Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
aprilfoolwed
DIS Veteran

US/IOA in the rain?

Just looked at the forecast for next week and temps near 80 but RAIN for most if the week. is this trip a washout if we have rain? what will run during rain? we have already ruled out the water rides due to it bring winter but I feel like we are not going to get to do anything in our 4 days! hoping someone can give me a silver lining like rides stay open anecdotes will stay away with RAIN...

2009 (Windsor Palms), 2010 (1-day visit from Tampa area), 2011 (Emerald Island), Universal Studios Trip - Jan 2013 (Rolling Hills) - Waiting for Mommy to finish her Master's Degree, then we're off to see the World!
aprilfoolwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Seeker615
DIS Veteran

We went in early September and it rained on and off most of the days we were there. All the indoor attractions are open so me just headed to those. The only things we had to wait on were the outdoor rides like the big coasters or the Free Fall.

Being a lot of the attractions are indoors you should be fine.
Seeker615 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfoolwed View Post
Just looked at the forecast for next week and temps near 80 but RAIN for most if the week. is this trip a washout if we have rain? what will run during rain? we have already ruled out the water rides due to it bring winter but I feel like we are not going to get to do anything in our 4 days! hoping someone can give me a silver lining like rides stay open anecdotes will stay away with RAIN...
That's funny...I can't seem to find a local forecast for next week that shows rain most of next week. Where are you looking? If you aren't looking at a local source then you are doing yourself a disservice. You should never use a national weather service to see what's going on here in Orlando. Anything outside of 24 hours prior should not be believed as our weather here changes all the time.

Anyway...going to the Studios in the rain isn't bad considering most attractions are indoors and if you bring/buy a poncho, there shouldn't be much of a problem. Since more of the attractions at IoA are outdoors, you'll have more of an issue staying dry there than at the Studios.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
wholesomejoe
Earning My Ears

So your saying that it would be silly to follow accuweather.com's weather forecast?

I'm not going until the 24-27th but I sure wish I could predict the weather.
wholesomejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
jahber
DIS Veteran

It's all conjecture anyway. Yesterday I looked at the temp because it felt cold. It was 47 at 11 am. The high was forecast at 59 and the low at 48. Which, technically, we hadn't even hit yet. It never got anywhere near 59, needless to say. At least 3 times this month the forecast has been off by 12-15 degrees. When the high is supposed to be 70, that's a huge difference. Good luck planning for that!

Just go, bring your poncho, and have fun!

Eta: I'm in east Orlando
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i've spent many a day at the darkside when it rained and when it poured.

use a poncho and you'll be fine.

rain typically clears out the parks so that is a plus for less waiting for rides/shows/stores, etc.

in october, i had 3 rain days.
it wasn't an issue except the water taxis do not operate when lightening is within 5 miles of the park.
so walking from citywalk/park back to the hotel is the only change in my days then.

when you are on vacation, i know you don't want to deal with rain.
but, it does happen so don't let it spoil your fun in orlando!

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesomejoe View Post
So your saying that it would be silly to follow accuweather.com's weather forecast?

I'm not going until the 24-27th but I sure wish I could predict the weather.
I my opinion...yes. If you are coming to Orlando, look at the local television stations and newspapers for their forecasts. You can get an idea from a national outlet but that's about it. Stick with local outlets.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
aprilfoolwed
DIS Veteran

OP here -

Thanks for all the input!

We are going Jan 7-12, and I used the Accuweather App to check on the Orlando forecast. I'll pull up a local news station and check that as well.

We vacation in Orlando during the summer normally, and we are very prepared for the Florida thunderstorms that roll in. But we've never been to FL in January, and I was surprised to see a day calling for rain all day! We only have a few days there, so I am getting a little panic-y (you should see me checking the local PA forecast to make sure we can get off the runway!).

We have umbrellas and ponchos and don't mind getting a little wet. But I would be very disappointed if we couldn't get on some of the attractions our whole visit. We have one-park-per-day passes, so two days at each park. If we miss anything those days - we won't see it.

Hopefully, we'll have good (enough) weather to enjoy the majority of things. And I'll watch the local forecast and try to plan the rainiest days to be in the Studios.

2009 (Windsor Palms), 2010 (1-day visit from Tampa area), 2011 (Emerald Island), Universal Studios Trip - Jan 2013 (Rolling Hills) - Waiting for Mommy to finish her Master's Degree, then we're off to see the World!
aprilfoolwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
ZYanksRule
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfoolwed View Post
OP here -

Thanks for all the input!

We are going Jan 7-12, and I used the Accuweather App to check on the Orlando forecast. I'll pull up a local news station and check that as well.

We vacation in Orlando during the summer normally, and we are very prepared for the Florida thunderstorms that roll in. But we've never been to FL in January, and I was surprised to see a day calling for rain all day! We only have a few days there, so I am getting a little panic-y (you should see me checking the local PA forecast to make sure we can get off the runway!).

We have umbrellas and ponchos and don't mind getting a little wet. But I would be very disappointed if we couldn't get on some of the attractions our whole visit. We have one-park-per-day passes, so two days at each park. If we miss anything those days - we won't see it.

Hopefully, we'll have good (enough) weather to enjoy the majority of things. And I'll watch the local forecast and try to plan the rainiest days to be in the Studios.
The only reason they'll close a ride, though, is due to lightning. As long as there's no lightning, you can ride anything, even if it's raining.
ZYanksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
xApril
DIS Veteran

It rained pretty much all day today and there still seemed to be a good amount of people.

I worked so I can't comment on the wait times, but I think I heard a 60 minute wait for Forbidden Journey around 5pm or so.

Outdoor rides will stay open as long as there isn't lightning in the area. It was a misting rain almost all day, with some periods of harder rain. I saw Dragon Challenge continuously running throughout the afternoon.

Just be prepared for the rain and you'll be fine. The rain is cold so I'd suggest bringing a jacket along with the poncho.

Have fun!
xApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
gschmerl
Not ignored by the Tag Fairy any longer!!!
Fun lover
Has seen the TF

My nephew is there right now. He posted pictures of them at the parks yesterday. They were bundled up and wet and having a ball in the rain. They rode Forbidden Journey...all the big coasters, etc. No problem in the rain.
gschmerl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: