Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Nicoleclaw
Mouseketeer

Good starting rides for ride chickens?

We will be visiting this March and I would like us to try some rides that we can handle. My husband goes on anything. I don't go on much due to being a chicken and getting motion sick easily. I can get the typical nausea or dizziness in a car if trying to read too much. I don't particularly like spinning or big drops either... My 9 year old has done some beginner roller coasters and the big spinny ride that goes up on the side and you stick to the wall. She does tend to get carsick as well. My 5 year old is just starting to do some bigger rides like the regular sized scrambler and Himalaya (goes around in a large circle quickly).

From your experience, what might be good to try? No star tours my husband and I both do not like it! How is the newnTest Track for people who might get carsick? We have been on Soarin and did like it. That's probably the scariest ride for us so far! Thanks for any advice!
Nicoleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
~Tonga Wingo~
A.K.A Mrs. Dale

At MK, try Splash Mountain. The drop looks much scarier than it is and has a bunch of little drops to build up to it. My five-year-old nephew loved it as did my eight-year-old niece. I also just love the story. If you can't go on it because of the drops, I'd encourage your husband to take your children on it. I also really like Peter Pan although I hate heights.

I'd stay away from Dinosaur in AK. Scared all of my nephews and niece (12,8,5). It's also quite bumpy so if you get car sick, I'd avoid. I like Kali River Rapids as did my niece and nephews. It was my five-year-old nephew's favorite ride the whole trip.

In Epcot, one of my favorite rides is Maelstrom. It's in Norway.

In DHS, it's not a ride, but I would check out the Animation Studio. It's wonderful. Each class gets to draw an animated character with a real Disney animator as in instructor. They provide the paper/pencils and you get to take the drawing home. It's also FREE! I cannot draw at all but managed a wonderful Goofy. Aside from Toy Story, Star Tours and the Great Movie Ride, I don't find much at this park to ride. I can't do roller coasters and Tower of Terror would make me sick. I do love the shows though and the little extras like the Animation Studio.

WDW Commando Member #143
-----------------------------------------------
Latest Trips: June 2010 ASMo / May 2011 Pop / June 2012 Music / Oct 2013 POR

Upcoming trip!! AKL - Nov 2014
~Tonga Wingo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

MK - Goofy's Barnstormer has re-opened in Fantasyland, although they renamed it. It is a 'beginner kids coaster' and DD went on it 4 times when she was nearly 3!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is pretty tame and fun, we especially love it at night!

Everything else at MK is pretty tame too except for Space Mtn and Splash Mtn.

DHS - only thrill rides are Rockin' and TOT. I don't like a free fall so won't do TOT. Love Rockin!

AK - You would likely like the Safari, it is bumpy but if you go in the am when it is cool outside, you may see some gorgeous lions! EE is amazing but is a real coaster, minus any loops.

Epcot - TT is pretty intense at the end for a non thrill person, but otherwise tame. Soarin is just a great experience. DD (when she was 5) did Team Orange but if you don't want to feel that G force, you could go Team Green, although I cannot tell you what it is like.
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Nicoleclaw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tonga Wingo~ View Post
At MK, try Splash Mountain. The drop looks much scarier than it is and has a bunch of little drops to build up to it. My five-year-old nephew loved it as did my eight-year-old niece. I also just love the story. If you can't go on it because of the drops, I'd encourage your husband to take your children on it. I also really like Peter Pan although I hate heights.

I'd stay away from Dinosaur in AK. Scared all of my nephews and niece (12,8,5). It's also quite bumpy so if you get car sick, I'd avoid. I like Kali River Rapids as did my niece and nephews. It was my five-year-old nephew's favorite ride the whole trip.

In Epcot, one of my favorite rides is Maelstrom. It's in Norway.

In DHS, it's not a ride, but I would check out the Animation Studio. It's wonderful. Each class gets to draw an animated character with a real Disney animator as in instructor. They provide the paper/pencils and you get to take the drawing home. It's also FREE! I cannot draw at all but managed a wonderful Goofy. Aside from Toy Story, Star Tours and the Great Movie Ride, I don't find much at this park to ride. I can't do roller coasters and Tower of Terror would make me sick. I do love the shows though and the little extras like the Animation Studio.

Thanks so much! We have done Norway and will do again. Kali we have done, depends on the weather when we are there. I was JUST reading about the Animation Studio. We have never done it and my daughter is really into drawing so I know she will love it. Splash mountain....one oof my friends just went on it (she gets vertigo at times) and had problems with it...not the drop, she is fine on that part, but she said the rest is like a water roller coaster....thoughts? Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Nicoleclaw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatgirl View Post
MK - Goofy's Barnstormer has re-opened in Fantasyland, although they renamed it. It is a 'beginner kids coaster' and DD went on it 4 times when she was nearly 3!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is pretty tame and fun, we especially love it at night!

Everything else at MK is pretty tame too except for Space Mtn and Splash Mtn.

DHS - only thrill rides are Rockin' and TOT. I don't like a free fall so won't do TOT. Love Rockin!

AK - You would likely like the Safari, it is bumpy but if you go in the am when it is cool outside, you may see some gorgeous lions! EE is amazing but is a real coaster, minus any loops.

Epcot - TT is pretty intense at the end for a non thrill person, but otherwise tame. Soarin is just a great experience. DD (when she was 5) did Team Orange but if you don't want to feel that G force, you could go Team Green, although I cannot tell you what it is like.
Thanks! My husband will probably take my 9 year old on goofy's. We have done the safari. That's about my speed. Thinking about green but not sure about the motion simulator aspect. Hmmmmm we will have to debate about TT. We have watched the video, and it does seem to go for quite a bit at the end! Debating on Big thunder mountain railroad...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
mhnewcomb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleclaw View Post
Thanks! My husband will probably take my 9 year old on goofy's. We have done the safari. That's about my speed. Thinking about green but not sure about the motion simulator aspect. Hmmmmm we will have to debate about TT. We have watched the video, and it does seem to go for quite a bit at the end! Debating on Big thunder mountain railroad...
I am like you--not a fan of heights, and I even get carsick just by not being the driver! I am seriously a person who did NOT enjoy the silly little baby coaster at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! I've done Space Mountain (NEVER EVER AGAIN...) and wouldn't dare even think about Everest or Mission Space.

That being said, BTM made me a tiny bit shaky the first time, but I rode it again (peer pressure!) and LOVED IT...now it's my go-to for "thrills". I think I could get over the drop on Splash, but the little one is not interested, and someone has to stay with her. I'm hoping to try that next trip...

And Test track is AWESOME! Just don't try to read while you're on it. It really is fun, not scary at all. Believe it or not, you will find yourself wishing the end was a much longer portion of it!

Last edited by mhnewcomb; 12-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
mhnewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I think Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is the perfect beginner roller coaster. I, too, am a "ride chicken," although I find I like most rides once I'm on them. I get motion sick very easily and have had some bad experiences with motion simulators, so I would advise staying away from those if you get motion sick.

BTMRR jostles you around a bit, but it wasn't nearly enough to make me motion sick. I think the front is better than the back as far as getting jostled around. There are no drops, no going upside down, and it really doesn't travel all that fast. If you find you like that ride, you can then move on to some of the "bigger" rides.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I think Barnstormer/Great Goofini/whatever thry call it now is rougher than BTMRR. I'm a recovering ride chicken too, and I love BtMRR now. I can't handle Tar Tours, I felt bad the rest of the day after I rode that. I rode ToT once, and probably won't need to do it again, but it didn't make me feel sick.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
PlutosUnDr8d
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleclaw View Post
Thanks so much! We have done Norway and will do again. Kali we have done, depends on the weather when we are there. I was JUST reading about the Animation Studio. We have never done it and my daughter is really into drawing so I know she will love it. Splash mountain....one oof my friends just went on it (she gets vertigo at times) and had problems with it...not the drop, she is fine on that part, but she said the rest is like a water roller coaster....thoughts? Thanks again!
My DS, who, at 2.5 years old, had ridden Barnstormer 14 times in one night, had just turned six this year when he decided he was brave enough for Splash Mountain (he was more worried about getting wet at the end). The last time I had been on it, there was no restraints on the ride, so I was relieved to see a lap bar!
IMO, the rest of the ride has small slides, preparing you for the "bigger" drop towards the end. I actually enjoyed it MUCH more with a lap bar!
My DS decided he wanted to go again, and again, so I was able to "get used to it" by the third time.
As a prior MAJOR ride chicken, I thank my DH's "non-pressure" attitude, that there is always a way out (before there isn't!) and that it really IS better to ride it again right away, while the thrill of "I am so proud of myself" is still high! I can't believe how scared I was to go on Splash that first time with my son--I just keep looking at the tiny 40" tall kids saying, "if she can do it, so can I!"
FWIW, I still get car sick in the back seat. And DH CANNOT ride the Tea Cups with DS, so that falls to me, and somehow I don't mind!
Good luck--I agree that BTMRR is a great "starter" coaster.
If you can, ride it at night while the fireworks are going off overhead-- best ride on it EVER!
Enjoy! My policy is, if it's Disney I will ride it at least once!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
MissMouseInTheHouse2
Disney Dreamer

I understand exactly what you mean, I am a huge ride chicken myself! I was too afraid to ride Splash Mountain in MK for several trips, but when I finally rode it, I loved it, and now it is my favorite ride in WDW! Other rides in MK I would recommend are Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Jungle Cruise, and most all of the Fantasyland rides. They are tame, but very fun In Hollywood Studios, Toy Story Mania and the Great Movie Ride are great; and in AK, Primevil Whirl is a fun beginner rollercoaster, but it is a bit jerky. In Epcot, most all of the rides are gentle, I especially enjoyed Spaceship Earth in the 'golf ball'. Test Track is the same as it was before the renovation, just with a new theme; the Maelstrom has a small hill, but is still very fun; the only ride that is jerky and a bit claustrophobic is Mission Space. I hope this helps and have a great trip!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhnewcomb View Post
I am like you--not a fan of heights, and I even get carsick just by not being the driver! I am seriously a person who did NOT enjoy the silly little baby coaster at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! I've done Space Mountain (NEVER EVER AGAIN...) and wouldn't dare even think about Everest or Mission Space.

That being said, BTM made me a tiny bit shaky the first time, but I rode it again (peer pressure!) and LOVED IT...now it's my go-to for "thrills". I think I could get over the drop on Splash, but the little one is not interested, and someone has to stay with her. I'm hoping to try that next trip...

And Test track is AWESOME! Just don't try to read while you're on it. It really is fun, not scary at all. Believe it or not, you will find yourself wishing the end was a much longer portion of it!

I am a big chicken, and my DD talked me into HP little baby coaster ( it did not look bad) well the first turn and I felt the pressure and started to do deep breathing like I was in labor...lol!! After that drop, turn was over the rest was ok but I will never get back on it.My teeth on my left side actually hurt all day.
I also agree with BTM, that is was really fun and also is my THRILL RIDE!

I have not got myself to do TT yet, but may try it, because its not speed that bothers me but pressure drops I do not like, at all.
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Harambe
I better watch what I say, I CAN be a little silly!
Got a "Tag Fairy" assist for Donald Applecore's tag
Famous for my Chicken soup

I am the chicken in my family. Rides I LOVE but still make me nervous when I go on them:

Dinosaur - this is the only WDW ride photo I ever get in! LOL!
Pirates of the Caribbean - just the big dip in the front, but it is water - same as Norway
Kali River Rapids - again, going down in water feels less scary.

While my family goes on Space Mountain, I always go on the Transit ride which I love. It is a nice little ride, never a line, and it goes thru Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear.

And if you want to know about the best "exit" areas of rides, just let me know. Lots of AC'd areas with couches, benches, gift shops, things to look at, etc. I used to stand by the entrance to rides waiting for the family, then I discovered the exits - ahhhhhh . . . .
Harambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

I am not a ride person at all. I have done every ride at WDW but I only do them once so I can say I did it! I don't get too much motion sickness, I'm just a panic person when I'm not in control of what will happen.

My suggestion would be that you take some travel sickness pills (if you can tolerate them) and try a few of the bigger rides. These would be my tips to avoid...

MK - Teacups & Space Mountain, the rest should be OK if you take motion sickness medication.

AK - Expedition Everest and Dinosaur

HS - Rockin Roller Coaster, Star Tours & Tower of Terror

EP - Test Track and Mission Space (either of them!)

The rest of the rides are definitely doable if you can take something to halt motion sickness.

Splash Mountain looks worse than it is to be honest and inside it's really tame and cute. Big Thunder Mountain isn't too bad either. They might be good places to start.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
I am not a ride person at all. I have done every ride at WDW but I only do them once so I can say I did it! I don't get too much motion sickness, I'm just a panic person when I'm not in control of what will happen.

My suggestion would be that you take some travel sickness pills (if you can tolerate them) and try a few of the bigger rides. These would be my tips to avoid...

MK - Teacups & Space Mountain, the rest should be OK if you take motion sickness medication.

AK - Expedition Everest and Dinosaur

HS - Rockin Roller Coaster, Star Tours & Tower of Terror

EP - Test Track and Mission Space (either of them!)

The rest of the rides are definitely doable if you can take something to halt motion sickness.

Splash Mountain looks worse than it is to be honest and inside it's really tame and cute. Big Thunder Mountain isn't too bad either. They might be good places to start.

I agree that motion sickness pills will help - I am prone to it and it definitely helped, especially when I visited US/IoA a couple of years ago. Try Bonine (generic is Meclizine) as it is less prone to make people drowsy and lasts up to 24 hours.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Splash - when you get to the drop, count to 3 and it is over. I was too scared to ride it until my 4-yo was so excited that he was tall enough. Read that tip online and it worked. The rest of it has a couple really small hills, but nothing big until the drop. The story is cute.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: