Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #31
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Haven't read all of the threads but have you thought about the WoC VIP dining package? That's the only way I've seen it. I don't have a 2 yo (my son is 5) but even without kids I'd never stand longer than 30-45 min for a show. Heck I don't do that for rides.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #32
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLime View Post
The amount of logistics and planning and waiting involved to maybe get a decent view with an impatient and energetic 2 year old in tow does not sound like my idea of fun.

We saw Fantasmic! in WDW so we won't die by skipping out on WOC this time. Someone else can have our spot.

That WOC is so difficult to see is Disney's problem. You have no need to apologize. People who don't have the time to dedicate to the wait for the show should not see it. It is not worth it (to me) if you do not get one of the better spots - unless everyone in your group is tall. Then you can skimp on wait time. But if you have kids you need to wait longer.

Disney is supposed to Excel at viewing experiences. On the WOC show itself I would give Disney an "A". On the WOC viewing area design I would give Disney a "D". They messed up.

With all of that, I will point out - as I have in the past - that if you want a good viewing spot for DL Fantasmic and you have kids you have the same issue of a long wait. Even longer really for the first show. If you can manage to keep your kids up late enough for the second show you can get a shorter wait of an hour. Otherwise it is 2+ hours for a decent spot at the first show where young kids can see.

The Fantasmic wait at WDW is similar and requires 1-2 hours. The payoff there is stadium seating where everyone in your group will have a reasonably good view.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #33
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLime
The amount of logistics and planning and waiting involved to maybe get a decent view with an impatient and energetic 2 year old in tow does not sound like my idea of fun.

We saw Fantasmic! in WDW so we won't die by skipping out on WOC this time. Someone else can have our spot.

I don't blame people for skipping WOC. Honestly if you have younger kids it can be a hassle to see. It is really a shame because it is an awesome show and everyone I have taken to it has loved it! I wish the viewing area would be fixed.

If I didn't have an AP I probably wouldn't have watched as many times as I have. But because the AP gives me flexibility, I have the luxury to spend the time to get a good spot.

I did want to say that the late show of WOC has recently been uncrowded. I know it isn't an option for everyone, but in September and early December, I went to the second shows of WOC and they were half empty. I reported this on the WOC thread in September and had pictures. It seems as though this may still be the case as a PP up thread said the same thing.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Haven't read all of the threads but have you thought about the WoC VIP dining package?
If the food looked better we might have considered it, but it seems an expensive option for food we wouldn't really love and a show we're not dying to see. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
That WOC is so difficult to see is Disney's problem. You have no need to apologize. People who don't have the time to dedicate to the wait for the show should not see it. It is not worth it (to me) if you do not get one of the better spots - unless everyone in your group is tall. Then you can skimp on wait time. But if you have kids you need to wait longer.

The Fantasmic wait at WDW is similar and requires 1-2 hours. The payoff there is stadium seating where everyone in your group will have a reasonably good view.
With the exception of my DH, everyone in my family is really short. So that's another reason. lol

When we saw Fantasmic! in WDW we got lucky and went to the 2nd showing on a whim, walked right in and watched the show. The stadium seating definitely helped. I know that was a fluke and there is no way I'm keeping my toddler up that late for a show (talk about crabby pants!).

This trip is all about introducing our son to the wonder that is Disney. We could leave him Carsland for the duration of the trip and he'd be thrilled.

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

It also leaves you something exciting to look forward to next trip.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
It also leaves you something exciting to look forward to next trip.
Very true!! I definitely plan on going back once my son is a bit older.

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Could you please explain how you saw WoC with a less than 5 minute wait? I would like to learn from your experience. Thank you.

- Dreams
My family and I have now seen the show 9 times. We always do the dining package, previously at Ariel's Grotto or the Wine Country Trattoria, and most recently at the Carthay Circle Theater. These are restaurants we enjoy anyway, and getting the preferred viewing WoC fastpasses is usually just a bonus.

They set aside enough space in the preferred viewing area for everyone who has those fastpasses to get a great view. We have never arrived more than 5 minutes before showtime, and our view has ranged from unobstructed right up at a railing to standing in the back of a section with enough angle to see above and around the people who are standing at the railing.

This really is the way to do WoC. You get a good meal, no-hassle entry to the show, and a great view!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #38
damiel
DIS Veteran

We saw it the first time two years ago, did the dinner/show combo. We felt like our view wasn't that great even with the special viewing area. We wern't all that impressed withthe show either. Tried it again last year with out the prefered viewing, still not impressed. This year we are skipping it. Hopefully we can get in a short ride line while everyone else is standing like sardines watching it.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #39
tikimao
Earning My Ears

I was also considering skipping it, even though it's supposed to be great. It's new since we were last at DCA, but this trip we'll have my 13 and 9 year old girls and our new baby, so figuring out the logistics seems daunting. The girls are not tall and neither am I so we'd need to figure out a good spot or no one could see. My DH isn't big on long stretches of standing in one place either.

I did consider the picnic option and we may do that if they have WOC on the day (s) we're at DCA vs DL. The food pictures, though, look like the meals have ingredients I'm allergic to.
tikimao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

We did the Fantasmic Dessert package and got nice seats for that show. At WoC, there are no seats, even if you do the dining package. The show is long, too. Frankly, we liked the water ballet way more than the projections of Disney movies. We did it once, but that is enough for us. If we could get seats, that would change the whole experience. I think WoC is probably a good time to ride some rides.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #41
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

I didn't like WOC. Standing for hours on end just to see it is just not worth it to me. My feet hurt enough as it is! Also whether you can even see depends on people around you, and I don't like to bank my experiences on other people.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: