Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

We were actually shocked how little time we spent on our balcony, even on 12.
Things to do and see. Gotta go ...
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

OP, despite what everyone else says, we prefer starboard side as well. I would be a tiny bit disappointed on port as well, but it certainly is not a deal-breaker.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
bbwex
Earning My Ears

When you make your reservation....

When you make your original reservation, specify what cabin or cabins you are willing to accept. I do that all the time. You could have said, you want a category x, and you want it on the ___ side of the ship, or you could say you want any one of the following cabins, and then give a list of acceptable numbers. Then if none of those is available, you decide what you want to do.

Previous cruises:
U.S.S. HANCOCK (CVA-19) 1969-71, two WestPac cruises -- oops those weren't pleasure cruises
Carnival Fantasy '90 or '91 - 3 day cruise
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendor August, 2009
Disney WONDER - 3-Day Bahamas - December, 2009
HAL STATENDAM -- Alaska -- June, 2010
Ocean Adventures M.V. ECLIPSE - Galapagos Islands -- June, 2012
Oceania RIVIERA -- Italy -- October, 2012
Disney DREAM - 4 Day Bahamas - January, 2013
bbwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
disnygirl55
Meeska Mooseka Mouseketeer

Each side has its own charms. I guess if I had a choice, I would choose starboard - but only because I liked the view of CC and being able to partially watch the firewords from the pirate party. Our first cruise, we were on Wonder 8532 (best stateroom EVER!!) - love the midship on the classics. In 2011, we were in 12012 on the Dream. Only reason why... DS was 9 years old, and we wanted him to have a little more freedom to come and go as he pleased from the Lab - but we wanted a room number we were confident he could remember - thus "twelve oh twelve". It was a great cruise regardless, and glad we saw the "other" side at Castaway, even once. It was neat to get the wave of the Mickey hands as we cast off. At Nassau, we were parked next to a Carnival liner, and it was fun to people watch - I had a strong feeling that they were sooooo jealous - kind of sad watching the families with young children getting on that Carnival ship - it looked so pitiful next to the beautiful Dream. The kids were looking longingly at the Disney ship while their parents pulled them by the hands onto the Carnival ship. Next cruise in June, I did the opposite room, back on starboard side - 12512. You'lll have a fabulous experience no matter which side you're on. Have fun!!!

disnygirl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser76 View Post
At CC Starboard side, at Nassau it depends on what ship is next to you if you have one! Other port's also depend on what berth is assigned and the ships direction is subject the prevailing winds as well.

I wouldn't worry too much and enjoy the view you get!
thank you.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=disnygirl55;47024247] ...... In 2011, we were in 12012 on the Dream. Only reason why... DS was 9 years old, and ...... we wanted a room number we were confident he could remember - thus "twelve oh twelve". QUOTE]

I have to admit, this is a reason to book deck 12 I have not heard before.
I can only remember 12502, may I sail with you guys?
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner

Wooohooooo, I am in 12508 on the Dream in May, glad to hear you loved it. We were assigned portside cabins on the Fantasy in August (got connecting 4As with VGT so I can't complain) and the only thing my husband said he didn't like about our rooms was that he always felt like he wanted to see everything from the otherside of the ship- he said he felt like we were left out so I understand. I was so happy to get 4As but I remember thinking it was almost perfect- just wished we had the same rooms on the starboard side. I made it a point to be Starboard on the next cruise.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

The only wrong side for us would be "off" the ship instead of "on" the ship. We would definitely be on the wrong side then.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
The only wrong side for us would be "off" the ship instead of "on" the ship. We would definitely be on the wrong side then.

We each have things that are worth being concerned about and things that are not. For me, port or starboard is not a big deal.....on or off the ship--yeah, that's a big deal!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post

true.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwex View Post
When you make your original reservation, specify what cabin or cabins you are willing to accept. I do that all the time. You could have said, you want a category x, and you want it on the ___ side of the ship, or you could say you want any one of the following cabins, and then give a list of acceptable numbers. Then if none of those is available, you decide what you want to do.
The OP said "I got the last cat V on the 12th deck". If it's the last one, there is no choice.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

For everyone's info:
Having been on seven DCLs, 3 back ins and 4 pull ins at CC.
From discussions with CMs, these are some of the reasons that are used to determine which it is:
Sea conditions/Winds
Maintenance issues
Which lifeboats require testing
Captain's choice

Anyone one of these factors can influence the Captian's choice as to how the ship is positioned on CC.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Well now you've got me thinking....we were on the starboard side last cruise and I loved seeing the fireworks from our verandah (yes, I know..not supposed to do that). I love fireworks but my son has sensory issues and doesn't like them and throws a mini fit if we have to watch them up close. Without the verandah I would have missed them. Next cruise I have a port side cabin. Now I am wondering if I should switch? I was REALLY trying to let it go and not care about whether I saw the fireworks or not. Hummmm....
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitlerzx4 View Post
Wait .. what is better port or starboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
Yes.
LOL. agreed!!
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread