Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Aimee810
Earning My Ears

Rose Parade planning

Looking to plan a trip to see Rose Parade in 2014 -knocking things off Gma's bucket list. Can anyone give me some info?? Has anyone ever been? Tips??
WDW/SeaWorld: Oct '13 Westgate Vacation Villas
Disney Magic Cruise: Mar '14 (4-night Bahamas)
Disney Dream Cruise: Dec '14 (4-night Bahamas) + 3n @ Poly
Disney Wonder Cruise: Aug '15 (7-night Alaska)
London/DL Paris: April '16 (10th anniv)
Tokyo Disneyland: Spring '18

Bucket list = visit all Disney parks and cruise all Disney ships

Me DH DD (5) DD
Aimee810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I've been there a few times, the most recent this past year. We always go right after midnight and camp out for the parade.

What I would recommend is that if you are going to go watch it, try to get a spot on Colorado Blvd. We always did that in the past. This past time, I went with a group and we were towards the end of the parade. It's 5 miles long, and towards the end it shows.

You can also go to the official site and pay for bleacher seating.

It's a lot of fun, and I say that people should go at least once.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
mshrm
Mouseketeer

I'm wondering on this too. Was hoping someone had some good 'comando' style advice on how to do this parade. We're going to DL for NYE's week and would like to try and see parade too. We're out of towners so have minimal supplies.
mshrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

You mentioned Gma's bucket list. I'm guessing she would be lots more comfortable in reserved bleacher seats instead of camping out. Check with AAA (or another travel agency) and see what package deals they have. They've started advertising for January 2013 so now would be a good time to get ideas in planning 2014.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
LauraMonteros
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb Here's what you need to know

I write an online column for Examiner.com about the Tournament of Roses, so you can get a lot of information there. You don't have to camp out to get a good place, but there are things you should know.

I don't like promoting my column in a forum, but it's really the best way for you to be able to get a full picture.

I'm the Tournament of Roses Examiner. You can search for that, or for "Tournament of Roses 101" to take you to an article with links to information.

Most of the info is good for any parade, though some of it is specific to 2012 (the date of Jan. 2, for example). Hope it helps. Also, the L.A. Times will be posting their "Pasadena Tournament" magazine online in late December, and I have contributed the sum of my knowledge to that!
LauraMonteros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
asunutgirl
Mouseketeer

We've been three times. I would definitely suggest bleacher seating for the most comfortable seats. It also means you will get a good night's sleep the night before! Seats usually go on sale in early February - the earlier you purchase the more likely you are to get the seats you want. Seats near the start of the parade are the most expensive and they go down in price the further down the parade route you go.

Have fun! It's a blast!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
eeudj
Mouseketeer

We decided to do the last minte trip to Disney over the holidays .. yeah I know crazy!! Well we have just thrown in the Parade : ) anyone who has been tips are appriciated. We will be driving from Disneyland area the moring of.. we have been told to leave about 5:30 to be in our seats by 8. any suggestions?
eeudj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
asunutgirl
Mouseketeer

It will probably only take you an hour or so to drive there but it is best to leave early - 5:30am sounds about right. I don't know where your seats are but if they are on the south side of the parade then make sure you come in from that way. Take the 10 freeway not the 210. Get off the freeway early and take Rosemead north to California. You'll avoid having to cross Colorado Blvd. If you are on the north side, take the 210 and get off near where your seats are. If you have purchased parking, there should be information on which streets are the closest to your parking lot.

I also recommend stopping somewhere after you get off the freeway to use the facilities before you get to the parade area. There are portable bathrooms along the route but the lines get long before the parade. Much cleaner and less crowded to stop, stretch your legs and take care of things.

Dress in layers. It is usually cold in the morning but will warm up once the sun comes up. If you have time, walk up and down the parade route a bit before taking your seats. Bring your camera and have fun!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
eeudj
Mouseketeer

We have purchased grandstand aeats and parking, in addition tickets for the post parade float viewing!! Thanks so much.. we are really looking forward to it!!
eeudj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile **** A HUGE THANK u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMonteros View Post
I write an online column for Examiner.com about the Tournament of Roses, so you can get a lot of information there. You don't have to camp out to get a good place, but there are things you should know.

I don't like promoting my column in a forum, but it's really the best way for you to be able to get a full picture.

I'm the Tournament of Roses Examiner. You can search for that, or for "Tournament of Roses 101" to take you to an article with links to information.

Most of the info is good for any parade, though some of it is specific to 2012 (the date of Jan. 2, for example). Hope it helps. Also, the L.A. Times will be posting their "Pasadena Tournament" magazine online in late December, and I have contributed the sum of my knowledge to that!

.....your information is very helpful.

Off topic question:
Q: Do you know if the Silverado Winery is part of the Napa / Sonoma Wine tasting excursion??

only 362 more days....

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: