Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

This is intriguing. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

I forgot to ask:

What time does ME start up in the morning??? How do you get on - arrangement wise? Like what do you show them so that they'll let you on? I don't suppose you give them flight details ahead of time or else would they be looking for you the night before?? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be prepared in case we decide to do this. I don't want to mess up and let down 6 other people!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

This is a great idea. However, last time we looked into it the price difference was not enough to justify. I guess it depends on the pricing at the Hyatt and whether you are staying at a value, mod or deluxe at Disney. Either way, well-rested kids is a great thing.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmom View Post
Hi Everyone,

We flew from Boston to Orlando for a long weekend stay in early December and stayed at the POLY. Typically we take the first flight of the day down, but this trip we changed it up a bit and I wanted to share our experience because I would highly recommend it to others.

Since this was a super-quick trip I didn't want to factor in a "travel day." My family consists of myself, DH, DS7 and our twin DDs3. An early flight would have meant getting up at 4:30 to get to the airport and I knew the day would be wasted so we decided to work on Friday and fly out in the late afternoon (I'm a teacher and Hubby left a few hours early).

Our flight was scheduled to land at 7:10 p.m. which would have meant that after the whole Magic Express and hotel check-in procedure, getting settled, etc it would be way past their normal bedtimes by the time they got to sleep and would effect the next day.

SO....

What we did was flew down and stayed at the Hyatt that is built into the airport. The rate was over $300.00 cheaper than the POLY would have been. We were in our room less that 15 minutes after walking off the plane and the kids were asleep by 8:00. We went to sleep soon after which was an awesome way to end a workweek and transition into vacation mode.

The next morning we woke at 6:00, headed downstairs, grabbed a Starucks coffee and bananas for the kids and went straight to Magic Express. There was NOBODY there except staff. Literally not another person.

I am so use to long lines, waits, crowded buses and multiple hotel stops.

Instead we walked straight onto the waiting bus and our driver immediately drove our family of 5 to the POLY. He said mornings are typically like that and he usually serves as a private chauffeur until around 8 or 9.

We checked in, dropped off our bags and had breakfast at the hotel. We were at the park for rope drop at 9.

I will purposely plan travel like this on future trips. Normally we lose an entire 1/2 a day traveling, dealing with lines at Magic Express and check-in and then waiting around for our room because it's typically too late to go to a park. Plus the fact that we saved so much on the hotel for the 1st night was great. The airport Hyatt was very nice and the staff was friendly. They have a nice rooftop pool and there are tons of shops and restaurants.

Anyway I just wanted to share because I don't know if I would have thought to do this or even elected to do it if we were on a longer trip, but it was a great way to save some $, save some time and start our trip refreshed and ready to take on Disney.
WOW that is awesome. I will keep that one in mind for the future.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post
I forgot to ask:

What time does ME start up in the morning??? How do you get on - arrangement wise? Like what do you show them so that they'll let you on? I don't suppose you give them flight details ahead of time or else would they be looking for you the night before?? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be prepared in case we decide to do this. I don't want to mess up and let down 6 other people!
ME run 24/7. You call ME and give them your reservation number which proves you are eligible to ride ME. Plus you will receive ME vouchers in your Mickey Mail. They are your "Ticket to Ride".

They do ask for your flight information. However, this is for scheduling purposes only. If they have 1000 people arriving around the same time, they need to have enough buses ready. When we have arrived late and stayed at the airport hotel, I have given ME the flight information for a flight that is landing about the same time we want to be up and heading for our resort.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

I think that it's a great idea, especially time wise. If you want a full day in the parks on your "travel" day, you really have to catch an early flight.

patclairesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
ME run 24/7. You call ME and give them your reservation number which proves you are eligible to ride ME. Plus you will receive ME vouchers in your Mickey Mail. They are your "Ticket to Ride".

They do ask for your flight information. However, this is for scheduling purposes only. If they have 1000 people arriving around the same time, they need to have enough buses ready. When we have arrived late and stayed at the airport hotel, I have given ME the flight information for a flight that is landing about the same time we want to be up and heading for our resort.
Thanks!

I've used ME twice but never got any Mickey mail so I've never known what people were talking about.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

I think i may have to use your idea. I am a teacher as is DH. We are leaving for Florida from Manchester on April 12th... I am leavign work at 3 for our flight at 5pm. We have a stop over and are not getting to Orlando until after 11 pm. We were going to wait to get on the Magical Express in hopes of making it on before midnight and then checking into AOA. Maybe this would be a better plan.

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

We did this on our way home once. We got cheap flights home early in the morning. Instead of paying for an extra night at the BC we stayed at the Hyatt. In the morning I brought down the luggage and checked us in for the flights early then went back to the room and showered and got ready to go. Walked downstairs, grabbed a bite to eat at the gate and headed home. We left Disney at midnight the night before and were sleeping by 1:00 am. Worked great!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #25
camdensmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
I think i may have to use your idea. I am a teacher as is DH. We are leaving for Florida from Manchester on April 12th... I am leavign work at 3 for our flight at 5pm. We have a stop over and are not getting to Orlando until after 11 pm. We were going to wait to get on the Magical Express in hopes of making it on before midnight and then checking into AOA. Maybe this would be a better plan.
We'll be flying out of Manchester on either the 12th or the 13th of April as well. I also need to teach on the 12th and am nervous about making it to MHT for a 4:30 flight. We live about an hour away.
camdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #26
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
searlproudbottom
DIS Veteran

We Have been using camdensmom plan for the last 3 years staying at the Hyatt. Our Flight usually arrives around 11:30 pm. We have not used ME for our checked baggage. A couple of months ago I called ME and discussed our plans. That is arriving late, staying at the Hyatt and taking ME over the next morning. The CM specifically said that it shouldn't be a problem because ME doesn't deliver luggage that lat at night. Our Next trip is in June and we will be using ME luggage service. I will report back to let you all know how it works.

Searl
searlproudbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden

Thanks!

I've used ME twice but never got any Mickey mail so I've never known what people were talking about.
How did you get your ME vouchers if you did not get mail?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

How did you get your ME vouchers if you did not get mail?
They have you on their schedule. Otherwise foreigners, who btw do not ever get Mickey Mail wouldn't be able to use ME.

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
jamescanuck2001
Mouseketeer

will be doing this in february

just debating whether to stay at hyatt for $ or marriott using free night voucher

not crazy about the hassle of taking shuttle back and forth from marriott
jamescanuck2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: