Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #166
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I'm still looking for myself in your photos but no luck. We did the underground tour as well but the next day, it was brill wasn't it.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #167
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Omgosh how I would LOVE to go to Seattle!

I worked for Starbucks for over 7 years so i'm a Starbucks fanatic and it would be amazing to go to the first one!

Also, i've read about the best donut place up there - Voodoo Donuts. I first saw it on the Travel Channel years ago, and ever since I just knew I had to get to Seattle someday. Plus, DH wants to visit there too.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #168
SarahandPaul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post

I worked for Starbucks for over 7 years so i'm a Starbucks fanatic and it would be amazing to go to the first one!

Also, i've read about the best donut place up there - Voodoo Donuts. I first saw it on the Travel Channel years ago, and ever since I just knew I had to get to Seattle someday. Plus, DH wants to visit there too.
Seattle is a great place to visit. The first Starbucks is just like the rest but they do sell merchandize that can only be found there (first Starbucks, original Starbucks...etc). As for Voodoo Donuts, I'm going to have to burst your bubble because that is in Portland, Oregon.
10/04 DL; 04/05 DL; 10/05 OKW DisneyMoon;10/06 OKW; 12/08 Pop Century; 12/09 AKL (Girl's trip!); 10/10: BCV and our 5th Anniversary! 10/11 7night Eastern Carribbean cruise on the Magic;10/12 4nights on the Dream and 5 day at POFQ; 06/13: First trip with baby! 3 nights at BWV and 7 nights on the Fantasy
SarahandPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #169
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahandPaul View Post
Seattle is a great place to visit. The first Starbucks is just like the rest but they do sell merchandize that can only be found there (first Starbucks, original Starbucks...etc). As for Voodoo Donuts, I'm going to have to burst your bubble because that is in Portland, Oregon.
You know what, after I posted this I was like, "Wait! I think it's in Oregon!" and completely forgot to come back and edit it! Thanks for setting it straight! Seattle has Top Pot right? Those donuts are stinkin' delicious too!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #170
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Ooooooh, a bonus land portion! I love the market where they throw the fish!

We had an aweseom relaxing time!

I've continued my PTR into a TR, the link is in my signature, I think the TR starts around page 12 or so. I can't figure out how to get the mods to move it over to the TR part. I've PM'd a couple of them but it's still in the PTR section.
I'm glad you had so much time for relaxation. We don't do much of that on vacation. I'll be right over to check out your report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I'm still looking for myself in your photos but no luck. We did the underground tour as well but the next day, it was brill wasn't it.
Maybe you'll spot yourself in the tour pics I did love the tour. I thought it was hilarious!

Quote:

I'm not sure I was at the right Starbucks. I remember someone saying it was near Pike Place, but I think there were two, and we just went to the one near the main entrance. It was pretty big though. And super busy.

Quote:
I don't remember seeing any special products, but I was just trying to figure out the line... people were lined up in all the wrong places...
Quote:
You know what, after I posted this I was like, "Wait! I think it's in Oregon!" and completely forgot to come back and edit it! Thanks for setting it straight! Seattle has Top Pot right? Those donuts are stinkin' delicious too!
I didn't think Voodoo sounded like something I'd heard about before my trip, but we do make a stop at Top Pot later
happenin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #171
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Seattle Underground Tour and Lunch

Finally! I'm back and ready to finish this report! I was hoping to get it done soon after the semester ended, but with the holidays, and my bright idea to paint two rooms in our house on our days off, this is the first free time I've had. And I'm on call today, so I may have to leave this off again at some point. I had a lovely Christmas with friends and family, and last night, my husband and I went to bed around 10 pm pacific time, so we saw the New Year get rang in in New Orleans and Nashville and called it a night. I think it was the first time I didn't stay up until midnight since I was a child. My husband is an accountant at a major hotel on the strip and there is absolutely no time off given in January because they have end of month, end of quarter, end of year, and they get audited all in January. Since we knew he was going to have a long, busy day ahead of him, we went to sleep early so he could be well-rested. A few other exciting things happened during the semester: we saw Rock of Ages and Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's Soul 2 Soul show at my husband's hotel, and my husband surprised my with tickets to Aerosmith back in early December for no good reason other than he knows I love them. I have pictures and video from the Aerosmith show I'll share with you later. Now, on to the Undergroud Tour!

I don't know why I don't have a picture of the front of the building, but it was right next to the Utilikilts place. They started the tour inside their building with some background information about Seattle. In a nutshell, the whole city was built from wood, like most old west cities, one day it burned, but they also had problems with sewer drainage and the tide, so they decided to build again above the old city. When they figured out how long that would take, they just decided to raise up the roadway. That created a problem for when horse-drawn carriages went off the road they crashed below on the sidewalk, and when people were drunk, they fell off the ladders that took you up to the road to cross the street and such. They eventually built up the buildings more and paved sidewalks at the street level and the original sidewalks became a sort of tunnel system. The original fronts of the buildings are still down there and most business just use them for storage and that sort of thing. Then we were divided into groups and sent off with our guides. These cool purple glass tiles in the cement are actually skylights so you could see underground.

Underground

Seattle before the fire.

The skylight from below. You can't really tell from the photo, but the light that comes in is very bright and not at all purple like you would think from the purple tiles.

Tunnel

We came back up and went down again across the street from this parking garage. The tour guide told us it was called something like the sinking ship garage.

After the tour, we wandered down by the water and decided it was time for lunch. We stopped at a place on the pier that had pretty good reviews. I can't remember what it was called, but I was kinda bummed when I figured out it was a chain. They have locations in CA, Long Beach and Huntington I think. It was good, we were just hoping to try something unique to Seattle.

Bloody Mary

We must have been pretty hungry, because I don't have pics of the food. After lunch, I wanted to walk towards the Edgewater Hotel. My husband loves the Beatles and they had stayed there many moons ago. We saw some interesting things on our way over there.

This kinda amazed me. I know there are many people that are dissatisfied with the president, but to compare him to Hitler?

I had to take a picture of this manhole cover because it had my high school logo on it, silly, but I was pretty spirited

I remember passing the cruise terminal where the Princess ship was and thinking if that were ours, we could have walked to our hotel...
The best thing about Seattle was that we could walk everywhere. We decided we wanted to walk towards the Space Needle and check out the museum that had the King Tut exhibit.
The needle from the bottom.

The King Tut exhibit was sold out, so we skipped it, and we had been told not to go up the tower unless the sky was clear because you couldn't really see anything. Some clouds had rolled in, and the tower seemed much smaller than the one's I've been up before (the CN tower in Toronto and the Stratosphere here in Las Vegas) and much more expensive, so we skipped it. This guy seems to be making eye contact with me... creepy... I just wanted a pic of the front of the building.

By this time it was getting a little chilly so we headed back to the hotel. It was a really cool building so I wanted to take some pictures of it before we went in.

We put on some warmer clothes and headed out to dinner at something like Lucky 7 Diner? Again, I failed on the photo front... After that we decided we wanted to call it an early night since we would be flying home the next evening and would want to get up early so we could be packed and leave our bags at the front desk. But first, we wanted to find some wine to take back to the room and enjoy. On our search, we spotted this:

I work for Walgreen's pharmacy, so I always take pictures of them in other places. Some are very unique, some are cookie cutter, like this one. Only you'd never see it in brick in Vegas.

Up next: The Duck!

Last edited by happenin2you; 01-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #172
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Ducks!

The one thing I knew I wanted to do in Seattle was ride the Ducks, so the next morning we got all our stuff packed and ready to go, and we headed right over to the ducks. We got there a little early, so we explored the grounds of the EMP museum.

We were going to be on the middle duck.

And we're off! Backside of the EMP.

Front of EMP.

The duck plays music and tries to get people to dance, it's pretty funny.

Park with art sculptures.

Sculpture in the background.

There's the Edgewater Hotel. You can fish from the room balconies.

Balconies you can fish from.

Where the Seahawks play.

They make the best soda here!

Where the Mariners play.

The duck driver made a joke about this art sculpture saying the Mariners can't win because there's a hole in it where they should be catching the ball. Then right after we got home, they had that no-hitter. Guess you don't need to worry about catching if no one can get a hit off your pitcher.

The Occupy Seattle protesters were among these cool blue trees. The duck played them some music and asked them to dance and they yelled expletives at us. Good to see well-rounded, mature people speaking out for the cause...

A really cool-looking firehouse.

Me!

Next we went over this bridge so we could take the duck down into the water.

Up next: The Duck Swims!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #173
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

What a fun update, the underground city sounds really cool! My sister lives near Seattle and we keep saying that we will go visit her (in warm weather) but haven't made it up there. Hopefully we can get there and add that tour to our list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post

After the tour, we wandered down by the water and decided it was time for lunch. We stopped at a place on the pier that had pretty good reviews. I can't remember what it was called, but I was kinda bummed when I figured out it was a chain. They have locations in CA, Long Beach and Huntington I think. It was good, we were just hoping to try something unique to Seattle.

Bloody Mary

We must have been pretty hungry, because I don't have pics of the food. After lunch, I wanted to walk towards the Edgewater Hotel. My husband loves the Beatles and they had stayed there many moons ago. We saw some interesting things on our way over there.
I'm going to guess from the table cloths and the locations you mentioned that you guys ate at the Crab Pot! We love the one in Long Beach and I always thought that it was weird that they had two So Cal locations and one in Washington! Did you guys for for the whole bib and they dump your food out on the table and you eat with your hands?

Looking forward to hearing the rest!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #174
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm so glad you are back. I am definitely planning a long weekend in Seattle some of these days...seems like such a cool city!

Jill in CO
Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #175
SarahandPaul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post
I'm glad you had so much time for relaxation. We don't do much of that on vacation. I'll be right over to check out your report!

Maybe you'll spot yourself in the tour pics I did love the tour. I thought it was hilarious!

I'm not sure I was at the right Starbucks. I remember someone saying it was near Pike Place, but I think there were two, and we just went to the one near the main entrance. It was pretty big though. And super busy.

I don't remember seeing any special products, but I was just trying to figure out the line... people were lined up in all the wrong places...

I didn't think Voodoo sounded like something I'd heard about before my trip, but we do make a stop at Top Pot later
I didn't want to say anything but from the picture you looks went to larger (not original one) and not the first one.
10/04 DL; 04/05 DL; 10/05 OKW DisneyMoon;10/06 OKW; 12/08 Pop Century; 12/09 AKL (Girl's trip!); 10/10: BCV and our 5th Anniversary! 10/11 7night Eastern Carribbean cruise on the Magic;10/12 4nights on the Dream and 5 day at POFQ; 06/13: First trip with baby! 3 nights at BWV and 7 nights on the Fantasy
SarahandPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #176
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
What a fun update, the underground city sounds really cool! My sister lives near Seattle and we keep saying that we will go visit her (in warm weather) but haven't made it up there. Hopefully we can get there and add that tour to our list!

I'm going to guess from the table cloths and the locations you mentioned that you guys ate at the Crab Pot! We love the one in Long Beach and I always thought that it was weird that they had two So Cal locations and one in Washington! Did you guys for for the whole bib and they dump your food out on the table and you eat with your hands?

Looking forward to hearing the rest!
It was a really great place. We loved that we could walk everywhere. There were some hills though, so it did get a little tiring.

The Crab Pot sounds right. We didn't get the feast thing. I'm only recently trying seafoods, and I surely am not a fan of cold food, so it may be a while before I try some cold seafoods. The feast looked to me like chilled things, but I could be wrong. I think I was looking specifically for shrimp, so I had some shrimp tacos. I have no idea what Chris ate. I just remember the table next to ours had the feast and when they brought it out I was like HOLY CRAP! What is all that?!? My bloody mary was good and spicy, the way I like it, and Chris really enjoyed his chowder. We were seated in this wierd outdoor area that was completely covered with yellow tarp, so that's why we look so jaundiced in the pictures... Anyway, I really enjoyed that place and specifically remember thinking if we take another cruise out of Long Beach with Chris' parents (we did Mex. Riv. last Jan. with his family), we should eat there before or after because his dad would love that feast. I also have this weird aversion to eating with my hands. Call me prissy, . I'm from the Buffalo area and I rarely will touch a chicken wing, I'll have chicken fingers with a fork instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm so glad you are back. I am definitely planning a long weekend in Seattle some of these days...seems like such a cool city!

Jill in CO
I'm glad to be back! Thanks for waiting patiently for me to finish. It's been driving me crazy. Seattle is definitely a super cool place, the vibe really reminds me of Denver. Very laid back and good food and friendly people all over. I'll take any opportunity to go back.

Quote:
I didn't want to say anything but from the picture you looks went to larger (not original one) and not the first one.
Yeah, I was pretty sure I wasn't at the right one. Was it inside the Pike Place?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #177
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

Sorry guys, I was really planning on getting this done today, but Photobucket is just so uncooperative with me. I don't know why. I had to completely close out of it twice and in the process deleted all the pictures off of my computer. Luckily, they are all backed up on DVD and the inaccessible photobucket Hopefully this weekend. Have a great week and a great new year!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #178
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Alison beat me to it! Yep I think it's the Crab Pot!

What a cool underground tour!

And love the joke about the Mariners no-hitter!

You got a really cool shot of a rainbow when you're looking up at the hotel. Very pretty and artistic!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #179
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We went to the Crab Pot as well for lunch! I've lost track of what day we're on now but I think it was the same day. I'm going to see if you in my photo! Nope your not.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #180
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you

Yeah, I was pretty sure I wasn't at the right one. Was it inside the Pike Place?
Yes the original Starbucks (which is only technically the original.....long story...haha) is in the strip at pike place. But let me tell you, I have been down to the market a lot, and have never felt the need to stand in that horrible line to get in! Haha! You found a better one.

Btw we went to crab pot this summer! We loved it!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: