Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Lizzyanne1
Earning My Ears

Excursions - Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Was wondering if in Grand Cayman and Cozumel if you do excursions or just explore and find a beach? Trying to decide what to do....any beach reccomendations?
Lizzyanne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We were on the Fantasy 12/8 sailing and in Grand Cayman we did the dolphin encounter/turtle farm excursion. Really enjoyed it.

Didn't do any excursions in Cozumel because we just wanted to shop. Doing an excursion would have been cheaper.
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
samanthas mom
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I can't really help you but I was wondering about Caymen Islands too and just researching. The excursions are adding up $ wise for me and hoping can do Caymen on a budget on our own! I have been there once before in the 1990's and I know there is lots of shopping and all near where you get tendered from ship ie walkable. I think it was all expensive type goods there (Caymen was very upper scale $$ if I remember correctly....). We did a Grand Caymen tour and stopped at Turtle farm and Hell...it was ok, good to get the history and see around the island. I am not sure about beaches though...I was also wondering if public swimming beach near by to walk to and how safe is Caymen (thinking probably pretty safe!).

I have been to Cozumel years ago also and reason I booked was to see the Mayan Ruins however my plane had issues and we missed the ship and had to be flown in to catch up with ship and wasn't able to see the Ruins! We will be seeing them this time for sure! When I was in Cozumel that time we just walked around and shopped (think we may have had to take a very short taxi ride).

Hopefully someone can help us out with some info!
Excited about first b2b Disney cruises on the Wonder - Jan. 24 and 28th, 2013

Last edited by samanthas mom; 12-30-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: adding more info
samanthas mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
gbarstad
Earning My Ears

Grand Cayman was one of our favorite beach days. We walked a block away from the port and grabbed a bus (it is a van) for cheap. Our family of four asked to be dropped off at the public beach area. It was a wonderful, inexpensive day. There was a great little bar on the beach that we ordered cocktails and smoothies from. You can rent chairs or just throw down a towel. Our kids are asking us when we can go back to this beach. They loved it!!! It was very safe and getting a ride back to the port was a breeze. We just walked out to the road and a van stopped immediately. It was a short ride to the ship.

In Cozmel, we did the Fury Catamaran and loved it!
gbarstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Mollie Mooster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
We were on the Fantasy 12/8 sailing and in Grand Cayman we did the dolphin encounter/turtle farm excursion. Really enjoyed it.

Didn't do any excursions in Cozumel because we just wanted to shop. Doing an excursion would have been cheaper.
Did you book this excursion from the ship or on your own? I just booked through the ship for 7:15 a.m., but the itinerary says we get there at 7:30 a.m. so I'm a little confused. Thanks.
Mollie Mooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We booked through the ship. I wouldn't worry about any discrepancy between what the port times and the excursion times are. DCL will adjust to whatever time they get there.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

In Grand Cayman, I did a DCL tour called "Discover Native Cayman and the Saltwater Forest". It started with a bit of a driving tour, and we ended up in an area where there were Mangrove forests. They took us out into them in a flat-bottom boat, and taught us about the ecosystem of the forests. We drove to Hell for a brief stop, and then back past the beach, making a quick stop there. You could have gotten off at the beach if you had wanted to, and found your own way back to the ship. Totally fascinating, and a really good time.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: