Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
chrisd596
DIS Veteran

Online experience

From reading previous experiences, I understand that the internet package on the cruises is very, very slow.

If we take a short 4 day cruise, and I purchase say $10 worth of internet time from dcl, would I be able to quickly log on, shoot out an email to my family and check back later on.

Maybe do that twice during the trip. My kids are older, but I would still want to be in touch at least by email or google voice twice on the trip.

If the internet is THAT slow, would $10 of online time @ I guess .75/min still not be enough time to shoot out and read their email.

I'm not talking about surfing the web and doing a lot, just a couple of minutes one day and a couple of minutes another day.

Let me know your experience. If it's sooooo slow and I would need $30 worth of time to check a quick email, it wont be worth it to me.

Thanks
Chris
chrisd596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

It is extremely slow. Most people recommend composing your email prior to logging into the internet so as to save time/$$$.
DCL blocks the voice/video apps due to the load it puts on the connection. Better that way as it would be a poor connection and very expensive.

Another option would be texting if your phone plan supports it. If I recall correctly it is 5 cents to send and 50 cents to receive, or maybe vice versa.
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

It is dial up speed at best. At worst it is unusable. If you want to use voice apps get off at Nassau and use wifi at a cafe. As PP said compose emails before connection to maximize your time. It is often a problem of connection not speed, since the bandwidth is low the time you waste is often just getting a connection. We have also had cruises where internet was tolerable but there is no guarantee of that.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
3Adevas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd596
From reading previous experiences, I understand that the internet package on the cruises is very, very slow.

If we take a short 4 day cruise, and I purchase say $10 worth of internet time from dcl, would I be able to quickly log on, shoot out an email to my family and check back later on.

Maybe do that twice during the trip. My kids are older, but I would still want to be in touch at least by email or google voice twice on the trip.

If the internet is THAT slow, would $10 of online time @ I guess .75/min still not be enough time to shoot out and read their email.

I'm not talking about surfing the web and doing a lot, just a couple of minutes one day and a couple of minutes another day.

Let me know your experience. If it's sooooo slow and I would need $30 worth of time to check a quick email, it wont be worth it to me.

Thanks
Chris
My advice is skip even trying the ship Internet!!! I had same thought- log in an send a quick email and ck back later. Well I waited until late at night hoping less users would be on and that didn't even help. I spent 3 min on yahoo mail and then it took another 10 min trying to connect to the LOG OFF site u have to go to disconnect and stop the charges so I was charged almost 10$ for what was essentially 3 min of emailing!!! The next morning I took my iPhone off ship with me into port at Cozumel and sat for an hr online catching up with family for FREE while enjoying a Starbucks coffee and people watching! Ship Internet is not at all worth what they charge!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

I was in Jamaica in the summer without my kids and I kept my phone on for texting. Even with my 3 kids, a few friends and unfortunately work a few times I don't think my charges were more then $20. I'm going to do the same thing on the cruise. Shut my data off and leave phone on. My daughter however will have to survive without texting for almost a week. I'll sign her up for therapy when we return..

You bet we'll be making a bee-line to the nearest wifi while in ports.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
chrisd596
DIS Veteran

At&t

The reason I asked is for the last two cruises I have used my att world phone and texted. It was easy, quick and receiving email back from my kids worked very well. It was only .50 to send a text and nothing to receive a text.

(ONly problem is we're considering another cell phone company and it doesn't cover use in other countries. I think the only two cell phone company's that have service at sea or in other country's back to the usa is TMobile and Att.

Thanks for your reply's. It's apparent that the wifi package on the ship is pretty much a waste of time and I don't want to spend my precious time on the ship trying to get out an email.

For that reason, I think ATT service is probably the best plan for us.

Thanks
Chris
chrisd596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd596
The reason I asked is for the last two cruises I have used my att world phone and texted. It was easy, quick and receiving email back from my kids worked very well. It was only .50 to send a text and nothing to receive a text.

(ONly problem is we're considering another cell phone company and it doesn't cover use in other countries. I think the only two cell phone company's that have service at sea or in other country's back to the usa is TMobile and Att.

Thanks for your reply's. It's apparent that the wifi package on the ship is pretty much a waste of time and I don't want to spend my precious time on the ship trying to get out an email.

For that reason, I think ATT service is probably the best plan for us.

Thanks
Chris
Verizon also has sea and other countries on their range.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: