Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Medication Question

My mil read somewhere that all prescription medications need to be in their original bottles. She is concerned about this because they do mail order meds and that would require her to pack several large bottles. This is a problem for a couple of reasons. 1) It takes up precious luggage space since we were hoping not to check any luggage and 2) She really doesn't want to risk taking ALL of her meds with her in in case the get lost. What should she do in this regard? Can she just pack a 10-day travel pill organizer? Help/advice appreciated -- we leave in 3 days!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Here is the US government website information:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...xml#Medication
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Here is the US government website information:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...xml#Medication
Thank you for the link. If I am reading that properly, the meds that require the original bottles are those that are narcotics and/or potentially addictive drugs. All others like blood pressure meds and such don't need this?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family View Post
My mil read somewhere that all prescription medications need to be in their original bottles. She is concerned about this because they do mail order meds and that would require her to pack several large bottles. This is a problem for a couple of reasons. 1) It takes up precious luggage space since we were hoping not to check any luggage and 2) She really doesn't want to risk taking ALL of her meds with her in in case the get lost. What should she do in this regard? Can she just pack a 10-day travel pill organizer? Help/advice appreciated -- we leave in 3 days!
What she needs to have is the label that is on the original container. That has the prescription information (what it is, dosage, date, and usually a description of the medication, doctors name, etc). I believe if she has a printout from the pharmacy with this information she'll be fine. I take my original bottle.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I went to CVS, and they sell tiny (2.5 x 3") ziploc bags that are perfect for 2-3 weeks each of *most* meds. They also provided me with extra sticky labels that show the prescription number, name, dosage, etc. That label is what they want, not the bottle. They work wonderfully, and I've never had a problem. I take 8 different medications, so there is NO WAY I can carry all the original bottles (I tried once. It was sad).

Anyways, again, it's the original *label*, not the original *bottle* that the TSA really wants. As long as you have those labels, you should be good to go.

If you don't have a CVS, or can't find the bags, Ziploc makes a snack-size ziploc bag that is not a whole lot bigger.

Call the mail-in pharmacy, they can probably send you extra labels if they don't come with her prescriptions.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

DW splits up her meds into different carry on bags in case one gets lost.
The main bag she is resposible for has the original med information and I or someone in our group will have the extras in baggies.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

My mail order pharmacy includes a sheet that can be taken with you.

However, I always get my first dose of any new medication at the local pharmacy....30 day supply....and keep that bottle for travel.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family

Thank you for the link. If I am reading that properly, the meds that require the original bottles are those that are narcotics and/or potentially addictive drugs. All others like blood pressure meds and such don't need this?
Two main reasons for the valid labeling is 1: to validate it is YOUR prescription, and 2: it identifies the actual medication by color/size (white, round). There are thousands of pills out there, the customs agent won't necessarily know a generic non-narcotic migraine medicine from a Vicodin, or a blood pressure medicine from a Valium. Without the label, you risk confiscation, or at least significant delay if they decide they need to "identify" the drug. Hopefully, your pharmacy will be able to assist you. I have the same issues with my prescriptions, too, ugh!
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
and keep that bottle for travel.
I have a spare bottle from my meds stashed in a drawer for travel. I can portion out what I need into it and leave the rest safely at home.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

DH travels all over the world with his pills in a travel container and hasn't had one problem with them. The problem he HAS had was with his injectable drug, in Australia, as it is illegal to have there without a prescription. He had the label on the box, so it was fine. Just a blip.

A friend of mine had a liver transplant, and has many, MANY drugs she travels with. She has now been to and from Mexico, to and from Europe (two different airports), and is currently in Belize, traveling with her (enormous) pill box.

This is not something we worry about.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Unlike the PP, I always travel with meds in bottles with labels. I don't want to risk having meds taken because someone "thinks" my generic allergy med might be something else. Not too mention, the pharmecy that I pull out of our carry-ons for 4 people I want proof it is not all mine

Meds and Documents are 2 things I don't mess around with when traveling. Clothes, make-up... can be replaced. But documents and meds are going to be real hard/difficult to replace and will ruin the trip for me.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: