Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
majermom
majermom

2013 Cruise will be new... New is good, right?

July 2013 will find us on yet another Disney cruise. (booked while on the Fantasy last week for some good savings After the Dream and the Fantasy, this cruise will find us on the Wonder in Alaska. I know the cruise will be fabulous because nobody does it better the DCL but I want to wrap my head around the many differences we will experience on this trip. The location of course from the Caribbean & the Bahama's. And an entirely different ship from the Fantsay & the Dream. Is there a specific link to all things DCL Alaska? Can I ask former DCL Alaska cruisers to post a few thoughts on their Alaskan experiences.

Thanks so much.... and Happy 2013 to all!!!
majermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
engle
DIS Veteran

We have been on 4 DCL cruises and went on the Inaugural Alaskan. All I can say is WOW. What an experience. DH and I went last minute and had a once in a lifetime trip...it was amazing. The sights on Tracey Arm day were stunning...we had heard we would spend the entire day on deck and we couldn't imagine that, but we did!! We ziplined in Ketchikan, did the Mendelhall Glacier via helicopter in Juneau and did the best of Skagway that included the White Pass Train ride (LOVE!!!), the salmon bake and Liarsville and the Red Onion Salloon. All in All a really really wonderful trip. You will have a GREAT time!!! Also, we LOVE the Wonder. It is a lovely classic ship. And there are alot of trip reports and links with all things Alaska on these boards...do a search, you will find them!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Alaska is nothing like the Carribean! It was my DH's favorite itinerary even better than the EBPC which was his favorite up to that point. The views are breathtaking, even when "at sea". You are very close to land most of the time cruising out of Vancouver -- which itself was an amazing experience! The cruise terminal is wonderful also. Very simple to stay at the Pan Pacific [booked through hotwire.com at a great price], have our luggage picked up that morning in the room, and take the elevator down to the terminal. The White Pass was incredible! We went to Mendenhal on our own. Watching for whales while we cruised along with my family was unforgettable.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

You will LOVE DCL Alaska!!!! I have only cruised on the Magic and Wonder(4 cruises thus far) and I think you will enjoy the smaller ship. I cruise on the Fantasy this summer and haven't quite decided how I will like the larger ship with more people.

I believe there are some trip reports that are out there that you could look at. When I did the Alaskan Cruise in 2011 we left out of Vancouver. I did a pre and post night(Fairmont Pacific Rim) with Disney so that I could sightsee(Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Olympic Cauldron, etc.). I didn't have time to see everything I wanted to see and could have easily stayed two more days to see it all.

You will need long pants, etc. even during the summer. I went in August and the high was 50 degrees. If you don't have a verandah room, you will probably spend a lot of time in the bars or up on deck watching the scenery go by when the ship isn't in port. We didn't do Tracy Arm because there was no visibility. Instead, we cruised Endicott Arm and saw Dawes Glacier. It was fabulous and the crew commented that they are never able to get as close to Sawyer Glacier. We spent about one hour in front of the glacier with the captain re-positioning the ship so that everyone had a great view.

I would love to cruise Alaska again and would try to do the ABD add-on the next time.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We LOVED our Alaska cruise earlier this year.

Link to TR in my sig.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Another family that LOVED Alaska on the Wonder..dress in layers..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Princess Bette
DIS Veteran

Haven't cruised Alaska, but our first Disney cruise was on the Wonder and we loved the ship! You won't be disappointed! Enjoy!

March 24-28, 2013 Disney Dream Spring Break Cruise with MaMaw
Nov 30-Dec 8, 2012 Fort Wilderness at WDW
July 5-10, 2011 Disney Dream 5 Night Double Dip Bahama's Cruise
March 21-24, 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Spring Break Bahama's Cruise
Princess Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

We're headed to Alaska this July too. I'm very excited about it. And I fully expect to spend the whole day on Deck for the Tracy Arm.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We ended up being out on deck wrapped in blankets every time we were moving. We didn't want to miss a moment!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: