Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
kristen821
DIS Veteran
Everything taste better with ranch dressing!

how strict is cc on boat rentals?

My dd is 4.5 years old. I was planning on renting one of the boats to take the kids on, but saw a picture of the sign saying that min. age is 5. Is DCL strict on this or will they let the few months slide?
kristen821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

DCL is extremely strict when it comes to age requirements for excursions. It is due to insurance coverage. Perhaps your DD can enjoy Scuttles Cove while you take DS out for a little one on one time?

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads

Last edited by lbgraves; 11-23-2006 at 07:04 PM.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
professorandmom
I was on the beach without going into the water with the creatures

I do think it depends on the weather....we were on a double dip in July. During the first stop it was a very calm day, saw many people renting boats....during the second stop, still beautiful weather but very breezy and choppy....they were VERY picky about who could rent and there weren't that many out on boats
Barb
professorandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
kristen821
DIS Veteran
Everything taste better with ranch dressing!

O.K. Thank you. I guess we'll either make it a father/son trip or Brittany will have to go to the kids club for a little bit.
kristen821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
professorandmom
I was on the beach without going into the water with the creatures

I wouldn't give up - just see what they say at the beach when you are ready to rent....don't say anything to your daughter and she won't know if they say no
Renting boats is a whole lot different than an excursion, IMHO...it is nothing you have to plan ahead for - just walk up and ask!!!
Barb
professorandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Elangen
Mouseketeer

Bumping this just to see if anyone has any more recent experiences. We are struggling with excursions and activities that our 4.5 year old can do also. DH really wants to take him out on a Hobie cat. Wondering if anyone has been able to, despite the 5 years and up requirement? (DH has sailing experience, that wont be the issue).
Elangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elangen View Post
Bumping this just to see if anyone has any more recent experiences. We are struggling with excursions and activities that our 4.5 year old can do also. DH really wants to take him out on a Hobie cat. Wondering if anyone has been able to, despite the 5 years and up requirement? (DH has sailing experience, that wont be the issue).
As noted earlier, DCL is quite serious about ages limits on any excursions. It's totally a liability thing. And they will know your childs age. The system won't let you book anyone not the correct age on any excursion.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
KEichman
Mouseketeer

Do you actually book the boat rental like a typical excursion...with the names of any and all who might use it during the rental period?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Elangen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
As noted earlier, DCL is quite serious about ages limits on any excursions. It's totally a liability thing. And they will know your childs age. The system won't let you book anyone not the correct age on any excursion.

Yeah, I get it. Im not trying to skirt the rules, just trying to figure out if it is a guideline, or an enforced limit. Just curious and trying to get a feel for what others have experienced.

Renting a boat is not the same as a full fledged excursion. You do not preregister, you just walk up and say charge my account. First come first serve, depending on conditions, etc. There is a small area between the dock and the family beach that you stay in with them. The alloted time is a 1/2 hour, but if it is not crowded they sometimes extend that. My husband rented a Hobie before, when our oldest was 5 1/2 but doesnt remember them even asking about age. He also doesnt really remember them questioning his sailing experience, though that is "required" too.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
Elangen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elangen View Post
Yeah, I get it. Im not trying to skirt the rules, just trying to figure out if it is a guideline, or an enforced limit. Just curious and trying to get a feel for what others have experienced.

Renting a boat is not the same as a full fledged excursion. You do not preregister, you just walk up and say charge my account. First come first serve, depending on conditions, etc. There is a small area between the dock and the family beach that you stay in with them. The alloted time is a 1/2 hour, but if it is not crowded they sometimes extend that. My husband rented a Hobie before, when our oldest was 5 1/2 but doesnt remember them even asking about age. He also doesnt really remember them questioning his sailing experience, though that is "required" too.
FYI, just to follow up, we walked up and the guy taking the KTTW card asked how old my youngest was. I forgot about the minimum and answered he is 4, going on 5. He said "I think I heard you say 5. Tell the guys down there he is 5".

Not trying to get anyone in trouble at all, but just wanted to pass on our experience!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: