Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
phins_jazy
You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun. Don't worry about it.

This is our second time to be here for Christmas week and new years. I love the decorations the atmosphere Heck even the crowds are ok...what I can't stand is the rudeness of other people. I have never seen it so bad! People cutting in front of our stroller or dad's scooter and then getting mad at us for hitting them! Hello!!! You cut in front of me!! So therefore I hope your ankle hurts! It's been absolutely horrible with rude people.

phins_jazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

Go with a Plan

We went similar dates in 2011 and I'm happy to share what works: Starting Dec. 22-23, the crowds will begin massing, so concentrate on doing the parks heavy 19th-22nd. Get ADRs to the Terrace Dessert Party as the way to enjoy the MK fireworks and evening parade but not on a night you'd have to pay extra for MVMCP. Don't even think you can walk into any TS without an ADR and all CS will be busy. If you absolutely want to see Fantasmic and/or the CP in EPCOT, get the dining package with guaranteed seating. After the 22nd, consider spending morning and afternoon time at the resort and head out to an early evening ADR at a deluxe resort, then head to the park with evening magic hours and stay until close. It is so nice to relax a bit around the pool rather than fight the crowds every day! Finally, extend your ADR reach to the deluxe resorts. Seeing Wilderness & AKL Lodges and Grand Floridian in full holiday decor was awesomeand we were able to meander around and enjoy all the music (carollers at WL), watch the animals being fed at AKL, and the gingerbread house and orchestra at the GF!!!! You can manage Christmas at WDW, but your plan needs to be tighter than an off-season trip. That said, we will never go after December 15th again--it was just too crowded and our enjoyment level the last couple days was diminshed. We find early December to be our fave holiday time now
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I've been here since the 22nd and wouldn't come again at this time even if someone gave me a free vacation.
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
kydisneymom
Mouseketeer

I have to say that my husband is amazing and he is just as addicted to Disney as I am We have been 5 years in a row so we are familiar with the "lay of the land" so to speak. We are also the crazy planners who aren't afraid to get there at rope drop and have our strategic ADRs planned. So, I am thankful for the advice, I just wanted to know realistically what I should be expecting.

This hopefully will be the vacation of a lifetime and different from the fall trips we have taken in the past. We'll be at Disney...it's all good!
kydisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

You'll love it! Remember, attitude is everything Yes, it is crowded but you are at the most magical place on Earth with your family. Soak in the sights and sounds, enjoy your vacation, and most of all....relax. Go early and after lunch when things get nuts, enjoy your hotel and rest up, then head back at night when everything is illuminated. Have fun!

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I think your ability to enjoy the trip depends a lot on the type of person you are. Some thrive on the energy of big crowds. Some are bothered by big crowds, and it causes them great anxiety.

I suggest thinking long and hard about which type you are. If you are the second type, just go a couple weeks before Christmas. You'll have a great time with lower crowds and still get to enjoy that awesome Christmas atmosphere (along with MVMCP).
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Disneyof3
Mother of my 3 angels, heaven blessed me!!!!!
So it was me who had to take the plunge

We have a surprise trip for our kids booked for Dec 18-22 2013. We are buying MVMCP tickets to make sure we get all of MK done and out of the way before the 21st. We are doing only DHS on the Saturday and then ending with AK on the 22nd because the other parks are going to be crazy by then. We plan on opening all parks except AK and using FP as much as possible. The kids or us have never been to WDW at x-mas and can't wait. I know it will be busy but I think going a few days before x-mas would be nothing compared to during x-mas and after!!! Have fun planning, I'am already
WDW12/13
Disneyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
joanchris
DIS Veteran

We just got back from Dec 24-Jan 1 at the parks. Yes, it was crowded. But we got there most days at (ok, just after) rope drop (getting there at rope drop would have been better), and got tons done in the first few hours at every park. Yes, it was crowded by noon, some days it was massively crowded. We went back one evening to MK, after a very crowded day there, and the crowds had thinned to more tolerable levels, but half my family are not night people, so we planned our mornings and left when we were done for the day.
If you go with proper expectations, knowing there will be crowds, I think it'll be fine. Plan, have ADRs for any table service you may want to eat at, do "sightseeing" in the middle of the day. If you're there on New Year's eve, don't plan on doing any rides that day! It was clearly the busiest day of our trip.
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: