Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #796
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

(Continued from Previous Post)

Heaven Can be Found in the Most Unlikely Corners

I had asked for some directions on how to head back to the Cabrillo. It was getting to mid-afternoon and the day was getting hot. I figured it might be time to start heading back.

The cook at the Barbary had provided very vague directions about following the road round and getting on to Mission.
Surprisingly, his vague directions made sense once I got back into the car. The road round was a one-way street with a wide circular switchback and it kept going until it hit Mission. As always, I took the left fork…..which was heading back to the Silicon Valley direction.

“Heaven can be found in the most unlikely corners” is yet another quote from the Mitch Albom book. It seemed appropriate to quote it now.

Because…..as I was driving along Mission, probably about 5 minutes down the road…..look what I saw out of the corner of my eye!

Donnelly Chocolate store sat at a corner of a side alley. It was amazing that I spotted it at all! But then again…..with a claim of being One of Ten Best…..maybe not.

Naturally I stopped.

I walked out with three different varieties of these bars.

I can honestly say – Heaven can truly be found in the most unlikely corners!
The chocolate here is tending more towards the taste of a slightly bitter dark chocolate. It is not overly sweet and the maple toffee bar I bought was just outstanding. I also bought two nut varieties….and whilst I do prefer my chocolate sweeter, the chocolate from this shop was pretty darn good.

There was a man behind the counter who turned out to be super chatty once he realised I was from Australia. It had been a life’s dream for him to go deep sea fishing in the Coral Sea. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I lived the entire continent’s length away from the Coral Sea.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #797
PrincessInOz
in

Closed on Monday

After purchasing my goodies from that little shop of Heaven, I made a spur of the moment decision that was to prove costly a little later on.

One of the places that I had wanted to go visit in Santa Cruz was the Seymour Marine Discovery Centre at the Long Laboratory. It had been written up as a smaller cousin to the Monterey Aquarium; but aside from size, it seemed to be much more interactive and provided more hands-on experience than the Aquarium.

I had asked the man serving me at Donnelly’s Chocolate for directions to the Seymour Marine Discovery Centre. In fact, if you take a look at my pictures from the Natural Bridges State Park, you might even make out the Seymour Marince Discovery Centre building!
Turns out I had been less than half a mile from this place when I was at the Natural Bridges State Park. I had to double back in that direction and take a right turn instead of a left; which took me along Delaware Avenue; which is how I knew that I could have parked for free to see the Monarch Butterflies.

Anyway….back to the Seymour Marine Discovery Centre.

When I had been convinced to head down to Santa Cruz by our cousins last night, I had forgotten one pertinent fact. The Seymour Marine Discovery Centre was closed on Monday.

My Old Fogie brain has been completely left out to dry.

The WORST thing is that I did note it down in my diary of things to do; complete with an underlining of GO VISIT ON TUESDAY. A return trip is definitely in order!

For now, it was time to press on. I'd lost a bit of time that didn't seem that much to me at this stage.....but I was to realise how costly it was at my next stop.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #798
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Very nice photos from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I haven't been to the Beach Boardwalk in years and it is nice to see pictures again. I do remember the old indoor Miniature Golf Course where I have played in there during my childhood. It did look quite empty that day.

Nice pictures of Donnelly Chocolate store and the chocolates.

It will be nice to see you go to the Seymour Marine Discovery Centre on Tuesday.

Very nice update.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #799
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Very nice photos from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I haven't been to the Beach Boardwalk in years and it is nice to see pictures again. I do remember the old indoor Miniature Golf Course where I have played in there during my childhood. It did look quite empty that day.

Nice pictures of Donnelly Chocolate store and the chocolates.

It will be nice to see you go to the Seymour Marine Discovery Centre on Tuesday.

Very nice update.
Thanks Bret.

Sadly, I'll have to come back to the Seymour Marine Discovery Centre on another trip. If I'd checked my notes on Sunday night, I might have swapped things round and gone to Santa Cruz on a Tuesday instead of the Monday. As it is....well...I had a great time anyway, with just the regret of wishing I'd checked my notes earlier.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #800
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Great updates! I read both but forgot to post. You really take some fantastic pictures.

The close ups of the chocolate aren't doing me any favors. Now I want dessert first tonight.

Happy New Year!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #801
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Great updates! I read both but forgot to post. You really take some fantastic pictures.

The close ups of the chocolate aren't doing me any favors. Now I want dessert first tonight.

Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you too! Thanks for popping in again. I really appreciate the feedback and comments.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #802
PrincessInOz
in

Of Vivid Colours and Where Falcons Swoop

When driving along Highway 1 – the Pacific Coast Highway – the Cabrillo Highway – stunning vistas are a given. Most travellers will drive the Central Coast stretch from Santa Barbara through to Monterey and then head inland to the 101 to make their way to San Francisco. There is no denying that this stretch of the Cabrillo is beautiful and packed with those stunning vistas that so mark this coastal drive.

Me? I’ve long learnt to love the stretch of the highway that stretches from Santa Cruz through to Pacifica. There is usually much less traffic to contend with and the views are no less stunning than down south.

With so much sand and surf, one does get a little blasé about looking at the ocean side; so my first stop on the way back was at Waddell’s Creek. This part of the road is one end of the Skyline to Sea trail. The other end of the trail is closer towards Saratoga, some 35 miles away; and it would head up to that mountain ridge where the Big Basin Redwood State Park is.

Waddell Creek itself is a series of two or three small creeks that flow down from Big Basin, joining up along the way, before emptying out at the beach. It looked beautiful today. The colours were just so vivid and bright.

The Skyline to Sea trail takes you out through that country you can see in both shots. It is a 2 night, 3 day way from end to end. I’d like to say that I’d walk it someday…..yeah. Not necessarily on my bucket list.

It was a short drive from here to my next stop. The Ano Nuevo State Park, some 55 miles south of San Francisco, is the site of the largest mainland breeding colony for the northern Elephant Seals. I’d enjoyed getting up close and personal with the seals down at Piedras Blanco in 2011 and had thought to head here to contrast the two breeding sites.

Parking is $10; but because I’d already purchased my ticket at Natural Bridges, I got waived straight through and I parked by the Visitor Centre.

The ranger at the Visitor Centre told me that it would take 2 hours round trip to get to see the elephant seals. It was at this point that I realised that I didn’t have enough time to get out there and back; and make my dinner date with DH and one of his work colleagues! D’oH!

Yes, I know – perhaps the option was to pitch up late. But this particular work colleague was one of those that had crossed over from a work friendship into a personal friendship. I first met her 12 years ago and when we were in New England in 2007, we stayed 3 nights with her.

And because we knew her rather well, I knew better than to be late. She’s rather punctual and she keeps early nights; so an early dinner time had been set.

The ranger and I discussed walking options and in the end, I headed out along the trail to the halfway point. I had really wanted to see if it actually was a 2 hour turnaround.

There is a walking trail that you can follow. It is relatively flat for the most part. The Visitor Centre is the white building on the left side of the picture in the distance.

There is a waterhole along the walk. I could see ducks but not much else. The sign indicated that there were frogs and water snakes living here.

I made it to the halfway station; where there was another ranger there. It must be a pretty quiet sort of job being at this halfway station. I figured by the lack of cars in the parking lot that it had been a slow day today; and I guess ranger 1 must have been in radio communication with ranger 2. This ranger had been expecting me and already knew that I was going no further. At least he consoled me with the fact that as it was still early in the breeding season, there were only about 25 elephant seals out on the beach; all fairly juvenile – no large males with the distinctive noses. And despite me wanting to push towards seeing the elephant seals, with the scenery along the way, I figured the 2 hour estimate was correct and I didn’t have the time to stop.

As it turns out, Ranger 2 was so chatty! And he followed me round chatting for about 10 minutes; so much so that I could barely take any pictures.
This is his favourite view.

Another natural bridge!

The rocky platform where he can occasionally see otters.

Yup, I think you get the idea….the pictures I took were the ones he told me to take!!!

I was saved by that couple in the front….they had made the trek out to the beach and had some questions to ask. I honestly think that if it weren’t for them, ranger 2 would have followed me all the way back to the visitor centre.

At this point I thanked him and high-tailed it back.

Sometimes, life has a way of providing you with little blessings! With everything that had happened today and the chatty ranger, my timing was such that I’d lucked it to the right place at the right time. I also happened to have my nice new long lens on my camera, it just so happened to be out and handy when I heard a bird of prey screech.

As quickly as it dropped down, it flew off.

I might not have seen the elephant seals; but I was really pleased to have been in the presence of a falcon swooping.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #803
PrincessInOz
in

A California Historic Landmark

About five miles down the road, I made another stop. Lighthouses and elephant seals had been on my list of things to-do and whilst I might have given ground on the elephant seals, I was not going to concede on the lighthouse.

At 115 feet high, the Pigeon Point Lighthouse is one of the tallest lighthouses in America. It has been a feature of this stretch of the Cabrillo Highway since 1872 and is one of the California’s Historic Landmarks.

Unfortunately, the tower has been closed since 2001 due to structural issues. I could see that the friends of the lighthouse were actively fundraising but the current estimated repair costs are $11 million. I gathered from a docent that they have raised about 30% of the repair costs to date. It will be a long time before funds are raised and repairs completed.

The complex around the Lighthouse is a Youth Hostel and it would be kinda cool to stay for a night. I gather it is pretty basic facilities and there is always the mandatory chore to complete in the morning after you stay in a Youth Hostel. The complex is where the flags are. There are a series of about 4 or 5 buildings there.

The Fresnel lens has been moved to the lantern room.

At a particular angle, I could see the lens refracting light into all the colours of the rainbow. It took me a while to get the shot as I had some fast talking to do first. So, I have to thank the docent for letting me stand somewhere I was not meant to in order to get the shot. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he got a talking-to by another docent about where he had let me stand; but my luck held with little acts of kindness this week.

I took some time to admire the scenery at the back of the lighthouse. As always, time and tide waits for no one.

And also took some time to admire the scenery of the lighthouse itself.

I really wished I could stay to capture sunset here.

But I still had a dinner date to make and some 35 miles to drive to get back to my destination.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #804
PrincessInOz
in

More International Cuisine – It’s Thai Tonight

I got back to the hotel with 15 minutes to spare and rushed to get ready for dinner. But I first made a detour via the lobby to get a Happy Hour plate. Tonight was Spinach Artichoke dip and hot pretzel night. The dip was tasty enough and the pretzel was lovely and soft.

And as I expected, DH and his colleague were waiting for me in the hotel lobby bang on 6 pm.

Since my arrival in San Francisco, I’d eaten Chinese, French, Japanese, American (by way of that burger for lunch) and we were to add another international cuisine to the list tonight.

Tonight, we were eating Thai.

CAUTION! To those of you with nut allergies, there will be peanuts on the screen in this post. Make sure you have your epipen handy (and I mean you, AussieTravellers!).

We started the Thai fish cakes….

..…with the hot/sour dipping sauce; complete with peanuts.

We had a serve of the deep fried tofu. It was really good!

The red shrimp curry was easily the dish of the night.

We also ordered a serve of chinese broccoli. It was fried Thai style and I didn’t like the way it was done at all.

Our friend had eaten here before and she liked the deep fried fish with Thai style sauce. It’s probably me….but lately, I’ve been finding deep fried fish to be overdone. This was no exception. A little too crispy for my liking.

Despite a couple of minor misses, the food was good. The meal, with tips, came to $60 or about $20 per head. DH and I agreed that we would probably come back for a meal and stick with the curries.

We had a great time catching up and chatting that night. I really like this colleague of DH’s and we have hopes of seeing her in Sept/Oct 2013.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #805
PrincessInOz
in

Out-Shopped Again

We dropped DH’s colleague back at the hotel at a rather early time after dinner. There was still a good hour of shopping time left and we decided to hit Hillsdale Mall. Again, this was more about mental shopping than anything else. I spent the time walking around Macy’s and scoping out the pricing and fashion.

DH managed to buy some tops; his shopping time was more limited than mine and he was much more ready to pull out his wallet when he found something he liked and fitted.

The Malls might shut at 9 pm; but we still had an hour of browsing time at Barnes and Nobles. Actually – I was still doing the browsing and DH managed to pick up 2 books.

I was being completely out-shopped by DH at this stage of the trip! It was high time I did something about this situation.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #806
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Enjoying seeing off the beaten track scenery-I would love to return to San Fran and area and spend a couple of weeks just there in the future. I also enjoy days of just me moseying (sp?) about exploring. Love the lighthouse pics especially.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #807
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

What a shame you didn't get to see the elephant seals But it was good luck with the falcon! And I really enjoyed your lighthouse photos - hope you didn't get that poor docent into too much trouble!

That trail sounds like a nice walk, but probably not something I'll ever get around to actually doing There's a lot more I need to see in California first!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #808
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

That pic of the light through the lighthouse lens is incredible!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #809
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Looks like a beautiful day! The lighthouse pictures were spectacular!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #810
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I love the lighthouse pics! I agree it would be a great place to catch a sunset.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: