Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #1921
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

As I hinted here a few days ago, I've been a busy bunny over the Christmas break, and have finally managed to complete all of the remaining room layout plans for Alligator Bayou for my site, to accompany the Magnolia Bend mansion building plans which have been on there for a few years. This has been a very regularly requested resource, so I hope people will find it useful.

So as a New Year's present here are the first few (preferred) buildings as an example...

I won't paste all sixteen in here, but the rest can be found via hotlinks on the map at www.portorleans.org/alligator-bayou.php.

The process involved cross-referencing quite a lot of photos and other research material (Google Earth helped with the locations of stairways, etc) and trying to spot the errors in some basic plan information that I'd been sent a while ago. I think it's now fully accurate, but if anyone spots any errors please let me know.

I'll update the existing mansion building plans into the same format shortly, to maintain a consistent style.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 01-01-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1922
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
They do accept walk-ups if there's a slot which hasn't been pre-booked, but to be honest I don't think I'd risk it as it can be quite popular. Even if you book it a day or two in advance once you know your plans better, that might save disappointing your DD.

Andre
I just looked on the Disney website to see if I could book a carriage ride. According to the site, there's no availability at all from 2/3 - 2/8. Could that be possible, or is this yet another glitch in their new web design?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #1923
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
I just looked on the Disney website to see if I could book a carriage ride. According to the site, there's no availability at all from 2/3 - 2/8. Could that be possible, or is this yet another glitch in their new web design?
I'd call them to check. I didn't even know you could do it online to be honest.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1924
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

I have a room question. We haven't stayed at POR in a few years and with all the new room changes...

we thought for the best chance to get a mansion room (non royal) we booked a river view. Is our thinking correct?
we would have preferred a king bed but....we prefer the mansions over the Bayou.

did we think right??? thanks

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1925
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
As I hinted here a few days ago, I've been a busy bunny over the Christmas break, and have finally managed to complete all of the remaining room layout plans for Alligator Bayou for my site, to accompany the Magnolia Bend mansion building plans which have been on there for a few years. This has been a very regularly requested resource, so I hope people will find it useful.

So as a New Year's present here are the first few (preferred) buildings as an example...

I won't paste all sixteen in here, but the rest can be found via hotlinks on the map at www.portorleans.org/alligator-bayou.php.

The process involved cross-referencing quite a lot of photos and other research material (Google Earth helped with the locations of stairways, etc) and trying to spot the errors in some basic plan information that I'd been sent a while ago. I think it's now fully accurate, but if anyone spots any errors please let me know.

I'll update the existing mansion building plans into the same format shortly, to maintain a consistent style.

Andre
All I can say is WOW! Disney's PR department (and certainly their webmasters) could take a few lessons from you, Andre.

Happy New Year, everyone. And, by the way, in just
One Week
I'll be checking into POR! Getting ready to compose my fax for the room request, and really looking forward to see the Royal rooms.

I do have a question, though (and please forgive me - I know it's here somewhere! ) - but how long does it take to walk to POFQ from Parterre or Oak Manor?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #1926
ThreeKMom
DIS Veteran

Not sure if this has been answered before, sorry if it was!

Can anyone tell me the room #'s for the Royal Guest Riverview rooms?
I looked at the map but I'm not sure which rooms are waterview and which are riverview.

Thank you!

Love & Pixie Dust
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #1927
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

I called 1-407-WDW-PLAY and got a carriage ride booked
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #1928
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

29 days til we check in at POR.

Andrewilley, enjoying your portorleans.org website as well.

Will be in touch with you Venomhatch at a later date to get that room request fax form. (And with Andrewilley's detailed room number locations, I can drive the room assignment team crazy with specific room number request. J/K)

The only thing I'm nervous about is the busses. Last time we stayed at POP and had a vehichle. Unless I get a super cheap last minute rate, we're not getting a rental vehicle this time. I figure we can take a cab the few places or times it might be more convenient.

I think I'm more excited than the kids ....

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #1929
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Congrats Andre!!!!!!! Now I see portorleans.org has clickable AB sections to show layouts like your mansions, very cool!!!

Last edited by Venomhatch; 01-01-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #1930
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Will be in touch with you Venomhatch at a later date to get that room request fax form. (And with Andrewilley's detailed room number locations, I can drive the room assignment team crazy with specific room number request.
Ok just PM me. I'll be around!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #1931
PrincessKyleigh
Earning My Ears

I'm a long time lurker jumping in to say hello. I've been keeping up with this thread and Andre's site for about a year now, knowing that we'd most likely be staying at POR on our next trip. My girls love the RGR and we'd love to stay somewhere new this time.

DH has finally given me the go ahead to start planning our trip for this year. We haven't booked yet, but are looking at Thanksgiving week or the week leading up to Christmas. I know those are both really busy times of the year, but I'm a teacher so my choices are limited. We really want to see the Christmas decorations again too. The trip is going to be a surprise for the girls, so I'm really excited.

Andre, your site convinced my parents to come and check out POR with us. Thanks. I also have to say this thread is wonderful as I've gained a lot of valuable information from everyone here, especially Andre and Venom.

March 2005 Yacht Club November 2005 Yacht Club
December 2006 Poly Novermber 2007 Disney Magic
November 2009 Contemporary July 2010 Poly
July 2011 Contemporary December 2013 POR
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #1932
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
29 days til we check in at POR.
32 days for us! Just booked our flights tonight. Getting so excited!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #1933
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney-Kim View Post
we thought for the best chance to get a mansion room (non royal) we booked a river view. Is our thinking correct?
we would have preferred a king bed but....we prefer the mansions over the Bayou.
There are 45 official River View rooms in Alligator Bayou versus 27 in the non-Royal mansions, so the booking logic probably works the other way around. There are actually a lot more River View classed rooms in the Royal buildings (92 in fact) due to the configuration and orientation of the buildings. King Bed rooms are more evenly spread (54 in AB vs 40 in the regular mansions) and can include all view types, including the river. If I were you I'd go with a King Bed booking if that's what you ideally want, and request the mansion buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
All I can say is WOW! Disney's PR department (and certainly their webmasters) could take a few lessons from you, Andre.

I do have a question, though (and please forgive me - I know it's here somewhere! ) - but how long does it take to walk to POFQ from Parterre or Oak Manor?
Thanks for the compliments, it was a bit of a task but I'm really pleased with the results so far (and hopefully there may be more info to add soon). If anyone does find them extremely useful, there's always the lil' old "Donate" button on my website should anyone feel like to contributing toward the server costs, etc.? Just sayin'...

The walk to POFQ from Parterre is the shortest route from POR, and Oak is the second shortest. From some Parterre rooms you could be into the POFQ grounds within about 3-4 minutes, and just another 5 mins or so to the main building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKMom View Post
Can anyone tell me the room #'s for the Royal Guest Riverview rooms?
I looked at the map but I'm not sure which rooms are waterview and which are riverview.
Without going into specific room numbers, basically all of the 'wing end' rooms overlooking the river count as River View, plus the middle river-facing rooms on the TOP floor only of the central section of both buildings.

Andre

Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #1934
ThreeKMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks Andre, you've answered my question perfectly!

I have been lucky enough to upgrade from POP to a RGR and save a little money too! I haven't been to POR since it was Dixie Landings and I can't wait to see it again! We will be checking in 2/3!

Which bus stop would you recommend?

Love & Pixie Dust
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #1935
ScoMar
Earning My Ears

Home from POR!

We stayed there from Dec. 25 - 30. POR was awesome! We had four rooms, two and two connected, first floor, two were corner rooms, right by the pool, short walk to bus depot and a little bit of a longer walk to main lobby, bigger pool, cafeteria, etc., but I didn't mind as I loved seeing parts of the resort on our walk.
We had our Christmas dinner at Boatright's. It was delicious! My fiance (we got engaged during our stay at POR!), and I went on a carriage ride and purchased one for my brother and sister-in-law for her birthday. Fiance says this was the highlight of his trip! There were a couple of nights that we ate in the cafeteria, prices were not horrible, and food was good!
The only times we had a 'problem' with buses, was the day we were going to Epcot, we had a 45 minute wait, and one night coming back from Downtown Disney, we waited about 20 minutes then decided to take the boat back. It was cold that night, so it was either stand in the cold and wait, or be cold on the boat and head back. I figured if we were going to be cold, we might as well be moving at least. lol

Our first night there we took the boat to DD and our group of 13 serenaded the boat driver with a Christmas song. He applauded and thanked us.
I can't say enough good things about POR. We loved it and will be back, hopefully for a honeymoon!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: