Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
lolobug
DIS Veteran

2 girls under 4... Where to stay?

Hi!
Anyone have any suggestions for 2 girls (16 months and 3) for a resort? We will be at MK and AK the majority of the trip. The little one naps (on the go!) thanks!
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

since you kids nap on the go - you can stay anywhere even offsite.

what are your taste and likes?

since MK and AK are as far apart as 2 theme parks at WDW can be - can really recommend - maybe Pop, CBR or BW - as this is the center between them.

Now love both BLT (close to MK) and AKL (close to AK) - they are as far apart as their near parks.

so would go for something in the middle.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

I would recommend a convenient location over theme. One of the resorts with a monorail would be nice (Poly, Contemporary) or ferry.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen
I would recommend a convenient location over theme. One of the resorts with a monorail would be nice (Poly, Contemporary) or ferry.
Why ferry? Is that on the monorail?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Hi!
Anyone have any suggestions for 2 girls (16 months and 3) for a resort? We will be at MK and AK the majority of the trip. The little one naps (on the go!) thanks!
If cost isn't an issue, with girls, I would recommend GF. Gorgeous resort with a new Alice in Wonderland splash area, on the monorail and even princess or Alice in Wonderland/Pooh/Mary Poppins character meals and teas. very girly in my opinion.

For convenience, CR and Poly are also on the monorail, but less "girl" themed. You can also walk to MK from CR.

AKL is a lot of fun - the animals and the theming is fantastic. If the girls like animals, this is a great choice and it's very close to AK. Great pools and fun splash area for little ones. Bus to MK and AK.

If cost is an issue and you don't want to stay deluxe, I would consider the "Royal Rooms" at POR (a moderate resort) - very regal and a lot of fun. Or at the values, an LM room at AoA - super cute! Bus to all parks as well.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Wilderness Lodge is in the MK resort area and has a ferry to MK. Not on monorail, but it's a great resort. And easy with little ones as everything is under one roof. Easy to go down an elevator to food court for a snack, drink, etc. beautiful resort. No long walks from outer buildings.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug
Hi!
Another recommendation for WL. It's a manageable resort, easy boat ride to MK and I like the pool for the younger ones. Balcony for mom and dad to enjoy, inside corridors, cool theming, close to Ft Wilderness for petting zoo and campfire with Chip and Dale and all enclosed under one roof.

View of the geyser

View from room 6039 courtyard view
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
no - the boats from WL are boats.
the ferry is the big ship that goes between TTC and Mk.

there is also boats at BW, YC. BC, D&S - that go to both Epcot and Studios
that say walking is faster.

with your 2 parks would go something in the middle.

MK resorts are great for MK - and the MK monorail resorts are also good for Epcot - monorail.

but to get to AK it is long bus ride - because they all share - CR/blt, Polyn then GF - the GF is not close to either CR or Polyn - so you can easily be on the bus 20 minutes before it leaves to go to the parks.

since you are going to have to be on the bus to get to AK - would not spend the money to stay at a more expensive resort.

now if you say your favorite parks were MK and Epcot - then yes a monorail resort is just what you want.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Thank you all! Another question (maybe silly?) all of the resorts have pools but they are outside, correct? Are they open in January or too cold to use? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all! Another question (maybe silly?) all of the resorts have pools but they are outside, correct? Are they open in January or too cold to use? Thanks!
I would find it too cold. I tried to swim once in Feb. and said never again. The pools are heated but it can be chilly once you get out.

As for location, I would stay at any of the monorail resorts, GF, CR, or Poly.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Our favorite resort is the Poly, but we have had great stays at every resort we've tried. The monorail resorts are great for going to MK as the GF is just 1 monorail stop away, while the Poly is 2 stops away, and the CR is within walking distance. The WL is also a great resort that is within close proximity to MK and if cost is an issue, is quite a bit cheaper than the monorail resorts. As far as swimming in January, the pools are heated but whether or not it will be warm enough to swim is anybody's guess. We have been twice in December with the first time (2003) being too cold to swim, but the most recent time (2010), we had a few days near 80 degrees where it was great swimming weather, so I would go prepared for either. Good luck and happy planning .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
meredith1
DIS Veteran

With two little ones that young I would absolutely stay on the monorail. You will, most likely, spend more time at MK so, I would recommend Contemporary Resort. If you do have to go back to the hotel for any reason it's a pretty quick walk back from Magic Kingdom and you won't have to wait for a monorail, bus, ect.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
the weather in dec - march is hard to predict.

some days it might in the 30's other times it can be in the 80's - been there once a few years - when it was those temperatures the same week.

so make sure you kept up with the weather before and while you are there.

if it says cold - believe me take your winter clothes as well as your summer ones.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
Another recommendation for WL. It's a manageable resort, easy boat ride to MK and I like the pool for the younger ones. Balcony for mom and dad to enjoy, inside corridors, cool theming, close to Ft Wilderness for petting zoo and campfire with Chip and Dale and all enclosed under one roof.
There is no longer a petting zoo at the Fort but you can take a pony ride at Tri Circle D ranch.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

The Art of Animation is a great place for young children. They would love all the character decorations and the pools. Here are some videos I took a fews ago when I was there
Little Mermaid Room Video Tour: http://youtu.be/H1Gnima3Abg

The Big Blue Pool Video Tour: http://youtu.be/Sov9jQCmZoA

Cars Wing and Pool Tour: http://youtu.be/bEHo_97ABwc

Hope that helps
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: