Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Apple TV

I believe I've heard some talk on the Podcast in the past about Apple TV and was hoping I could get some feedback/ideas since I received one for Christmas. First, I should say I have a TiVo which we love so I'd be curious if anyone else is using both. Through the TiVo I can receive Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc which I believe the Apple TV can provide(less Pandora, but could pull that through my iPad), but I hear Apple TV may be a little more user friendly and the resolution might be slightly better. What do most of you use the AppleTV for? I'm curious about mirroring with my iPad -does anyone use that? I suppose I'm trying to justify adding another piece of electronics to my life, so any helpful suggestions/tips would be appreciated.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
DEA
DIS Veteran

We use our AppleTV for Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, rental movies from iTunes, and, occasionally, mirroring the stuff from my laptop to the TV. The newer versions of the AppleTV do the 1080p video mode, which is very good. It may be better than what your Tivo is putting out.

It also supports AirPlay mirroring from an iPad, although I seem to collect more content on my laptop than I do on the iPad, but the principle still holds: Stuff on the device can be output through the AppleTV to your TV.

We had Netflix integration with our BluRay player, but the user interface on the AppleTV is a lot better, and a lot easier to use.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Integration with iTunes is the big reason to have Apple TV. YouTube also works ok but I prefer to use my blu ray player for that and NetFlix.

If you are not interested in playing iTunes visual media through your TV at 1080p then Apple TV might be overkill for you. My only issue with Apple TV is the remote works poorly but I probably set up something wrong to cause that.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Mr. Plutes
Mouseketeer

I love my Apple Tv!!! Got it for Christmas last year.
Love it for AirPLay the best. If your a sports person, they have MLB,NHL,NBA
Mr. Plutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
nkereina
Wendy Darling

A friend of mine has an Apple TV. He purchased an external hard drive and burned all of the DVDs he owns onto it, and then runs it through the Apple TV. He keeps the Apple TV plugged into his TV along with the external hard drive, so whenever he wants to watch one of his DVDs, he just has to click on the Apple TV and he can scroll through to view it. This is time consuming, but it's pretty convienet and a good use of it.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb
Integration with iTunes is the big reason to have Apple TV. YouTube also works ok but I prefer to use my blu ray player for that and NetFlix.

If you are not interested in playing iTunes visual media through your TV at 1080p then Apple TV might be overkill for you. My only issue with Apple TV is the remote works poorly but I probably set up something wrong to cause that.
If you are playing iTunes media I found an app called remote works awesome. Basically turns your iPad or iPhone into your remote.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
quikah
Mouseketeer

Do you have a TiVo premiere or a series 3?

If you have a TiVo premiere I would sell it and buy a TiVo stream, this will allow you to watch your recorded shows on your TiVo on your iPad. The streaming capabilities are pretty much the same on both unless you plan on playing stuff from itunes or mirroring.

If you have a series 3 DEFINITELY keep it, the AppleTV is much better.
quikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
jcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O

If you are playing iTunes media I found an app called remote works awesome. Basically turns your iPad or iPhone into your remote.
Thanks. I had forgotten I had that App.

One of the other features I really like is the screen saver of my photographs, in "Ken Burns" mode.

Jack
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I love my AppleTV especially the ease you can intergrate apple products into it.

That being said, I love my Roku for the same reasons.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O

I can't get remote to work! It tells me the "device is unregistered."
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I love VLC Streamer. It allows me to play videos from my PC through my iPad to the Apple TV to my TV. It plays video types (such as .flv and .avi) that won't play on iTunes. It's so nice to sit on my couch & watch the videos on my TV rather than sitting in front of the PC.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
jcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmrsellis View Post
I can't get remote to work! It tells me the "device is unregistered."
There are a couple of solutions to what appears to be this problem mentioned here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
A friend of mine has an Apple TV. He purchased an external hard drive and burned all of the DVDs he owns onto it, and then runs it through the Apple TV. He keeps the Apple TV plugged into his TV along with the external hard drive, so whenever he wants to watch one of his DVDs, he just has to click on the Apple TV and he can scroll through to view it. This is time consuming, but it's pretty convienet and a good use of it.
What did he use to convert them? We tried doing that but half of the files freeze up
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

What type of device is it?(seagate satellite?)
If so, he used DVD shrink, then Hand brake to reformate the DVD's.
Both are free down loads....I have my complete DVD catalog on a wireless Seagate satellite hard drive, that up to three people can log on to and watch a different movie.
Great thing for traveling
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...ate-satellite/

Here is the link

Robin & Angel "D".
Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]
NOV '14 SSR/ DW 1st visit [heading to Podcast 5.0]
DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder home WC / Magic on Pod Cast 5.0 NOV 30th ~Dec7th '14/ EBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Thanks for the responses. I have the AppleTV set up and we're enjoying it. The Netflix and YouTube apps operate much smoother on the Apple than the TiVo and I'd say the picture quality is slightly better as well. I've played around with the mirroring a little and would like to find more uses for that. We watched a few of our trip videos taken from our iPhones on the TV through AppleTV -I've got say that the video quality taken from that phone is AMAZING.... We were totally shocked, they looked good on the iPad but on the TV was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikah
Do you have a TiVo premiere or a series 3?

If you have a TiVo premiere I would sell it and buy a TiVo stream, this will allow you to watch your recorded shows on your TiVo on your iPad. The streaming capabilities are pretty much the same on both unless you plan on playing stuff from itunes or mirroring.

If you have a series 3 DEFINITELY keep it, the AppleTV is much better.
I do have a premiere and thought about how great that would be to dump some shows on the iPad for when we travel, but I'm going to hold off for now rather than add another device to what I already rely on. Maybe I'll wait and see if Apple ends up buying TiVo at some point.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: