Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Need your help; chocolate lovers

Ok, help me out here guys. Wondering what is the most eaten type of chocolate in the US? Dark, milk, white, flavoured?

Trying to see if we can pull off a special chocolate thank you, but obviously cant ado upfront without giving some of the surprise away.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
AuroraRosesMom
Yes, they named her after the dawn, for she filled their lives with sunshine.

I do not have any official number to go off of, but my guess would be milk. I, personally, love dark chocolate, but often am told by others that they do not share the love. It seems milk chocolate is most commonly used in a lot of candies sold in stores.

Last edited by AuroraRosesMom; 12-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.
AuroraRosesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I'm a Hershey's milk chocolate girl. I like white chocolate & flavored stuff on holidays but I despise dark chocolate. I just don't understand how anything that bitter and gross can be called chocolate.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Personally, I like dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I do not like white at all. I, too, would venture to say that you would be safest with getting milk chocolate.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I agree that you would probably be safest with milk chocolate.
I personally prefer dark chocolate, but any chocolate is good chocolate!

I do not like white chocolate myself, but it's my mother in law's favorite.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I agree milk is more popular I much prefer dark and now my wife and daughters agree they never even wanted to try dark chocolate but once they tried good dark chocolate now they love it

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

I also would say that milk chocolate is most popular.
I don't know anyone who doesn't like milk, but do know people who don't like dark and white.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Thanks all so far for replies. Seems pretty solid that milk gets the most love. Glad I asked. Sounds like dark gets quite some less love then it does here, so good thing to keep in mind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
but any chocolate is good chocolate!
Let me put it this way; European chocolate. We know how to do chocolate. You guys have some great chocolate candy that I and many friends and family love (and thus get lugged back home, with other candy and groceries, a suitcase or more at a time ), but chocolate is something you were dealt a bad hand on.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Yeah, you guys really know nothing about real chocolate..........Belgian all the way for me. (Prefer milk though, not dark)
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Thanks all so far for replies. Seems pretty solid that milk gets the most love. Glad I asked. Sounds like dark gets quite some less love then it does here, so good thing to keep in mind!!

Let me put it this way; European chocolate. We know how to do chocolate. You guys have some great chocolate candy that I and many friends and family love (and thus get lugged back home, with other candy and groceries, a suitcase or more at a time ), but chocolate is something you were dealt a bad hand on.
I agree that American chocolate is not as good as European (but, quite tasty enough if you NEED chocolate).
We have had European foreign exchange students who each stayed with us for a school year.
Our Belgian foreign exchange daughter was our first and schooled us on European chocolate. She sends us chocolate for gifts and supplied our room with chocolate when we came to visit her in Feb. 2011.
My favorite Côte d'Or Noir de Noir. Luckily, my DH likes milk chocolate, so I only have to share with DDs!

The best hot chocolate I had in my life was in Belgium where they made hot milk and then gave an assortment of chocolate pieces to melt into it / yummy.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Yeah, you guys really know nothing about real chocolate..........Belgian all the way for me. (Prefer milk though, not dark)
Ever tried Callebaut (Belgian brand) dark chocolate? You might want to start with the only 53%, but I have yet to run into anybody that does not end up loving their dark chocolate. Only brand I still use for anything I do with chocolate. Which is a lot, considering I make all of our truffles etc. etc. I used to be a milk girl all the way myself, but not since Callebaut. Only exception that still always must be milk; when I get a fix from a bakery-chocolatier. All of sorts are amazing, incl the flavoured ones but that milk...... sooo smooth and silky. Love it!

Sue; ah yes Côte d'or. Much loved brand. Not my favorite, but definately up there. That hot chocolate you experienced in Belgium is the way hot chocolate should always be imho. If you want to kind of copy but make a quick home option; offer up one of your noir-noir bars. Rasp it all up into a container with about same amount of good quality cocoa powder. Add a little salt (brings out the chocolate flavor more). If desired you can add flavours or spices but not needed. In a good sealing container it keeps good for a very long time and it makes for an amazing yet quick home hot chocolate. If you find yourself hopping down to the World the first 2 weeks of oct '13; feel free to PM and I'll gladly buy off one of our moderators with some noir-noir. Seriously, though.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Ever tried Callebaut (Belgian brand) dark chocolate? You might want to start with the only 53%, but I have yet to run into anybody that does not end up loving their dark chocolate. Only brand I still use for anything I do with chocolate. Which is a lot, considering I make all of our truffles etc. etc. I used to be a milk girl all the way myself, but not since Callebaut. Only exception that still always must be milk; when I get a fix from a bakery-chocolatier. All of sorts are amazing, incl the flavoured ones but that milk...... sooo smooth and silky. Love it!

Sue; ah yes Côte d'or. Much loved brand. Not my favorite, but definately up there. That hot chocolate you experienced in Belgium is the way hot chocolate should always be imho. If you want to kind of copy but make a quick home option; offer up one of your noir-noir bars. Rasp it all up into a container with about same amount of good quality cocoa powder. Add a little salt (brings out the chocolate flavor more). If desired you can add flavours or spices but not needed. In a good sealing container it keeps good for a very long time and it makes for an amazing yet quick home hot chocolate. If you find yourself hopping down to the World the first 2 weeks of oct '13; feel free to PM and I'll gladly buy off one of our moderators with some noir-noir. Seriously, though.
Mmmmm!
Don't know when we will get there in the fall, but I will keep it in mind!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: