Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
DW and I usually did laundry early or late, and stayed in the laundry room reading to make sure we got in and out as quickly as possible. And to us, the only thing worse than someone who doesn't remove their laundry in a timely fashion is someone who takes someone elses laundry out of the washer or dryer and sets it on the sand covered, laundry soap covered counter.
This part made me laugh. Maybe they would learn a lesson from having their stuff on a messy counter, but then again maybe not. If they get there when the dryer shuts off, they won't have this happen to them. I always stay in the laundry room like you do, because I don't want that happening to my laundry. My time is important, too, but clean laundry that has not been touched by other people is more important. I'd like to be doing something else, but for me it's just not worth the worrying about what will happen to my laundry if I'm not there.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

If Im sitting there waiting on my laundry and the washer stops, and there is a dryer that is not running with someones items in it, the can expect to find their stuff on the sandy laundry soap covered table if they are lucky. No room there? Well it gets put on the chair, bench seat, etc.

I have no tolerance for people who do that, as well as none for those who think that they can reserve seats in the theater or at the pool.

Cmon people, dont think you can run up and drop a shoe on 5 chairs by the pool then go back to your room to shower, then get breakfast and return to find your reserved chairs.

Ill not only sit there but I will also move the shoes to the side of the deck.

Oh, and to you 2 people who told my family you were reserving the row of seats in the theater for your family that showed up 30 minutes later..... I enjoyed the mother of your family giving your father (who loudly took exception to our family sitting in the center of the row of 30 seats that you 'reserved')grief telling him that saving seats was not permitted..........

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
03/08/2014 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506& Cabana 3- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer

We were just talking about this today. On one of the last days of our 11 day Med Cruise in 2011 I had several loads to do. The laundry room was hopping. We worked together forming a "line". People could leave for a few minutes and check back for their place in line. We even called some who had been waiting quite a while when their turn was approaching. It made for about 10 happy travelers.

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

Just my 2 cents....we were on the 14 night EBPC with two kids, so we had to do laundry. So did most of the rest of the ship. I brought a pop-up mesh hamper and used it to collect our laundry and take it to the laundry room. I had post-its and wrote a note saying "the white hamper is ours". I stuck that on whatever washer or dryer I was using.

I usually made it back in time to get my own things out of the machines, but I was sometimes a bit late due to the baby waking up, etc. People always took my things out and put them in our hamper per my note.

I never saw anyone "save" a machine for someone else. I did notice the same family or person using more than one machine at a time. I think that is OK in a huge laundromat, but I think it's a bit rude when there are only 5 machines and anyone can see how busy the laundry room is.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Cheerio
Welcomed Guest
Has adorable photos in her signature...

I didn't have to wait to put my clothes in the washer but did have to for a dryer. I set my watch for 2mins before the timer being up so I had time to get there before either stopped running. I didn't want anyone touching our clothes either.
Disney Fantasy February 2014 - Trip Report (in progress)

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
MrsParr
Earning My Ears

Just back from the seven night out of miami. The last sea day the laundry was hopping, and a CM was there, removing items promptly from dryers and putting them in plastic bags in a neat stack. That kept things moving and avoided any confrontations. When a couple of the dryers broke down, he arranged for our clothes to be dried at the central facility and returned to our room at no charge.
MrsParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsParr View Post
Just back from the seven night out of miami. The last sea day the laundry was hopping, and a CM was there, removing items promptly from dryers and putting them in plastic bags in a neat stack. That kept things moving and avoided any confrontations. When a couple of the dryers broke down, he arranged for our clothes to be dried at the central facility and returned to our room at no charge.
That is good to know!

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

On the recent EBPC, there had been some conflicts in the deck 2 laundry room that resulted in a CM being assigned to stand in the hall monitoring the people doing laundry. They looked totally bored but there didn't seem to be as much squabbling after that.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

We are spending 2 1/2 weeks in Europe. Since we will be going to multiple hotels & the cruise, I am limiting everyone to one 25 inch suitcase and a carry-on like a backpack. I will be doing laundry!!

How long does it take to wash and dry a load?

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
ro8821
Earning My Ears

Best I remember its about 30 minutes to wash a load. We washed a load of clothes on the ship half way through and we did it first thin in the morning. There wasn't anyone in there. That was at about 730 or 8 in the morning. So we will always do ours early morning to beat the crowd.
ro8821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro8821 View Post
Best I remember its about 30 minutes to wash a load. We washed a load of clothes on the ship half way through and we did it first thin in the morning. There wasn't anyone in there. That was at about 730 or 8 in the morning. So we will always do ours early morning to beat the crowd.
We've found the best times to do laundry are early (DH & I are early risers, even on vacation) and during dinner. Just keep an eye on the time and pop on back to the laundry room between courses to switch from washer to dryer. Another good time is the turnover day, if you're doing a B2B. You put the load in the washer before disembarking, stick a post-in on the washer saying you're a B2B and you'll be back. Once back onboard, switch to the dryer while noone else is onboard.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

We were on the EBPC and were using the deck 7 laundry room. It was $1 per wash and $1 per dry. You swiped with the keys to the world card. What bothered me was people looking for their clothes in the dryer, they would open the dryer that was running, determine it wasn't their load of clothes, and close the door, but would NOT push the start button. When I mentioned this, they looked at me like how dare I tell them what to do! This was a constant problem. There were plenty of washers/dryers available, so I don't see a problem using more than one. If there weren't multiple available, and I had more than one load (as the original poster asked), yes, I would put my next load in the washer I had just unloaded.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

i don't get it. if i need two or three washers and there are two or three not in use, why would i not use them? maybe i misunderstood a p.p. but i'm not going to use one thinking maybe someone else will come in and need one. i'd rather spend 30 minutes doing three loads than spending 90 minutes doing three loads.
did i get it wrong?
plus, i will wait a few minutes to see if someone comes to empty their dryer but if no one shows up, for sure i'm moving the cloths out and i'm not spending a lot of time wiping down a counter. rude? maybe but i think its more rude to not take into account that i'm not the only person on the ship.
not looking for flames, just calling it as i see it. not everyone will agree.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdes1 View Post
Just my 2 cents....we were on the 14 night EBPC with two kids, so we had to do laundry. So did most of the rest of the ship. I brought a pop-up mesh hamper and used it to collect our laundry and take it to the laundry room. I had post-its and wrote a note saying "the white hamper is ours". I stuck that on whatever washer or dryer I was using.
I love that; good idea!

I never leave laundry anyway, however, having had half of my clothes stolen from an apartment machine years ago. But for a person who hasn't had that experience and doesn't know what it's like, that's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
i don't get it. if i need two or three washers and there are two or three not in use, why would i not use them?
I think the OP was saying that if they were using a washer, there's a line to use other washers, and they come back, they'll IMO jump the line and keep on using "their" washer.

I gotta say that I disagree wholehearted;y with that idea. I would never in a million years even think of doing that. My use of one washer for one load does not give me rights to that washer. It gave me that one use. If there's a line to use washers, I get to get back into that line. It would never even occur to me that the washer was still mine. Never will, either.

But then, I wouldn't have left the area to begin with.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
i don't get it. if i need two or three washers and there are two or three not in use, why would i not use them? maybe i misunderstood a p.p. but i'm not going to use one thinking maybe someone else will come in and need one. i'd rather spend 30 minutes doing three loads than spending 90 minutes doing three loads.
did i get it wrong?
plus, i will wait a few minutes to see if someone comes to empty their dryer but if no one shows up, for sure i'm moving the cloths out and i'm not spending a lot of time wiping down a counter. rude? maybe but i think its more rude to not take into account that i'm not the only person on the ship.
not looking for flames, just calling it as i see it. not everyone will agree.
I agree. If I have 2 loads to wash, and there are 2 washers available, I'll use them. If there's only one, I'll put one load in. And look and see when the next washer will be available (there are timers on each of them). And I'll wait for it.

My take is I'm in the laundry room, I get to use what's available, when it's available.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: