Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #1396
jimandami
DIS Veteran

We are headed out for 13-14 miles....it is 13 degrees and feels like 0! Ouch!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #1397
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

I had my first marathon dream last night. I dreamt that it was here in STL, and I was up at 4 but my mom had all these errands I needed to run (not sure why we had to take my nephew to the dentist at 4am ;-/) with her, so we were going all over town. The next thing I know it's 630am and I missed it!!!

Was hoping to do our last long run of 12 miles today, but it's 15F. I really really hate cold. Not to mention I'm feeling stressed with SO much to do before our trip. My house is still destroyed from Christmas, I need to shop for the kids- they wear uniforms to school so have very little 'normal' clothes....ugh!!!
Thanks for listening to my rant. Guess I better finish my coffee and get motivated for the day!

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #1398
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

We're less than two weeks away!! I have to admit, I couldn't wait that long so my daughter and I headed over to sight see yesterday (pics on my blog). We had a great time and it's just enough Disney magic to push through my 9 miler today (haven't run yet but I will!)

I'm thinking of listening to an audiobook as I run--even my music is getting repetitive at this point I've used audio before and I like it but it tends to slow me down (which may be okay for a long run). We'll see--still waiting for it to warm up--it's only 45 degrees outside--brr!!!

Great job on your runs, everybody!!

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #1399
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
For the 2012 5K race, the start was divided into two separate waves. The first wave was up to 10/11mpm pacing, IIRC and then the second wave was 12mpm to walkers. I watched the first wave start from the bleachers and then started the second wave as the LAST person across the start line. Even though I was in corral C for the Half and Full, I started right in front of the Balloon Ladies for fun.
Just curious, what/who are "the Balloon Ladies"? I have see that mention several times but never thought to ask?

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #1400
Bephus
DIS Veteran

I went out for a last long run and got my 18 miler in today. It was cold for NO FL (36 at 5:30, yuck) and really windy, but I feel great. No coughing, no major fatigue, and my legs held up well. Pace was a little off because of the wind but I am fine with that. Ready for my taper now! I can't believe we are two weeks away, I started pulling the kids clothes out this weekend and will need to start some serious packing soon. DS only has Star Wars LS shirts so I HAD to get him a Mickey one. Lol. Can't wait to get to Orlando.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #1401
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
Just curious, what/who are "the Balloon Ladies"? I have see that mention several times but never thought to ask?
I think they are talking about the Cliff Race Pacers. I know I was trying to keep up with them when I did the marathon a bunch of years back. The problem for me was that they start in a specific corral and my corral was further back (meaning I would have to make up time to get to them). We saw them in our sights a few times but never quite made it to the group. I believe they are paced every 15 or 30 minutes and if you keep up with the pacer, you will make your race time goal (i.e. if you want to finish the half in 2:30 you follow that balloon throughout the race).

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #1402
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They're the women (usually women but not always) who start the race when the very last person crosses the start line. They go at exactly a 16 min/mile pace, and if you're behind them during the race, you're in danger of being swept out of the race.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #1403
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
They're the women (usually women but not always) who start the race when the very last person crosses the start line. They go at exactly a 16 min/mile pace, and if you're behind them during the race, you're in danger of being swept out of the race.
That is what I imagined.

They should now replace the Balloon Ladies with Star Wars stormtroopers. Have them marching in a line like riot police. I guess that would be too intimidating and very un-Disney like.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #1404
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Both are correct, but the lady's JohnVN is speaking of are the sweeper ladies. The pacers also have balloons but also have a finish time they are trying to hit. Note that with Disney's wave starts, do not think that if you are finishing with the 4:30 pacer group that you will have finished the marathon in 4:30. If you caught them and they started in a corral ahead of you, you will be at least 7 minutes under their time... likewise, if they caught you but started in a corral behind you, you are at least 7 minutes longer than the 4:30 time.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1405
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Bailed on my run a few moments ago. I am not sure exactly what happened but the lights started to go out. I slowed up and recovered but once back on pace the light headed feeling returned. I call the 5 mile run good and may retry tomorrow after watching today's diet and hydration a lot better.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1406
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Checked in this morning via early check in. Do not really believe that this helps all that much on villa assignments, but it makes me feel better about the chances of getting special requests. If I ask for what I do not want, I usually get what I want. Anyway, that is the strategy.
Just tried early checkin, web site says "early check in unavailable". But, looks like a temporary site issue.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #1407
lerxst
Marathoner

For those that need added (or renewed) motivation, he is the link to the revel of the full medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6Sr4TPoKo

Just watched it again for the first time in several months...now, I want to go put on my shoes and run out the door.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #1408
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just tried early checkin, web site says "early check in unavailable". But, looks like a temporary site issue.
I think it is a wonky site since the last round of revisions. If using I.E. you may want to try Chrome or Safari. Also, I paid my annual dues this AM, maybe that helped
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #1409
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For those that need added (or renewed) motivation, he is the link to the revel of the full medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6Sr4TPoKo

Just watched it again for the first time in several months...now, I want to go put on my shoes and run out the door.
THanks. I just sent to my brother who is feeling down. His longest run was Dec 9 . He has a monster case of PF and will not go to the doc for help. I know he can finish the full with the training under his belt, but it will be a very long day.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #1410
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
THanks. I just sent to my brother who is feeling down. His longest run was Dec 9 . He has a monster case of PF and will not go to the doc for help. I know he can finish the full with the training under his belt, but it will be a very long day.
Fighting PF as well. Mild here, but the last month as really punished. Should be fine on race day.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: