Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
packofjedis
Mouseketeer

So I've found some great places in Queensferry. That's on the top of our list right now. So should we stay there the whole week and make that our base? Or do 3 nights there, and then 3-4 nights up north somewhere?

I guess basically, is there enough to see/do down near Edinburgh area? Or would we regret not having gone north to see other things? I didn't originally want to do the switching of the locations mid-week because we'll have a car full of luggage and I don't want to feel like we're constantly driving to get to a hotel. But now I'm wondering.....

Also, I know we'll be getting at least one place that has a washer/dryer, which we will desperately need. So obviously here in America, we have separate washer and dryer, so I've never used the combo kind. Can anyone give me exactly what I need to buy to wash clothes? I don't want to be in the store looking like a complete idiot tourist (While I know that is in reality what I am, I don't want to look like it!!)

Thanks again! You guys have been so very helpful! I can't wait until I get it all narrowed down and book it so I can stop searching the internet daily. While it's fun to see what's out there, I will be happy when it's set in stone. .....now if only these plane tickets prices will come down a bit.....
packofjedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

There are easily enough things to do around the central belt fro a week but If this is your only ever trip to Scotland then I would take at least a day trip further north. Pitlochry is only an hour away from South Queensferry and Aviemore only an hour beyond Pitlochry.
Here are things to see in the central area:

Edinburgh Castle - Edinburgh
Royal Mile & Princes Street - Edinburgh
Kelvingrove Art Gallery - Glasgow
Dynamic earth - Edinburgh
Forth Bridges - You can't miss them if you stay in Queensferry!!!
Royal Yacht Britannia - Edinburgh
Deep Sea World - North Queensferry, Fife
Stirling Castle - Stirlingshire
Falkirk wheel - Falkirk
St Andrews - St Andrews
Linlithgow Palace - Linlithgow 15 mins from Queensferry
Loch Lomond - Dumbartonshire -
Edinburgh Zoo - the Pandas are there!!!
National portrait gallery - Edinburgh

So as you can see there would be plenty for you to do and this is in no way a comprehensive list. I am sure other Dissers will add to it. As I live on the East coast it is a bit one lopsided in favour of the east.

As for washing I would by Bold as it is washing powder and fabric softener combined, unless you have sensitive skin - then buy Fairy.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
packofjedis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akl-fan View Post
There are easily enough things to do around the central belt fro a week but If this is your only ever trip to Scotland then I would take at least a day trip further north. Pitlochry is only an hour away from South Queensferry and Aviemore only an hour beyond Pitlochry.
Here are things to see in the central area:

Edinburgh Castle - Edinburgh
Royal Mile & Princes Street - Edinburgh
Kelvingrove Art Gallery - Glasgow
Dynamic earth - Edinburgh
Forth Bridges - You can't miss them if you stay in Queensferry!!!
Royal Yacht Britannia - Edinburgh
Deep Sea World - North Queensferry, Fife
Stirling Castle - Stirlingshire
Falkirk wheel - Falkirk
St Andrews - St Andrews
Linlithgow Palace - Linlithgow 15 mins from Queensferry
Loch Lomond - Dumbartonshire -
Edinburgh Zoo - the Pandas are there!!!
National portrait gallery - Edinburgh

So as you can see there would be plenty for you to do and this is in no way a comprehensive list. I am sure other Dissers will add to it. As I live on the East coast it is a bit one lopsided in favour of the east.

As for washing I would by Bold as it is washing powder and fabric softener combined, unless you have sensitive skin - then buy Fairy.
What a great list! Thanks akl-fan! Printing out now to check into as time comes closer. (I was sticking with the east coast too. No idea why, but seemed like a nice to place to visit - lots in a little area.)
packofjedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #19
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

I was going to post the same question so it is really interesting to see the answers. We are looking at going to Scotland but don't have anything thought of yet. There will be 3 of us I think maybe 4. We hadn't thought of renting a car but it looks like that is what we would have to do. Do you drive on the right or left? I really want to see a castle or two but I am not sure what my husband and friend are interested in. The royal yacht is interesting was well.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #20
Balmacara
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat
I was going to post the same question so it is really interesting to see the answers. We are looking at going to Scotland but don't have anything thought of yet. There will be 3 of us I think maybe 4. We hadn't thought of renting a car but it looks like that is what we would have to do. Do you drive on the right or left? I really want to see a castle or two but I am not sure what my husband and friend are interested in. The royal yacht is interesting was well.
tigercat
We drive on the left - most cars here have manual gear change so that may be another big difference, although you will be able to hire an automatic if required.

The North East of Scotland has the only official Castle Trail with a large number of beautiful castles run by the National Trust for Scotland and well worth visiting. We have annual membership of NTS and get excellent use out of it every year given we live in this locality. The Queens holiday residence (Balmoral Castle) is also to be found here and situated in the very picturesque Royal Deeside. I have attached a link to the Castle Trail info and for NTS. The North East and Aberdeenshire is only an hour and 3/4 from Edinburgh and on the same coast.

http://www.visitscotland.com/about/h...een-city-shire

http://www.nts.org.uk/Home/
Balmacara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Wow thanks for the links. What time of year is the cheapest but still good to visit Scotland? I was thinking of Sept. I looked at the cottages and they really look good. It would be great to have 2 bedrooms and a kitchen. Where can we go though that you don't need a car or is a car needed?
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

September is a nice time to visit but don't leave it much later in the year as it can get cold and wet like it is now. I have family visiting from New Zealand and they are freezing!
Schools start again middle to late August so things get quieter and cheaper after that.
ScotsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #23
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Wow thanks so much for the helpful info on this thread, we were thinking of doing a week in the Highlands in September 2013 as we did Edinburgh for 7 nights in September 2011. We were so lucky in Edinburgh, we had beautiful t-shirt weather for the whole week!! We had gone prepared with our waterproofs

There was enough to occupy us for 7 nights in Edinburgh. We hired a apartment just off the Royal Mile, thinking that we would probably have a lazy day reading, watching TV etc and then popping out for a nice meal on the evening. We were so wrong, we never stopped because there was so much we wanted to do!

Again, thanks so much for the tips and ideas you have given to the OP as we weren't sure on where to start in the Highlands and I'm really leaning towards Aviemore now.

For the OP as well, I have added my Flickr link to our Edinburgh set, we did most of the things that PP's have mentioned such as the Royal Yacht Britannia, Edinburgh Castle etc etc. Thought it might give you a pictorial idea on what you may like to do and not to do and convince the family members with you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcol...7627799801225/

Happy New Year everyone!
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Fabulous photos! Happy Hogmanay and happy travels in 2013!
ScotsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #25
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie
Fabulous photos! Happy Hogmanay and happy travels in 2013!
Thanks very much, same to you
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: