Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

If you get an indoor antena dont waste money on a expensive one. You will get the same with the cheapest as the fancy ones. We put an antena on the tv in the breakroom at work and we went thru every antena we sold and got the same 3 channels with all of them. It just really depends on where you live.

I may eventually put up an outside antena if I really want Dr Phil and the court shows. The guy at Radio Shack said it would be like $400 but I would get a lot more channels. If I do that I may have to break out my old VCR to record Dr Phil everyday.
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Hulu and Netflix cannot replace regular TV for me for two specific reasons: Sports and Doctor Who.
Doctor Who is on Netflix.

Hubby and I haven't had cable since we moved in together in May 2010. We originally had both Netflix and Hulu, but I cancelled Hulu. If something I want isn't on Netflix, I see if the library has it or find less traditional means *ahem*.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom View Post
Doctor Who is on Netflix.

Doctor Who up through series 6 is on Netflix. The only way to watch the Christmas Special on Christmas was on actual TV.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Doctor Who up through series 6 is on Netflix. The only way to watch the Christmas Special on Christmas was on actual TV.
Do you have iTunes? We bought a season pass there.

We dumped cable a few months ago and haven't looked back. We have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime and iTunes. About the only thing I can't watch is Guilana and Bill but that's because I haven't bothered to buy it on iTunes yet.
The kids are more selective about what they watch now instead of having the TV on for background noise. And they have discovered new shows to watch.

The reason we made the jump is because we were able to save $145 a month on the cable bill. And we never watched "live tv". We TIVO'ed and DVR'ed everything.
What I did was I made a list of everything we watched and what network it was on. Then we went to Hulu.com and got the free trial for Netflix and charted what was on which site. I'd say 99% of what we watched was on one or the other.
The only time I miss TV is when I can't sleep late at night and channel surf, but I'll usually title search Hulu instead and see if I can find something, or I'll put in a movie.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #20
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Do you have iTunes? We bought a season pass there.

We dumped cable a few months ago and haven't looked back. We have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime and iTunes. About the only thing I can't watch is Guilana and Bill but that's because I haven't bothered to buy it on iTunes yet.
The kids are more selective about what they watch now instead of having the TV on for background noise. And they have discovered new shows to watch.

The reason we made the jump is because we were able to save $145 a month on the cable bill. And we never watched "live tv". We TIVO'ed and DVR'ed everything.
What I did was I made a list of everything we watched and what network it was on. Then we went to Hulu.com and got the free trial for Netflix and charted what was on which site. I'd say 99% of what we watched was on one or the other.
The only time I miss TV is when I can't sleep late at night and channel surf, but I'll usually title search Hulu instead and see if I can find something, or I'll put in a movie.

Yes, we have iTunes. Did not know about season passes. Will have to check that out.

Thanks everyone!
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958 View Post
Yes, we have iTunes. Did not know about season passes. Will have to check that out.

Thanks everyone!
It comes out the day after the original air date on iTunes. If you buy the season pass it is automatically available for download when it posts to iTunes.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Redbox...

I get free codes via text 2x a month.. A few buy one get one free via popcorn boxes..

Only $1.20 and SO much cheaper for our family over that price plans on Netflix and the rest.

Plus there are a ton of them around and you can pick up/drop off at any location.. You can even reserve them..

Now if you are a family that is 24/7 couch potatoes that never gets up and does nothing but watch movies, I guess netflix is a better deal.
disneyfans95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #23
RAPstar
Proud Redhead
I remember reading somewhere
Can you blame me tho?

Quote:
Unless you you download it on the internet....
RAPstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

Sports lovers - MLBTV.COM hooks up to Roku. We're LOOKING at going cable-free and that was our biggie. I'm user if MLBTV does it, and you can get all the games, NFL and NHL etc do it too.

We are still at the research phase, but I'd love to save the money if we could.
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: