Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #76
Minnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Peach View Post
I cannot speak to whether the prices paid on that shopping trip were too high.

But I do know that I wouldn't last very long in a marriage where one of the partners decides whether the other " gets to do the shopping"!!!

Good grief!

OP - It you are struggling so much that you will need to eat only ramen noodles and PB until next paycheck - then seriously why host the party? So many are struggling and most would or should understand.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #77
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Quote:
Because of this thread, I sent my husband to the store today to pick up some tortillas for dinner. He came home with a package of raspberries, a package of blackberries, a huge bag of grapes ... and the tortillas.
At least he got the tortillas!

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #78
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

DH does a large portion of the "run by and grab it" shopping. He knows more about the WIC than I do. Yep, there are days when we end up with more or less than we wanted...It was on sale!! But as he often says, "To quote Bill Cosby, 'we are dumb, but not so dumb. It takes great work to keep from working."

So I have a choice, let him spend extra money at the Dollar Tree or other sale items. OR I can go out in the storm w/ little one.

He never points it out to me, but I'm a SAHM so I know how to stretch "his" money.

He gets excited when I come home with the "you saved $$ receipts" and wants to know what I did different. Um, you were at home...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #79
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Wow, if we had to spend that much on a gathering for 12, we could never afford to do it. I cook mostly from scratch and love to make very nice dishes. I stock the freezer with very nice cuts of meat on sale, and can easily fix a great meal for a family gathering for $50 or less. That's including the meat, appetizers, desserts, the works.
It could be your area, we live in Long Island, NY. It could be I shop at Costco, a trip for a few items there, could easily put anyone over any budget. I am a chef by trade so I cook from scratch pretty much everyday, and at family gatherings. Believe me, I try to cut corners.

As for you feeding 12 people for $50 for a family gathering, that is impressive! But, I am pretty sure, that is not the norm. I guess it comes down to what you buy and prepare for the meal. What the op stated for her gathering would not do for me. Meat, appetizers, desserts, the works are all variables. A rib roast at costco is more than your whole $50 dollar budget, it is more like $80+ for a 10 lb roast, comparably a rib roast on sale @ a local store would be around $40 so that leaves 10 dollars to spend on everything else, a $50 dollar budget for 12 just cannot cut it here.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #80
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Hmmm.. this thread has me thinking. I think if dh did the grocery shopping it would actually be cheaper! When he's the one that goes to the store he's actually pretty good about watching for sales and not buying what he thinks is too expensive. Our disconnect comes in to play when it's me doing all the cooking and menu planning for a party. I tend to want to buy things we don't normally splurge on when we are entertaining. I don't go overboard, but he pulls me back in sometimes. On the other hand, I push a little for him to not be so thrifty that we sacrifice quality.
That's kind of how we work at everything though, we pull one another back from any extremes and try to meet in the middle somewhere.

We have a lunch tomorrow for 9 people. Just a casual thing. Someone else is bringing the soups. We are providing all the things for sandwiches, appetizers, salad and beverages.
That alone was $60 dollars and we had a lot of the stuff already.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #81
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

When my dh goes shopping with me I always end up spending double ad I tell him that lol. He says when he goes we actually have food .

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ x 2
2015 POFQ
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #82
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
I know one thing... If I went to the store with a list from my wife and came home perfectly with everything on that list and later sat down at the computer and found a post like this, I would promptly stand up, walk out to the kitchen, open all packages I purchased, and dump them in the garbage. There you go, you go do the shopping!

And I don't believe a word of anyone who constantly claims they spend $50/week on groceries unless they don't count the 5 days of eating out that they do. I couldn't feed my family Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 7 days for $50. $50 for a family of 4 would be $0.60 per person per meal. I've seen enough folks post the $50/week with even more than 4 people in the family. You're not getting a meal for 60 cents.

I enjoyed this response. I might not waste the food, per se, but I would be quite annoyed if my spouse treated me as a child and resented my family. I would not worry about being divorced for my response because I could never live this way.
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #83
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Food Stamps are meant to supplement the food budgets of low-income families. The program isn't meant to provide for all of their food. For instance, there's also WIC for families with children 5 and under. For those with children over the age of 5, there are subsidized school lunch programs that sometimes also cover free breakfast on school days. And those families are expected to spend some of their own income to pay for food as well. So really, the state is not assuming that you can feed a family on $30 per person per week. They are just helping out to the tune of $30 per person per week.
You are right that its meant to be supplemental, but often it isn't. Some families have no additional income, or what little income they have needs to go to gas in the car or rent or other necessities. The folks I know on SNAP don't supplement. That's their budget.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #84
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi

You are right that its meant to be supplemental, but often it isn't. Some families have no additional income, or what little income they have needs to go to gas in the car or rent or other necessities. The folks I know on SNAP don't supplement. That's their budget.
Granted, ymmv, but in Michigan, a family of 4 with no income gets $664 per month in SNAP benefits. There is no reason to supplement at that range. For that much I could get the lamb roast and the rib roast and still have money to spare.

And in Michigan they take into account your rent and transportation expenses (as well as heat/elect and internet if it is being used for job search). So if some is telling you that they have no income and can't get by on SNAP then I would be highly suspect of that either because they feel its none of your business or the stigma is too great.

Edit: Actually it isn't no income. It is the max unemployment for the state of Michigan. So, 352*4= 1408 per month, and still get $664 in SNAP benefits.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #85
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Don View Post
I brace myself when my wife does the grocery shopping by herself as she comes home with a ton of junk food. Most of the time I go by myself or we go together.
Good that you know how to hold your tongue, lol!

I think going together is the fun thing to do.

Have you ever noticed how much junk food is in the grocery store? You've got your meat, dairy, vegetables and staples aisles. Then the multiple aisles for junk food, freezer junk food, and assorted non grocery items.

I've learned to circle the perimeter of my stores to find the healthy options I want to buy.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #86
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
That's not bad.

The meat alone for the chili was $100 - New York Strip. The total bill for this party this year was probably close to $600 - maybe more. Almost everything is organic.
$100 for the meat to feed 40-60 people sounds okay to me.

I bought a filet of beef from Costco to make Xmas dinner with. It was $68.
The rib roasts were close to $100. I was feeding 5 people.

Where you live and where you buy makes a huge difference.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #87
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judique View Post
$100 for the meat to feed 40-60 people sounds okay to me.

I bought a filet of beef from Costco to make Xmas dinner with. It was $68.
The rib roasts were close to $100. I was feeding 5 people.

Where you live and where you buy makes a huge difference.

Except that 3/4 of them don't eat meat. We are talking $100 to feed ten people - in chili. For a snack - we aren't feeding them dinner.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #88
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Except that 3/4 of them don't eat meat. We are talking $100 to feed ten people - in chili. For a snack - we aren't feeding them dinner.
That's why I said $100 doesn't sound that bad. If all you had to spend for 40-60 people was about $600 as per your post, your husband hosted a pretty cheap party. You averaged $10- $15 a person - again cheap cheap cheap for a party! Good job, husband!

And you had all those leftovers in terms of liquor and soda and wine.......made your party even more frugal.......
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #89
ScottOKW2K
Wishing I was working for a REAL Mickey Mouse operation !

A question to those spouses who are so quick to comment on the "poor choices" of their other spouse - have you actually taken them shopping with you enough so that he/she would know your usual choices and spending habits at the store? If you provide a list, do you actually Communicate with each other about the specifics of the items?

I will use the OP's list, and coments on how it would work in our household:

little wieners (for appetizers in the crock pot)
- I don't normally eat these, so you better be specific. Brand, size, etc.
1 bag of tortilla chips
- What size and brand?
juice
- frozen or bottled? Flavor ?
soda
- brand, canned or bottled? I usually buy canned because I don't like flat soda.
laundry detergent
- here = Tide Free. anything else and you are just wasting your money.
cat food
- no cat, but a large Golden. We use super-premium food we order on-line. Sounds expensive, doesn't it? He is in excellent health, beautiful coat, and no problems with skin rashs / hot spots (a common problem with goldens.) Sometimes cheap does not save you money.
pan for the turkey to cook in
- no comment here.
apple pie
- bakery or frozen ? Brand or store ?
cherry pie
- same as above.
couple cans of soup
- brand and type ?

As the one who does the grocery shopping in our household I am well aware that grocery stores are DESIGNED to entice the uninformed or infrequent shopper to buy more / spend more. 10/$10 tags may make you think it is on sale when it isn't, and when you see 3/$5 you would likely think you would have to buy three to get the sale price.

Here's how shopping works at our house. First, the money is OUR money, not mine or hers (though until recently 98% was from me.) Second, if the amount is over $50 we tell the other one about it - afterwards is ok. As far as the original topic in this thread - groceries - I do most of that shopping and I am better at it than my wife. I know the brands we typically get, what the usual prices are, and do check the sale paper when I enter the store if I haven't done so beforehand. I have also bought items "off-list" too. Why ? Because it was something I wanted and I could afford, or something my wife likes but would not normally buy for herself because of price - and I love her and want her to be happy. My wife recently purchased some clothes at a store she prefers. Could she have gotten similar clothes at another store for less - don't know. But she was proud they were on sale and she used a coupon she received from the store. Long story short - she looks beautiful in what she purchased, she is happy with the transaction, and I know her spending habits and philosophy enough after 29 years of marriage that I don't second-guess her. I don't know what she paid and truly don't care - I TRUST HER !

And to all those who are so proud of their grocery-shopping "skillz" - and
sanctimonious about their spouses / significant other's lack of same - I hope they send you to Home Depot with a similar list. The look of confusion on your face would be priceless !
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #90
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottOKW2K View Post
I hope they send you to Home Depot with a similar list. The look of confusion on your face would be priceless !
[/COLOR]
Awww, baby - this would be NO problem!! There's always going to be a MAN there who wants to help us out!!!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: