Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny2004 View Post
Is there a cost to use the tram? If so, how much? Does it run continuously? We will be there in 5 weeks!
There is not a cost to use the tram and it runs up and down the pier continuously. It waits a few minutes at each end to fill up, but not too long. There are tip boxes all along the sides, but I really didn't see anyone using them. I think this is a service provided by the port.
queenofeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
jennandcompany
Mouseketeer

Stay on the ship and enjoy the ships amenities. We did and at dinner we heard nothing but praise from the tired hot travelers who adventured off the ship at CM.
jennandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennandcompany View Post
Stay on the ship and enjoy the ships amenities. We did and at dinner we heard nothing but praise from the tired hot travelers who adventured off the ship at CM.
We used to think the same way ( the cruise terminal is crap) until we visited the Tropicante a $2 cab ride away to a lovely Mexican town with a great beach and nice locals. Venture out and you will have a great time in Costa Maya

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
We used to think the same way ( the cruise terminal is crap) until we visited the Tropicante a $2 cab ride away to a lovely Mexican town with a great beach and nice locals. Venture out and you will have a great time in Costa Maya
Completely agree!!!

We were just at Tropicante last week. It was our favorite port day(crappy weather in Cozomel and GC) we lounged in or lounge chairs on the beach being waited on. Had great food, delicious and cheap frozen margaritas, massages, and my son played on the very calm water!! It was such a fun day...just thinking about it has me longing to go back to Tropicante!!
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Belle6000
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Magic on Saturday. We did the Tropicante in Costa Maya...I definately recommend it! Email Steve ahead of time and he will get you all set up. I felt very safe going outside the mall area. The mall area is nice looking but it's really just full of expensive shops. They wanted $2 for one postcard there!!

Here's the link to the Tropicante: http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

I just posted pics of Costa Maya on my blog today if you want to check them out: http://aimeesland.blogspot.com/2012/10/costa-maya.html

DL:Sept 2011 Paradise Pier
Disney Magic 7 nt: Sept 2012
Belle6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
riofriotex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
My DH and I did the adults only tour to Chacchoben on the 9/22/12 Magic sailing and REALLY enjoyed it! What was nice about this one was that the Magic was the only ship in port that day, so there were only 4 buses of people from Disney @ Chacchoben, so it wasn't overly crowded at all. Something to consider when trying to decide which ruins to visit on a cruise. Check the port schedule and see how many ships will be in port so you can guesstimate how crowded any ruins might be.
We (2 adults) currently have this same excursion booked for January 9. There will be one other ship in port besides the Magic, but they arrive earlier, so I am hoping by the time we get in at 11:30, most of them will be gone from the ruins. I'm curious - how many people were on your excursion? Did you go on a big bus or in a smaller vehicle? I'm not too crazy about buses and big groups, and am also considering booking this with Native Choice (and saving some bucks!).
riofriotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

We did this excursion on the November 10th sailing and loved it. It was a big bus, but it did not feel like a big group and we had two tour guides at the ruins. I would not hesitate to do this again.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
ps17
DIS Veteran

We just got off the Fantasy on Sat and have some tips:

We were deciding between staying onboard or going to a beach. We ended up going into town but here is the drag: First of all, we had to wait for cab which is essentially a $2PP shuttle. YOu don't just walk out and hail a cab. The aggravating part was having to wait for the shuttle to arrive and also once it got there for it to load etc. In our opinion, vacation time is money and waiting is a pain.

If you are going to go to a beach, go to one of those all-inclusive type places. Town beach wasn't all that great (we are snobs for clean uncrowded beaches). We had to wait to get menus, order. The beach was crowded. NOt a lot of clean facilities and bathrooms etc. to use. The beach area was just not as inviting.

If you want to do an all-inclusive beach, do that in Cozumel where there are nice places such as Nachi or Mr. Sanchos. In retrospect, we wish we would have stayed onboard.

Of course, this is just opinion and you will find those that probably enjoyed their shore time more. The other part is that with the abridged port times, it also makes it difficult.
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
I wasn't planning to get off and my dad wanted to go. Somehow we ended up at this place called "...de Sol." Don't remember what it was called. But they set us up for a beach day, drinks, really great day. I think for my dad and I it was something like $50 for taxi, drinks, Dad went snorkeling, and a great day at the beach. The pictures from that day really looked "perfect vacation" esque. I did like the little mall though.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by riofriotex

We (2 adults) currently have this same excursion booked for January 9. There will be one other ship in port besides the Magic, but they arrive earlier, so I am hoping by the time we get in at 11:30, most of them will be gone from the ruins. I'm curious - how many people were on your excursion? Did you go on a big bus or in a smaller vehicle? I'm not too crazy about buses and big groups, and am also considering booking this with Native Choice (and saving some bucks!).
How did you find out that there will be another ship in port? Very helpful in planning!!

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWChloe

How did you find out that there will be another ship in port? Very helpful in planning!!
This made me curious as well, here's what I found:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/crui...ya-mexico.html
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
riofriotex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWChloe View Post
Native Choice also had a calendar on its web site. After reading tons of reviews and e-mailing Ivan, I decided to go with them. Their vans take 12 passengers max and they said they would put us in an adult-only group.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
AladdinsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Stay on the ship!
AladdinsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
riofriotex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AladdinsPrincess View Post
Stay on the ship!
Did you have a bad experience with Native Choice?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #30
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by riofriotex

Did you have a bad experience with Native Choice?
I'm willing to bet he was just making an editorial comment on Costa Maya, not anything against Native Choice.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, costa maya, fantasy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: