Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Fantasy vs Magic

We are going to take our first Disney Cruise in OCt 2013. First cruise ever for the kids, first time with Disney for myself. Originally, we were set on the Fantasy. Well, myself and DS 9, the other two kids could care less at this point, and DBF isn't coming.
On Christmas morning, I woke up paranoid that I would not be able to book us onto the Fantasy sailing that we have chosen (Western Oct 12). So I started looking at back up options. I saw the Dream 4 nights, which is just a day later, but I prefer at least 5 nights. The Magic leaves for 5 nights Oct 20, so just a week different.
Here is where I am stuck. I really like the ports, for the Western, for the most part, but I like that the Magic does a DD to CC. I am nervous that the kids will not enjoy the Magic as much, being that they have seen so many youtube videos for it. I am also afraid that if we do stick with the Fantasy, that one day when we do the Magic/Wonder, they will not like it as much.
I also know that sailing 5 nights on the Magic will be much friendlier to my pockets than 7 nights on the Fantasy, and not just considering cruise fare here, but excursions, hotel stays (as we would stay longer in Orlando to hit up Legoland & WWoHP), where in Miami we would just fly straight home once back in port.

I should also add, we were first planning WDW for our trip next year, none of us have been. But, all the advertisements for the Fantasy is what changed my mind. I was sold on either the Fantasy, or Aulani.

Thoughts??

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13

Last edited by dizneekrazee; 12-29-2012 at 06:04 PM.
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'm not sure where you are going with this but i'd always say that 7-nights is better than 5-nights. The shorter cruises are cheaper of course. If budget is the constraint then by all means go for the shorter cruise.

I don't see an issue getting a reservation for October 2013 on any of the ships.
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Annette_C
Mouseketeer

We did our first Disney cruise on the Fantasy in July and loved it! DD10 was in her glory! lol We have not been on the Magic (planning a Med. cruise soon on it, though) so I can't really give you comparison advice. All I can say is that the Fantasy is new, it's big and it has more to offer (Aquaduck) than the Magic.
If money is not a major problem, I'd go with the Fantasy.

DVC Member since 2005
First Disney Cruise: Fantasy, July 7, 2012! :cheer2:
Annette_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I gave my kids the choice of MAgic 8 night or Fantasy 7 night western. They choose Magic 8 night with 4 sea days.

Your kids will have a great time no matter which ship you choose.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I'm not sure where you are going with this but i'd always say that 7-nights is better than 5-nights. The shorter cruises are cheaper of course. If budget is the constraint then by all means go for the shorter cruise.

I don't see an issue getting a reservation for October 2013 on any of the ships.
My issue getting the reservation is bc I have to wait until July 2013 at the EARLIEST to book, bc I get the Cast Member rate. Not all cruises are offered to us. However, my original choice was there for this year, so that is how I came up with the date for next year.

Bc I get the CM rate, money would not be an issue. The nightly rate won't be too much different, just 2 additional nights. The big difference in money would be pre/post cruise and the # of excusions we would choose to do on the Western.

So, where I am going with this, is just the difference in the ships. If we do the newer, bigger ship, do kids ever not like the older, smaller ships? The best way I can try to describe this to them would be DLR & WDW. One is smaller, older, the original, while the other is newer, bigger, etc.
And, unless I am missing something, it looks like the 5 night Bahamian cruise on Oct 20 is the first sailing for the Magic when it returns to the US. Will that make it sell more? Make it a more desireable cruise? I did not realize it was the first sailing upin return until just now.

Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Would your son like the Aquaduct or an extra day at Castaway Cay? How do you feel about a mega-ship? The Fantasy is gorgeous but huge. A lot of people prefer the smaller Magic because you don't feel like you need to "pack a lunch" to hike from one end to the other.

The Dream and Fantasy have state-of-the-art electronics, while the Magic and Wonder are the "original" and classics, and have a homey atmosphere. Any Disney cruise has the Mouse.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
My issue getting the reservation is bc I have to wait until July 2013 at the EARLIEST to book, bc I get the Cast Member rate. Not all cruises are offered to us. However, my original choice was there for this year, so that is how I came up with the date for next year.

Bc I get the CM rate, money would not be an issue. The nightly rate won't be too much different, just 2 additional nights. The big difference in money would be pre/post cruise and the # of excusions we would choose to do on the Western.

So, where I am going with this, is just the difference in the ships. If we do the newer, bigger ship, do kids ever not like the older, smaller ships? The best way I can try to describe this to them would be DLR & WDW. One is smaller, older, the original, while the other is newer, bigger, etc.
And, unless I am missing something, it looks like the 5 night Bahamian cruise on Oct 20 is the first sailing for the Magic when it returns to the US. Will that make it sell more? Make it a more desireable cruise? I did not realize it was the first sailing upin return until just now.
We are going on the Magic 5 night cruise Oct 20. An added bonus to this cruise other than the double dip is that the ship will have been refurbished. So it might not feel as old.

Also the Magic will be leaving from Miami instead of Port Canaveral. Not sure how quickly it will book, but I was just being curious and there were only 3 one bedroom suites left for the cruise
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Would your son like the Aquaduct or an extra day at Castaway Cay? How do you feel about a mega-ship? The Fantasy is gorgeous but huge. A lot of people prefer the smaller Magic because you don't feel like you need to "pack a lunch" to hike from one end to the other.

The Dream and Fantasy have state-of-the-art electronics, while the Magic and Wonder are the "original" and classics, and have a homey atmosphere. Any Disney cruise has the Mouse.
Depends on which son. My DS 13, I think would prefer the Magic, no question. He doesn't like crowds, isn't very social, etc. DS 7, I doubt he would have an opinion, as long as there is a jacuzzi. DS 9 is loving the videos of the Aqua Duck. I know they would like either of them, I just don't want to disappoint them & have them feel like they are going to settle for something less than we discussed.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Could you possibly book a dummy reservation then transfer it to a CM rate later? You would have to put down the 20% deposit on the dummy, but then that would transfer to the new reservation.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
Could you possibly book a dummy reservation then transfer it to a CM rate later? You would have to put down the 20% deposit on the dummy, but then that would transfer to the new reservation.
I will call and ask, but I think it would be pointless. We have to pay in full at time of reservation, which, depending on the cruise, can be as late as 30 days in advance. I would be way past the penalty for canceling at that point, and past the PIF date of the regular price.
For example, right now, there is nothing available to us on the Fantasy, there is one Dream cruise being offered for mid January. The Magic has a few being offered, including the TA in May, which is obviously more than 30 days out. The Wonder has several being offered.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
Looks as if I was wrong, I can book with the 20% deposit and then transfer to a new reservation!!

I also called to verify availablity, both have plenty. I will make my decision and book within the next few weeks.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
heastonfam
Earning My Ears

This is such good info, we are taking our first cruise in Feb and are on the Magic. At first I was worried that we should have done one of the other boats but after reading this I think the Magic will be perfect for our first cruise and not too overwhelming.
heastonfam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: