Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Shopping onboard

I'm reading some threads that mention spending $$$ onboard for souvenirs, etc. I know Disney is going to be different compared to Princess cruises or Royal Caribbean but what all is there to buy onboard? Obviously it can't compare to WDW. I know I've read people mention charms/jewelry. Do they have lots of selections for say keychains, pens, and things like that? We are thinking about sailing on Magic and I know this is one of the smaller ships so shopping will probably be considerably less. I love WDW and I love to spend money while there so I was just wondering how little the shopping might be onboard.
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoppity View Post
I'm reading some threads that mention spending $$$ onboard for souvenirs, etc. I know Disney is going to be different compared to Princess cruises or Royal Caribbean but what all is there to buy onboard? Obviously it can't compare to WDW. I know I've read people mention charms/jewelry. Do they have lots of selections for say keychains, pens, and things like that? We are thinking about sailing on Magic and I know this is one of the smaller ships so shopping will probably be considerably less. I love WDW and I love to spend money while there so I was just wondering how little the shopping might be onboard.
The stores are comparable to the resort stores except the merchandise is DCL geared. They do have exclusive things you can buy there like when we went on the Dream it was the Inaugural season and they had special clothing and souvies for that. They also have other things like watches, sunglasses, clothing, jewelry, etc. then there is another part devoted to liquor. On the Wonder, the stores were smaller and had things like the candy you would find at Disney resorts and merchandise like watches and jewelry. Sometimes you can find them on clearance at the Disneystore online but if you see something catches your eye, buy it.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They have a reasonable selection of merchandise very similar to what you'll find in a resort shop.

Compared to other lines we've cruised, DCL had more casual clothing and much more kid stuff. The average price point on DCL seems lower although there are certainly many high priced items available. On one other ship, other than the daily specials there was nothing under $25 or so--on DCL, there are lots of things at that point or less.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
conan979
Earning My Ears

Someone did mention it before, but the only differnce to us is it's the only place you can get DCL merch. My kids love the Donald Duck Aquaduck shirts, can be bought only on the boat. It's cool stuff to where around becuase no one has it unless they took a cruise. Man, that makes me sound like a snob...
conan979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan979
Someone did mention it before, but the only differnce to us is it's the only place you can get DCL merch. My kids love the Donald Duck Aquaduck shirts, can be bought only on the boat. It's cool stuff to where around becuase no one has it unless they took a cruise. Man, that makes me sound like a snob...
Don't worry, that's why there is an entire industry based on "experience" tee shirts - you are not the only one. I buy my kid a new tee in every place I visit on business. First question I get after a trip: "Where's my shirt, daddy?"
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

A lot of the DCL stuff seems more special and coveted to me because I can't get it at the park or online. I can't even just visit the ships store when it's in port. I have to be a passenger or employee. Since access to the stores is so limited for me and what I like now may not he there a year from now or on the ship I sail on, I make sure to buy what I know I will want when I'm there. When I went to Aulani I felt the same way. Hawaii is just not as readily accessible to me like the parks are.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
QueenGuinevere
Earning My Ears

Don't forget the Castaway Cay Tervis tumbler! CC is the only place to get one. I treasure mine!
QueenGuinevere is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: