Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
tajz90
Mama D

Polite laundry procedures

When doing laundry aboard, if you have more than one load would you start wash, leave and when wash was completed, load it into the dryer and start a new wash even if there is line waiting to use washer?
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
wildel1021
Mouseketeer

I see no problem with someone that has more than 1 load using the same machine again.

I do however have a BIG problem with the person who puts their laundry in the washer or dryer and does not come back for a long time and then has the nerve to complain when someone has taken it out so others can use the machines.
wildel1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Ditto--the problem is not people needing more than one machine (whether all at once or sequentially). The problem is people who don't come back on time to get their stuff out of the washer or dryer. There is really no excuse for this as the machines have timers on them. If your activities are more important than the laundry at that time, choose a different time to do the laundry!

My feeling is that you "rented" the washer for 30 minutes....not for all day!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

I have no problem with someone using the same washer or dryer again to finish their laundry, even if there is a line.

Ditto, the taking care of you stuff when it is finished and not leaving it around in the machine. I will wait 3 or 4 minutes after something has finished before taking it out. They could be on there way. If there is no one waiting the stuff can sit in the machine all day, I don't care.

My pet peeve was on a cruise last summer, I had finished washing my stuff, took it out and headed to a dryer that a woman was unloading. She told me I couldn't use it, she was saving it for her friend who was also doing laundry. This "friend" was no where to be seen and there were other people now coming into the laundry room looking to move their stuff over to the dryers as well. Thankfully someone else stepped it and told her that was not acceptable procedure, her friend could wait and take care of their stuff like everyone else. I am not sure how I would have handled it myself.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Wait until you get home to do the laundry. It's much less stressful. It's my vacation I'm not doing laundry.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
engle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
Wait until you get home to do the laundry. It's much less stressful. It's my vacation I'm not doing laundry.
OH!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!!! Or send a few must have items out to be laundered...it isn't really that expensive and all of the work is done for you!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildel1021 View Post
I do however have a BIG problem with the person who puts their laundry in the washer or dryer and does not come back for a long time and then has the nerve to complain when someone has taken it out so others can use the machines.
Just like reserving a chair by the pool, wearing inappropriate clothes in the MDRs, or saving seats in the theater. Shows a genuine lack of common courtesy (and, unfortunately, Disney has to put those rules in writing because of such inconsiderate guests).

You can't stop rude people; best to ignore them and enjoy your vacation.

And I really agree with a PP who said they don't spend valuable time doing laundry on vacation! We don't either, the laundry/dry cleaning service on the ship is very reasonable and fast.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
tajz90
Mama D

We normally do not do laundry on vacation, but when we are vacationing for a 2 week period, sometimes it's necessary.

I think people should be considerate if others and their time.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

DW and I usually did laundry early or late, and stayed in the laundry room reading to make sure we got in and out as quickly as possible. And to us, the only thing worse than someone who doesn't remove their laundry in a timely fashion is someone who takes someone elses laundry out of the washer or dryer and sets it on the sand covered, laundry soap covered counter.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
eculmone
Mouseketeer

is there a fee to use washers/dryers? I was going to pack a laundry pod and fabric softener sheet but do I need coins for the washer dryers?

I personally like packing clean undies when it's time to get off ship just in case luggage opens up accidentally in airport or who knows?
RPH - 2010; HRH - 2011; GF-2011; Disneyland California 2012; Disney Cruise & HRH 2013; AKL-2014

eculmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildel1021
I see no problem with someone that has more than 1 load using the same machine again.

Amen! I wasted a long time on my vacation waiting for rude people to come get their clothes!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculmone
is there a fee to use washers/dryers? I was going to pack a laundry pod and fabric softener sheet but do I need coins for the washer dryers?

I personally like packing clean undies when it's time to get off ship just in case luggage opens up accidentally in airport or who knows?
There is a fee and you pay by swiping your room key. It's been a couple years since I cruised and I don't remember the cost.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
We're a family of 5. When we got to FL in a year for our cruise we'll probably spend 2 weeks on vacation (one week of that being the cruise). There is no way on earth I can pack enough clothes for 14 days for the 5 of us (dh and i can rewear clothes and save space, but the kids get everything dirty! I'd probably have to pack at least 50 outfits to not do laundry). Also, we don't want to have to haul around that much stuff.

When we went to Japan, for 3 1/2 weeks, well, doing laundry was unavoidable. We went with 6 outfits for the kids, and 4 for dh and I. I did laundry every day to every other day. Fun, no, but necessary, yes. We were using public transit and there is no way I was going to haul more luggage then necessary on the trains!

Point being, laundry on a vacation of over a week is completely unavoidable. I will be doing laundry in FL or on the cruise. It's life. I even do laundry when we go to DL (on our off day usually). I'll have to price the laundry service on the cruise, but I think someone said $2 per item. So if it's that much and I need shorts and shirts washed for each of us that's going to be $20, for one outfit each! Yikes! Not to mention things like undies and socks.

So yes, in an ideal world, no laundry on vacation, but that's not always realistic.

And as one who does laundry on vacation, those who are polite when doing their laundry and don't clog up the machines are much appreciated!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculmone View Post

Yes, there is a fee...$2 per wash/dry last time I sailed. There is no need to bring quarters though as the machines don't take them. There are card swipers on each machine and the cost gets billed to your onboard account.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
eculmone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
Yes, there is a fee...$2 per wash/dry last time I sailed. There is no need to bring quarters though as the machines don't take them. There are card swipers on each machine and the cost gets billed to your onboard account.
Thanks
RPH - 2010; HRH - 2011; GF-2011; Disneyland California 2012; Disney Cruise & HRH 2013; AKL-2014

eculmone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: