Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
LisaR

17 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You

There is a list of 17 things your flight attendant won't tell you that was apparently written by a few disgruntled flight attendants. You can read the list here, if you'd like:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george...b_2342980.html

The thing that stood out to me was #3:
Our airline used to pay us when we showed up for duty at the airport. That was eons ago. Then we got paid our measly hourly wage when the cabin doors closed. Then it was when the plane's brakes were released. Now we get paid only when the wheels leave the ground ("wheels up" in airline parlance). We don't even get paid when we're taxiing! There can sometimes be hours of delay between the time we show up for work and when we're airborne. Different airlines have different policies, but it's a way for them to save money. So when we greet you at the door, we do that for free. When we serve you your pre-flight drink, we do that for free, too. No wonder our smiles are so fake.

Anyone know if this is really true? Do flight attendants honestly only get paid once the wheels leave the ground? I find that one hard to believe. If true, they really are getting screwed.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Is that article for real or is someone pulling our leg? LOL

As for the getting paid. I find it hard to believe. Flight attendants are unionized. I have plenty of experience with unions and find it impossible to think that they aren't getting paid until wheels up. I mean we have to pay our employees a minimum of 2 hours even if they show up and get sent home right away for rain. If it is, that's rough
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Is that article for real or is someone pulling our leg? LOL

As for the getting paid. I find it hard to believe. Flight attendants are unionized. I have plenty of experience with unions and find it impossible to think that they aren't getting paid until wheels up. I mean we have to pay our employees a minimum of 2 hours even if they show up and get sent home right away for rain. If it is, that's rough
It does seem like a joke, doesn't it?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
mimmi
DIS Veteran

I've workes as a flight attendant until recently, for a European airline with a very good contract, and we got paid when we started to move (it was called block time), so boarding, standing around for hours because of technicals or weather problems, even with passengers on board, wasn't paid.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

I'm pretty sure the part about not getting paid while on the ground is true.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The FA job used to be portrayed as "glamarous", traveling all over the country or the world. I wouldn't want that job for anything. All that travel has to be exhausting, you have to put up with passengers who are stressed or rude.

I found this chart for pay:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/fl...RCH_KO0,16.htm

The hourly rate is high, makes up for time on the ground that they don't get paid for.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
The FA job used to be portrayed as "glamarous", traveling all over the country or the world. I wouldn't want that job for anything. All that travel has to be exhausting, you have to put up with passengers who are stressed or rude.

I found this chart for pay:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/fl...RCH_KO0,16.htm

The hourly rate is high, makes up for time on the ground that they don't get paid for.
I don't think $26/hr would make up for much unpaid time. Even if you had back to back flights with very little time lapse in between, I could easily see an 8 hour day resulting in a 5 hour paycheck. Thus reducing the pay to $16 / hr. Any flight delays, etc. and you could be seeing only $10/hr. or less.
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

My DH works for an airline and he gets paid once the plane leaves the gate and his pay stops when he gets to the gate. So when he has maintenance or weather delays he is not getting paid. He can work long hours and only get paid for 4. So the next time you are traveling and have a delay that you are absolutely pissed about, don't take it out on the employees because they are doing the best job they can.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

This kind of makes me want to fly less. If they hate the passengers so much, they should have chosen another career.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
gottaluvPluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
This kind of makes me want to fly less. If they hate the passengers so much, they should have chosen another career.
Most people who work for an airline don't hate passengers, however, they do hate the way some people treat them poorly.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
They don't hate passengers, but with attitudes like this, I can see where they would get a little ticked off at some. I guess you don't mind catering to people for free?
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

I have a relative that is a flight attendant. The stories he tells me, and his constant whining about his job, I just wonder why he does it. He hates it, hates everything about it, but just waits to retire.

Listening to this relative tell his stories, it just makes me wonder what the flight attendants think about me when I board that plane, and if that cup of water I just asked for to take my medicine is going to have spit in it.

I know my relative is not how all are, for I have met some really wonderful flight attendants that are attentive and caring and give the impression of liking their job (and I have written to their airline so the top guys can know, too!), but I also know there are some like my relative, that are finding fault with every passenger and are irritated when their conversations in the back of the plane are interrupted when someone wants to go back and use the bathroom, or worse, ask for a cup of water.

My relative has seen many changes in pay, and for his airline, he does not get paid until the wheels are up. However, his hourly pay did go up when things were changed to this years ago, but that doesn't matter to him. According to a friend of this relative, the pay actually increased if you are willing to fly more. This friend flies every week, and makes almost $90,000 per year. He likes to fly, likes the passengers, and doesn't let the irritations get to him as my relative does.

My relative works the bare minimum to maintain insurance. He is always complaining that my DH and I don't view his job as a full-time job, but in reality, my DH works 50 - 55 hours a week, every week, while my relative doesn't work at all some weeks. Now the friend, he works alot, and is compensated for it, but all my relative focuses on is that he has to put up with so much aggravation for so little pay.

On top of all this, I am a fearful flier. I hate flying. I don't trust the plane, the pilots, the mechanics, none of them. I like to sit near the front of the plane, and let the flight attendants know that I am a fearful flier, and will probably be shaking, and will look at them during turbulence, but otherwise, I am fine. Relative says that the flight attendants are all laughing at me behing my back, and if something did happen, they wouldn't even want to help me, since I am forcing them to smile at me. Really? I am thinking that if flight attendants hate flying and customer service so much, they should perhaps find another job.

Personally, I think they don't have it that bad, because really, how many jobs out there let you choose your days of work, your times of work, where you go to work, and how much your paycheck will be? I would really be sad if the majority of flight attendants actually were like my relative, as opposed to his friend. Everyone complains about work, but when all you do is whine whine whine, perhaps you need to find another job, one where you have no contact with the public. Articles like this one just make me believe that the ones that like their job are very few and far between.
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax

They don't hate passengers, but with attitudes like this, I can see where they would get a little ticked off at some. I guess you don't mind catering to people for free?
I have zero attitude when I'm on a plane. I'm always very respectful of the flight attendants when I fly and I never ask for much. I understand that they deal with rudeness from people everyday and they should get paid fairly. I think giving passengers decaf when they asked for regular to make them sleep quicker is childish, with all that said.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
The one(s) that wrote the article certainly seem to hate passengers. That's when you know it's time to change careers.

The ones I've encountered seem to be caring people trying to do their job the best way they can. I'm sure they dislike reading articles like this as well. I believe they try to be as professional - in words and actions - and not bitterly sarcastic as the article portrayed.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
gottaluvPluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
I have a relative that is a flight attendant. The stories he tells me, and his constant whining about his job, I just wonder why he does it. He hates it, hates everything about it, but just waits to retire.

Listening to this relative tell his stories, it just makes me wonder what the flight attendants think about me when I board that plane, and if that cup of water I just asked for to take my medicine is going to have spit in it.

I know my relative is not how all are, for I have met some really wonderful flight attendants that are attentive and caring and give the impression of liking their job (and I have written to their airline so the top guys can know, too!), but I also know there are some like my relative, that are finding fault with every passenger and are irritated when their conversations in the back of the plane are interrupted when someone wants to go back and use the bathroom, or worse, ask for a cup of water.

My relative has seen many changes in pay, and for his airline, he does not get paid until the wheels are up. However, his hourly pay did go up when things were changed to this years ago, but that doesn't matter to him. According to a friend of this relative, the pay actually increased if you are willing to fly more. This friend flies every week, and makes almost $90,000 per year. He likes to fly, likes the passengers, and doesn't let the irritations get to him as my relative does.

My relative works the bare minimum to maintain insurance. He is always complaining that my DH and I don't view his job as a full-time job, but in reality, my DH works 50 - 55 hours a week, every week, while my relative doesn't work at all some weeks. Now the friend, he works alot, and is compensated for it, but all my relative focuses on is that he has to put up with so much aggravation for so little pay.

On top of all this, I am a fearful flier. I hate flying. I don't trust the plane, the pilots, the mechanics, none of them. I like to sit near the front of the plane, and let the flight attendants know that I am a fearful flier, and will probably be shaking, and will look at them during turbulence, but otherwise, I am fine. Relative says that the flight attendants are all laughing at me behing my back, and if something did happen, they wouldn't even want to help me, since I am forcing them to smile at me. Really? I am thinking that if flight attendants hate flying and customer service so much, they should perhaps find another job.

Personally, I think they don't have it that bad, because really, how many jobs out there let you choose your days of work, your times of work, where you go to work, and how much your paycheck will be? I would really be sad if the majority of flight attendants actually were like my relative, as opposed to his friend. Everyone complains about work, but when all you do is whine whine whine, perhaps you need to find another job, one where you have no contact with the public. Articles like this one just make me believe that the ones that like their job are very few and far between.
How far up the list is your friend in seniority? That really makes the difference in pay and the ability to get flights with max hours. Most FAs have a hard time making that kind of money.

Trust me, as long as you are not rude they are not giving you a second thought. In an emergency they will do their job and get you off the plane, even if they don't like you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: