DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Exclamation Disney Can Share Your Personal Info

Just a heads up!

Occasionally I read posts where people are trying to figure out where some third party obtained their personal info about their DVC ownership.

One possible source could be Disney. Yearly with your dues bill is a document that you must fill out and mail back to Disney at least one time to be excluded from them sharing or selling your personal info.

I'm amazed that they would do such a thing but they wouldn't have the opt out policy and require a returned document if they didn't intend to share your info.

Bill

Last edited by disneynutz; 12-30-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: sp
disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Everybody's DVC ownership info is a matter of public record. As a real estate interest your deed is recorded with the county.
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!

Wow. I did not see that coming. How can Disney do such a thing?!
ilovedisney1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedisney1982 View Post
Wow. I did not see that coming. How can Disney do such a thing?!
Every business sends out it's privacy policy pretty much yearly. So if you buy a Dell computer directly from Dell, they will send you their privacy policy and you can opt out.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
drusba

DIS Veteran

You can review the policy and learn how to opt out here: http://disneyvacationclub.disney.go....rivacy-policy/

Note DVC's policy is similar to many others. Check the one from your bank and you are likely to find it looks the same.

Last edited by drusba; 12-30-2012 at 11:14 AM.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Every business sends out it's privacy policy pretty much yearly. So if you buy a Dell computer directly from Dell, they will send you their privacy policy and you can opt out.
Let's be honest--nobody reads the privacy policy. The point makes sense, but I still don't understand why they would exploit our info.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Let's be honest--nobody reads the privacy policy. The point makes sense, but I still don't understand why they would exploit our info.
Because they are a business and operate to make a profit?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Because they are a business and operate to make a profit?
I understand that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with another business having my info. That is a violation of confidentiality.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Everybody's DVC ownership info is a matter of public record. As a real estate interest your deed is recorded with the county.
Your name and what you bought is public record but Disney can share any info that you have provided them including address, phone number, SSN, transaction info, and your credit info. They are limited by law depending on which State you live in.

A "we do not share your info" policy would be more consumer friendly but Disney has a different policy.

Bill

Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Your name and what you bought is public record but Disney can share any info that you have provided them including address, phone number, SSN, transaction info, and your credit info. They are limited by law depending on which State you live in.

A "we do not share your info" policy would be more consumer friendly but Disney has a different policy.

Bill
That is what I don't feel comfortable with. My address, phone #, SSN, and credit info is nobody's business. I'm sorry if I'm the only one who feels that way, but I just purchased DVC 3 months ago, and now I'm worried.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
disneynutz

Quote:
That is what I don't feel comfortable with. My address, phone #, SSN, and credit info is nobody's business. I'm sorry if I'm the only one who feels that way, but I just purchased DVC 3 months ago, and now I'm worried.
I wouldn't be worried just make sure that you notify Disney that you want to keep your info away from third parties. According to their instructions, you have to use their form which is included with your dues statement.

Bill

Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried just make sure that you notify Disney that you want to keep your info away from third parties. According to their instructions, you have to use their form which is included with your dues statement.

Bill
Bill,
We pay our dues monthly directly from our checking account. With that beng said I never receive a form yearly.

Irv
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
Bill,
We pay our dues monthly directly from our checking account. With that beng said I never receive a form yearly.

Irv
I would send a email to Member Administration or Member Satisfaction requesting instructions on updating your preferences.

Bill

Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
According to their instructions, you have to use their form which is included with your dues statement.

Bill
As drusba stated in a prior post, you can get a copy of the Privacy Disclosure form from the dvcmember website. You are not limited to using the form that is included in the yearly dues statement.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let's be honest--nobody reads the privacy policy.
Plenty of people read it. Plenty of people read through the legal information they are provided with. Even if it's in fine print. ESPECIALLY if it's in fine print.

Quote:
I understand that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with another business having my info. That is a violation of confidentiality.
Because you feel that way, it is absolutely imperative that, from now going forward, you READ the information provided you. Go pull out your contract info and read it. Know what is in the paperwork. And read all privacy notices that everyone provides you, read the fine print, the popup messages, KNOW what you are agreeing to.

If you have strong feelings about your privacy, do what you need to do to protect it. Now you know that almost every business might have a policy of sharing information. Seek out each company's exact policy and read it. And do what you need to do to not let your info be shared.

And you won't have to think that no one reads privacy policies anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
Bill,

Irv
FYI, we get the yearly statement and we pay monthly. You're not getting what you should be getting!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: