Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1876
scoutie
DIS Veteran

andrewilley Thank you!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1877
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

Nope, no lotion. We were just there 12/9-12/16.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #1878
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

Walked back there tonight and the numbers on your picture do match up. Your AWSOME for doing this, will help with room request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I think my basic layout is correct, but of course you're there and I'm not. I've been cross-referencing several sources including my own photos, the resort handout maps, and satellite images (plus a PDF document I received a while back, but which sadly seems somewhat inaccurate in a number of places).

Here's a satellite view of the building, which does seem to match with what I had worked out, and my revised plan based on your message:

As you can see, all of your supplied numbers fit in perfectly with the standard "counter-clockwise" numbering system of Alligator Bayou, with the one exception of the room we called 'C', which I think should be 2832 not 2831. Does that now fit with what you see on the ground?

Thanks again for the help, and sorry if you got wet in the process! (No prizes for guessing what my Xmas break project has been by the way )

Andre

24 trips and plannin' the next 1
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #1879
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hello!

Wow, I read the whole thread. You guys kept making it longer while I was reading, though!

I recently picked POR as a place for a very short stay because it matched a price level I wanted to meet (free nights through hotels.com), and now I'm seriously wishing we had more time. We have it booked Feb 5-7. We are coming in just after midnight on the 6th, taking ME over, and at some point in the morning on the 7th, going off to Port Canaveral. So we have ONE day, basically, to explore!

We had originally thought we'd go over to Epcot for food and snacks (we love the treats at Kringla), but now we're switching the treats out for beignets, and I'm insisting we just explore. This place looks cool!

We had visited POFQ for food (beignets, LOL), but for some reason I really hadn't looked at Riverside before. But the pictures on Andre's site are amazing! And the info provided is really good. And now it makes me understand that this is still New Orleans, just not the French Quarter. And hey, I love the Garden District of NO, so it works!

ETA, I read just a bit more about the story behind the place, and I see that it's not necessarily based on that area, but I still see it like that!

Since I did read through the whole thread over the last few days, I had thoughts about what others had to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isk8 View Post
Coming from earthquake country, we never put anything above our beds, so seeing a TV (of all things) over a sleeping area makes me nervous.
I can totally understand where you're coming from! This whole big skinny TV thing just freaks my Californian soul out. How do they stand up? And how can you ever trust your wall and studs and the metal of the screws and the brackets *enough*? It's not like WA is immune to earthquakes either, so I'm right there with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
In my signature area, bottom right, there is a link to a basic fax layout. Then use the number posted above this post to send it. If you want more reassurance PM me and Ill tell you something that can help.
Wow, that's really cool, what you do for people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Your call went to a Central Call Center, which diverts calls to the appropriate place - you never speak to the front desk.
I think that this info is the first info anyone should be told about any WDW resort. I think we should bring stickers that say "out of state call center" and put them on the "Front Desk" buttons. (just place them there, no defacing or sticking, LOL) OK I don't really think we should do that, but I do wish they were more honest.

Especially when it's a need where time is of the essence, I think they should tell callers that it might take less time if they just physically go to the front desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
So, I called the front desk and spoke with the manager on duty.
That is just awful, what happened to you! What a terrible Housekeeper!

But, just like with all WDW resorts, *calling* the front desk doesn't get you the front desk. The way they do that puts delays, and space for miscommunication and misunderstanding, and the definite possibility that the *urgency* of the matter will get lost. If they had told you that, or told you to call Housekeeping (I think I'm remembering that the resorts have a button that gets you there directly), things could have been taken care of much more directly, and they might have actually made a difference.

Quote:
No, that's not really why it works at all (although I'm sure the tips here help). It's mostly because the room assignment manager at POR is very conscious that these seemingly little things can really make a guest's visit so much more magical, and he tries to help out wherever possible. In fact he told me he enjoys reading guest faxes and adding that bit of extra magic to people's stays.

I know he and his team actually go to a lot of effort - even without people sending in faxes - and they run daily reports on the computer to try to catch linked bookings, check for recurring surnames, look for requests, and even pick up sequential bookings (such as one night before and then a block during free dining, for example) to try to keep guests in the same room, etc.

But I agree that not all resorts are always quite so good at this.

Andre
Wow.

I had been thinking that we would leave it up to fate, but given that we are coming in SO late we have to make sure they know we are, indeed, going to be there... And I was looking at the jogging path, where one of the runs could start (and end) right at the end of the Parterre building. (oh, we have a Royal Riverview room booked...important info here, LOL), so maybe that would be a good spot to request.

I'll have to think about it more! It sounds like the staff LIKES doing that for the guests...I'd hate to deprive them of their fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileybeth View Post
First time ever we are taking 2 days down and two days back, health sorta demands it but what a fun thing for us. We usually get in the car and go until we arrive in Orlando around noon the next day after 16 hours on the road. Guess we are getting old for sure.
FWIW, I was "over" the drive-straight-through thing by the time I was 25, single with no kids! And that wasn't even with Disney at the end, but just driving from WA to the Bay Area. You went a lot longer than I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
I mentioned that the 3 younger kiddos (see sig) will get a little button since it is their 1st visit. The older 2 are feeling left out of the magic of that . They have been before but they were both so young that they don't really remember anything - unless we show them the pics as proof LOL

Yes, they are older but at 9 & 11: they are still just kids.

What does the DIS say??
There is absolutely no problem or issue or anything with the idea of the older kids getting First Visit buttons on this trip, too. They are different people than they were back then (I assume at least 6 years ago?), they didn't get the buttons back then, their lives and family have changed, and their minds do not remember the trip! IN effect, it IS their first trip.

And as long as you don't mind repeating that in a few years when you go on your *next* trip with the littles (since they might not remember this one...though the 6 year old probably will), I see no problem with getting them First Visit buttons as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post

ETA: i just don't want them to feel left out. Is this a "suck it up buttercup" situation??
Not at all. There are so many other places in life where they will have the dubious pleasure of sucking it up. No need to make THIS one of them.

This is a Disneyland story, but the concept of the buttons is the same on both coasts...we were in line for Peter Pan for the first time as adults and as a family. We had been to Disneyland twice before as adults and with our son, but hadn't ridden Peter Pan (that line gets long!). The CM noticed our excitement and asked if it was our first time; we said it was our first time on the ride, and he gave us First Visit buttons. We tried to give them back, but he said that it was OK!

The CMs are fine with it. There's no need for anyone to explain anything when CMs comment on it being the "first" visit...in a LARGE way, it IS. With time and three more kids (I'm so jealous), everything in your universe has changed, and it WILL be a brand new experience, almost as though it's your first time there.

Or if the older kids just want excitement, I *think* they are still giving "I'm Celebrating" buttons, and you can bring a Sharpie and write "bringing my siblings" or something like that.

Quote:
Could you also mention that it's still bringing up the old site for me? I'm UK based, but I still see old site even when I bypass their STUPID automatic divert to the UK site. (If I'd wanted to see the British site, I would have typed ".co.uk" not ".com" in the first place ... grrr!!! Or at the very least offer the divert as an option, which is what the serious online companies like Amazon do, and then allow that choice to be sticky via cookies)

On the other hand I guess it is quite reassuring to still be able to read about what fun I'm going to have when I check in at the Colonel's Cotton Mill building... (and after ten years I do wish that was now just a joke, but it really does still say that).

Andre
Wow! It still has old info (I assume that's from Dixie Landings?) there?

Ha...I tried to go to disneyworld.co.uk, and it let me, which was fun. But now it won't let me go back to .com! Seems to work both ways. Although that seems to show that it IS cookie-based, but I didn't want to clear cookies and lose all of the multi-quotes I'd made over the last few days, so I don't know. I hope I can get back to .com some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
I've since read through this entire thread and am thrilled we are staying at POR. I don't think I could've picked a better place if I'd tried!

...(DH found another position mid-March that he loves and with a raise - what a difference a year makes!).

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the wealth of information!
Congrats on DH getting the new job and more money! Whew!

And I agree with the first and last things I quoted from you there. I had my own *other* reasons for booking POR, and now part of me is already planning a return trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
i have another question! i find that they keep popping up now that disney is only 34 days away!! so i know now that i can charge restaurant tips to my room, but at the end of the trip, can i pay off my room charges with cash? i don't know if that is a stupid question or not, but i think it would be best to just pay it in cash instead of charge it and then have to pay the bill a month later! thanks
It's fine, as far as I know. But you need to go the night *before* checkout to do this, or they will just charge the CC you put down in order to create your room charge account (trust me on this...even 6am is too late). If you just don't want to carry cash around, another idea would be to buy a Disney Gift Card with the cash, and use that. It is totally OK to use giftcards for tips.

I'm so excited about our stay, and excited that I read the whole thread!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-31-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #1880
Sunshine1987
Mouseketeer

After over 6 months of plans and revisions, and after reading hundreds of DIS threads, I just booked our 20th Anniversary trip today at POR for 10/21-10/27!

We will also be celebrating my birthday while on this trip!

We are planning to spend a lot of time at the F&WF and to take in MNSSHP. I just can’t wait to see Disneyworld all decorated for Fall !!! All four of our previous trips have been in the spring so this will be very different for us!!!

Initially we were going to stay at the Wilderness Lodge because we have this idea that we should stay somewhere new on every trip AND it has always been my DH’s favorite resort to visit for dining/sightseeing. However, we decided that because we both loved POR when we stayed here briefly in 2010, we would stay here instead again for many reasons (those reasons include saving $1000, proximity of POR to Epcot, the new themed rooms, and we know it is a nice resort from our previous trip). I booked the Royal Suite (Garden View) room, so it will be “kind of” like staying somewhere different for us anyway. Last time we were in Alligator Bayou Bldg 17 with a parking lot view and never even made it over to the mansions! Despite our lack of view, we liked the room a lot and LOVED the resort overall. And the fact is, I LOVE Disney princesses, especially Tiana, Rapunzel, and Jasmine so the theme of the Royal Rooms really appeals to me! My DH loves Aladdin and enjoyed The Princess and the Frog movie, so I think he will enjoy the rooms as well!

Reading these threads took forever but I am so grateful to Andre, Venom, and others for all the information. I am going to continue to visit them often! By the time our Disney trip arrives 9 months from now, I know I will be very well informed about the POR!!!

For those of you going soon, "Have a wonderful trip!"
Disney World- ~ASMovies in April 2004 ~Beach Club in May 2009 ~POR/Poly split stay in May 2010 ~Fort Wilderness in March 2011
Disneyland, CA - 1969-1993 (so many trips - I grew up 11 miles from DL), 1995, 1997, 2001, 2008 (off-site)
California Adventure - 2008 (off-site)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #1881
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Hello!

Wow, I read the whole thread. You guys kept making it longer while I was reading, though!

Wow, that's really cool, what you do for people!
Yeah that is a lot of reading. Thank goodness you didn't come in at the 245 page mark.

I just like to see people get the most they can from there visit.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #1882
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Standard Royal Guest Rooms tend to be some of the furthest away from the main building and main bus stop (although you might be closer for the East bus stop, but even that is not necessarily true).

I would suggest you contact WDW's Special Assistance line on 1-407-939-7807 and discuss your needs and ask them to arrange the most suitable room for you. You might even end up getting a category upgrade to improve the location of your room, you never know.

Andre

Thank you very much Andre, I will definatly be doing that ASAP.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #1883
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MC View Post
Drat! No lotion?
What sort of lotion would you like?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #1884
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

How much more of a walk is it Royal room standard view vs a non royal room river view. I'm having a last minute freak out that I really made the wrong decision choosing a Royal room with a standard view and thinking I should have done regular river view.

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #1885
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife25 View Post
How much more of a walk is it Royal room standard view vs a non royal room river view. I'm having a last minute freak out that I really made the wrong decision choosing a Royal room with a standard view and thinking I should have done regular river view.
Feeling the same way, here, and would like to know too! When I called to apply the Visa discount, I decided to upgrade, but the CM said only standard was available for the discount. Really want Oak Manor, close to the bridge - gotta have my Diet Coke! I really don't think the view matters, and it can't really take that much longer to walk from a standard to the bridge than a river? We are all able-bodied, so that is not the issue. I just see myself going to the food court a lot to get my soda!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #1886
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Feeling the same way, here, and would like to know too! When I called to apply the Visa discount, I decided to upgrade, but the CM said only standard was available for the discount. Really want Oak Manor, close to the bridge - gotta have my Diet Coke! I really don't think the view matters, and it can't really take that much longer to walk from a standard to the bridge than a river? We are all able-bodied, so that is not the issue. I just see myself going to the food court a lot to get my soda!
Same here! And the word "royal" got to me I guess. I'm not sure how much longer it can take. I'm having trouble imagining. Based on the map, it definitely is the furthest away. I haven't stayed at a moderate before. I was thinking of trying to switch, but there is nothing the first night we are there :/ The rest of the time there is a lot open, but I don't know if I would be charged more because of not having the discount.

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #1887
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife25 View Post
How much more of a walk is it Royal room standard view vs a non royal room river view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Feeling the same way, here, and would like to know too! !
It depends on where your room is located within the buildings. You could get a river view RGR right at the extreme end of Parterre Place which is a bit of a trek, or a standard non-Royal room near the middle of Magnolia or Acadian which could be much shorter walks. Take a look at the map in the first post, or use Google Earth's ruler feature if you want to work out the options - but the very furthest rooms in the resort are no more than 500 yards from the food court door.

Just put in a request for as close to the food court as possible, rather than trying to out-think the room assignment teams with specific locations.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #1888
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

How do you pronounce "Parterre"?

And regarding the arcade at POR, is it one of the arcades where the games give tickets that you can redeem for little "prizes"?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #1889
eeyore29
DIS Veteran Wanna-Be

Location: Mount Wannahockaloogie (a small mountain town near Allentown, PA)

Quote:
It depends on where your room is located within the buildings. You could get a river view RGR right at the extreme end of Parterre Place which is a bit of a trek, or a standard non-Royal room near the middle of Magnolia or Acadian which could be much shorter walks. Take a look at the map in the first post, or use Google Earth's ruler feature if you want to work out the options - but the very furthest rooms in the resort are no more than 500 yards from the food court door.

Just put in a request for as close to the food court as possible, rather than trying to out-think the room assignment teams with specific locations.

Andre
In the past we've done preferred rooms at the All Stars so we've had pretty short walks for buses, food, and soda refills. Would you be able to compare the distance/walk for a POR royal standard room? As much as I'd love to give them a try, but not if it's 3-4x further away.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #1890
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
How do you pronounce "Parterre"?

And regarding the arcade at POR, is it one of the arcades where the games give tickets that you can redeem for little "prizes"?
I've always pronounced Parterre just as it's written, as in the French - i.e. "par-tear" ("par" as in golf par, and "tear" as in "to rip", not as in to cry ). Not sure what other ways there are to say it to be honest?

The arcades are mostly games machines, rather than prize-win gambling machines:

To be honest, the only time I have ever stepped in there was to take photos, as I can think of a lot better things to do in Disney World than play video games - but some kids seem to love them.

Andre

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: