Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Atchley
"Bedsheets? Who invited that kid?"

If anyone is going to spend a few thousand dollars on a vacation, I recommend that they do some research first. Any vacation-not just a Disney vacation.
You need to know what to expect, prices of items, various times such as opening and closing times, fees, dining options, etc;.
You wouldn't just go to a foreign country without doing a bit of research. You can't just show up.
I try to give advice to help people as much as I can but I don't try to over do it.
My advice is:
1. I suggest to stay on property if you can. (I realize some can't or won't)
2. If you would like your meals paid for in advance, one of the DDP is an easy way to go. (I realize not everyone prefers the dining plans)
3. If you plan on a sit down dinner, make ADRs for them. (This is probably the tip I emphasize the most)
4. Be there at rope drop. (Not everyone are early risers, but I usually schedule a couple of days off on our trips)
I don't push these things on anyone, I merely suggest them. I always offer additional help if they ask and I can plan things right down to the bathroom breaks for them if they like, but most people just listen to what I say and take it for what it's worth. If they take the advice, great, if not, it is their choice. I have had some that have come back and thanked me and others that swear they'll never do Disney again. I can usually tell who will do what before they even leave on their trip.
Everyone is different but before our first trip, I accepted advice on Disney which helped us out immensely. I am still grateful to them 7 trips later.

May 28/May 31 2015-CBR May 31/June 6-AKV May 30/31 2013-ASMo May31/June 8 2013-AKVJune 6/9 2012-CBRJune 9/16 2012-VWL
Sept 4/11 2010-BLTSept 3/8 2009-PORJuly 17/25 2009-WLJuly 19/26 2008-WL July 15/22 2006-CBR July 20/26 2003-ASMo
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #17
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchley View Post
If anyone is going to spend a few thousand dollars on a vacation, I recommend that they do some research first. Any vacation-not just a Disney vacation.
You need to know what to expect, prices of items, various times such as opening and closing times, fees, dining options, etc;.
You wouldn't just go to a foreign country without doing a bit of research. You can't just show up.
I try to give advice to help people as much as I can but I don't try to over do it.
My advice is:
1. I suggest to stay on property if you can. (I realize some can't or won't)
2. If you would like your meals paid for in advance, one of the DDP is an easy way to go. (I realize not everyone prefers the dining plans)
3. If you plan on a sit down dinner, make ADRs for them. (This is probably the tip I emphasize the most)
4. Be there at rope drop. (Not everyone are early risers, but I usually schedule a couple of days off on our trips)
I don't push these things on anyone, I merely suggest them. I always offer additional help if they ask and I can plan things right down to the bathroom breaks for them if they like, but most people just listen to what I say and take it for what it's worth. If they take the advice, great, if not, it is their choice. I have had some that have come back and thanked me and others that swear they'll never do Disney again. I can usually tell who will do what before they even leave on their trip.
Everyone is different but before our first trip, I accepted advice on Disney which helped us out immensely. I am still grateful to them 7 trips later.
I also accept advice on Disney and I have been going since it opened, but ONLY if I ask for the advice. I can understand letting people know that during the Holidays it may be best to get to the parks early, but to tell them, without them even asking, what time to leave the parks, when to eat lunch, and what attractions they should do first since their kids are girls, is a little much.
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
scoutie
DIS Veteran

I'm a newbie to Disney (have only gone as a kid and then to Epcot in college). I appreciate the advice the OP has given. I am a person that does a ton of research, but I appreciate the advice given to me by others who have gone. I will definitely use some (get there early, stay on-site, use the Fast Pass), and disregard other advice that won't work with my family. I don't think the OP was being condescending--she was just sharing what has worked for her. I didn't take her advice as forcing it on people. People are free to do what they want. If they don't want to leave at noon--they won't just because their neighbor told them to!
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
WDW a few weeks ago is not the same as WDW during the week of Christmas/New Year's, though. I do think telling someone going for the first time during that period to simply get to the park early is invaluable. It certainly doesn't rise to the level of believing they can't possibly have a nice trip without researching for months and months.
LOL, I think I said a couple weeks ago, but actually they went Thanksgiving week.

I couldn't believe they chose that week but it fit in everyone's schedule and I didn't say a word.

I was expecting to hear a horror story from them about crowds and lines but I did not hear one negative comment.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Belle83;47024943]WDW a few weeks ago is not the same as WDW during the week of Christmas/New Year's, though. I do think telling someone going for the first time during that period to simply get to the park early is invaluable. It certainly doesn't rise to the level of believing they can't possibly have a nice trip without researching for months and months.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, They can have a great time, but you have to wonder just what they may have missed and non realized it!

I still bleive any vacation warrents the time to learn what is there and what to expect, especailly WDW.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Given that those neighbors are either at Disney now or will be shortly ... and the crowd calendar is showing either 9 or 10 most days..

If you haven't been to a park on Christmas Day or New Years Eve/Day ... it is a very unique experience. The crowds are outstanding.. out-standing in lines for EVERYTHING. And those lines are nuts. There is a line 10 to 40 deep for EVERYTHING. A snack cart on Main Street with a line halfway back to the entrance. Not kidding.'

In those circumstances .. where just getting a counter service meal is an adventure and a half .. that's when I leave and go back to the hotel and chill for a few hours and return for early evening.

This time of year? That's not horrible advice.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: