process that is reasonable, and does not require undue effort (see above) or circumstances (ie: only submitted on the 3rd Tuesday of June in a leap year) to complete .

But once Universal starts the reasonable submission process (fills out the necessary forms and submits them with a detailed project plan)...Marvel can approve or reject more or less at their whim. They own the IPs, so they can be as fickle or permissive as they wish.

Last edited by pilferk; 12-28-2012 at 09:13 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk

Actually,they can. I mean..they likely can't come out and SAY it's because they want to thumb their nose at Universal...but they don't really have to.

Reasonable approval refers to the process of seeking approval, not in the decision making, itself.

In other words: Marvel can't require Universal to pay them a million dollars in ones, while spinning around in circles, and simultaneously spinning 16 plates in the air just to seek approval for a project. They have to provide a process that is reasonable, and does not require undue effort (see above) or circumstances (ie: only submitted on the 3rd Tuesday of June in a leap year) to complete .

But once Universal starts the reasonable submission process (fills out the necessary forms and submits them with a detailed project plan)...Marvel can approve or reject more or less at their whim. They own the IPs, so they can be as fickle or permissive as they wish.
Yes! I guess what I'm getting at is say, hypothetically, Disney group goes to marvel and says if that agreement gets cancelled we will be a land/park whatever(just spitballing here) that is entirely dedicated to marvel characters. Marvel can realistically do whatever they want can't they? Could marvel end the agreement with universal if it means putting the company in a better place?
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Yes! I guess what I'm getting at is say, hypothetically, Disney group goes to marvel and says if that agreement gets cancelled we will be a land/park whatever(just spitballing here) that is entirely dedicated to marvel characters. Marvel can realistically do whatever they want can't they? Could marvel end the agreement with universal if it means putting the company in a better place?
Nope, they can't end the agreement.

They can only "not approve" expansions, additional attractions, or significant changes to existing attractions that Universal proposes for IOA.

Disney and marvel could spitball any "what if" scenario they want. The thing is: Until/Unless the agreement is nullified by Universal, it's sort of a waste of resources/manpower to do it. I'm sure there's some folks itching with blue sky ideas...but I doubt they'll spend much time on them when there is other, more "productive" work to be done.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
True I didn't even think about that. Disney is basically getting free publicity at universal. It's genius(insert evil laugh here)
actually i view it completely different...people watch these movies and say i want to experience these rides...guess ill go to universal

kind of like when disney family channel shows harry potter movies
both benefit
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
fannatic
Mouseketeer

Sorry guys, but I think the Marvel contract with Universal is ending sooner than later. There's more to the quick build of the Transformers (very similar to Spider-Man) than they're telling. In a recent interview, Bob Iger admitted that they are limited to what they can do with Marvel in WDW and DL. But, he also said that there was behind the scenes talk about "assuring the Marvel legacy". Still, I think it will be a while before we see any big Marvel attractions at WDW. According to several sources that I've read, Disney was already at work designing a Star Wars theme park for WDW when they first made the merger announcement. My question is more about what will happen if Disney buys Hasbro and has the Transformers rights?
fannatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
it must bother Universal to some degree that for every t-shirt they sell Disney gets some money.
Universal doesn't care about this. Universal bought the Marvel rights back in the days when Marvel was struggling and desperate. Universal is paying Marvel now just as they always have. The fact that Marvel is now owned by Disney is irrelevant. Uni has the upper hand in the arrangement and they're not going to ever give them up. They wouldn't have invested millions in the 3D makeover at Spiderman if that were the case. And there's nothing Disney can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannatic View Post
Sorry guys, but I think the Marvel contract with Universal is ending sooner than later.
Sorry, ain't happening. Ever.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Universal likely doesn't care one way or the other...they pay the same amount whether Marvel is owned by Disney, Stan Lee, General Motors, the guy who claims he owns all of Stan Lee's creations, or me.

They might be more concerned if they wanted to negotiate something new (say, they'd like to do something in Hollywood, since they let that clause in the original agreement expire), or need certain approvals - but I also doubt that Disney/Marvel would be too hardball on approvals either, because Universal could take them to court and tie up everything, and especially if it's something Disney can't use anyways, wouldn't make ANYTHING on it if they don't let Universal do it.

Disney did not buy Marvel for the parks...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
actually i view it completely different...people watch these movies and say i want to experience these rides...guess ill go to universal

kind of like when disney family channel shows harry potter movies
both benefit

Yes, Uni loves the publicity that brings folks into their parks.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #24
SammySlythers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
it must bother Universal to some degree that for every t-shirt they sell Disney gets some money
You think that's bad? Fun Fact: Universal gets all the collectible wands and time turners etc. for Wizarding World from a 3rd party company called the Noble Collection. Guest what? Last year Disney bought the Noble Collection! Every time Universal sells a wand - Disney makes money.

In all seriousness though, Universal is pretty happy with the current Marvel arrangement since Disney's Avengers movie brought in a ton of people who spent a ton of money on souvenirs. At the end of the day as long as they spend money in their parks Universal is happy.

SammySlythers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #25
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySlythers View Post
Guest what? Last year Disney bought the Noble Collection! Every time Universal sells a wand - Disney makes money.
The Noble Collection is a private held company. The Noble Collection is not owned by The Walt Disney Company.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Where is the contract?

I want to read it, and I'm too lazy to google it.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannatic View Post
Sorry guys, but I think the Marvel contract with Universal is ending sooner than later. There's more to the quick build of the Transformers (very similar to Spider-Man) than they're telling. In a recent interview, Bob Iger admitted that they are limited to what they can do with Marvel in WDW and DL. But, he also said that there was behind the scenes talk about "assuring the Marvel legacy". Still, I think it will be a while before we see any big Marvel attractions at WDW. According to several sources that I've read, Disney was already at work designing a Star Wars theme park for WDW when they first made the merger announcement. My question is more about what will happen if Disney buys Hasbro and has the Transformers rights?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That being said, there is a ton of evidence, not least of which is the multi-million dollar upgrade to Spidey that Uni did about a year ago, that indicates the deal isn't ending any time soon.

There are basically 2 realistic ways that the deal ends: Uni decides to end it or Disney pays Uni a ridiculous (think close to a billion dollars) amount of money to "convince" Uni to end it.

Uni has given no indications they're even considering ending the deal (in fact, quite the opposite, given the capital investment in Spidey).

A Disney buyout of the deal makes pretty much zero fiscal sense. Uni would want Disney to cover the costs already incurred for Marvel Island, the costs to redevelop the area into something with similar appeal, cover the lost revenue that would result in shuttering that area for redevelopment AND a premium "bonus" to let the IP go back to Disney. Then Disney would have to pay to develop the Marvel attractions at WDW. I don't see any reason why Disney would do that, all things considered.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #28
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
Where is the contract?

I want to read it, and I'm too lazy to google it.
There's a copy out on one of the SEC web sites (in the form of an SEC filing). There are other discussions of the Marvel/Uni contract here on the disboards, and there is a link in one of those threads.

I don't have it bookmarked on this PC, or I'd just post you a link....
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #29
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

http://http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/1...vel-theme-park

This is a little old, but I am out of the loop usually.

What is everyone's thought of them building a Marvel Park compared to introducing the rides at the parks where they are able?
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
I don't see any reason why Disney would do that, all things considered.
Exactly.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: