Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #61
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to those who have quit or are trying to quit. I have never smoked but my mother did. I saw her try to quit and know it was hard. She smoked from the time she was 13. She quit at one point for 3 years and then started back because my aunt had one and it "looked so good". My mother died at the age of 55 from congested heart failure. Please don't encourage those who are tyring to quit to sit in the smoking areas with their ecigs. My children (ages 5 and 8) never got a chance to know their grandmother.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #62
justskip70003
why do i cry everytime i see wishes?

Smoke em if u got em!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #63
jazzielady
DIS Veteran

I have 2 different kinds of ecigs. Just got them about a month ago. I specifically got one with the blue LED tip, just so there's no way is could ever look like a cig. I haven't tried it out yet in a place where smoking is prohibited, but I already have informational cards made up about them - what they are, what they aren't, that the "smoke" is just vapor, and so on. Also, if you don't exhale right away, there is no vapor emitted.

I will say that for anyone with money to invest, this would be a great business to get into.
jazzielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #64
kulisa
Earning My Ears

smoking in Theme Parks

Hi all

I see this is a thread from 2009 and I was wondering if, as of end 2012, there are still smoking areas in the Theme Parks and in the Resorts ( WDW Art of Animation particularly) or where those areas drastically reduced or completely eliminated by now?

Also how about e-cigarettes - can they be smoked "anywhere" or just in those designated areas?

Thank you!
kulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #65
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubato View Post
I'm married to a smoker. The last 2 times we went, I used the map and had a little card I laminated for each park with the locations of the smoking areas. It helped a lot. And, he could go smoke while my son and I found the restrooms. We didn't waste time looking for the designated areas, but, of course, I felt we wasted the 5 minutes while he smoked! But, that's a different story!
LOL I completely agree. We are going to use that time to use the Disney apps to determine what FP times are available, what has a short standby,etc, PRECISELY so that I don't feel like I'm wasting precious Disney time in the smoking section. At least we won't have to try to organize our next move in a busy thoroughfare.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #66
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes there are still designated smoking areas at all parks and resorts.

There is no specific regulation of e-cigarettes that discharge water vapor but earlier posts on this thread suggests that in order to avoid the hassle that occurs when guests or CMs think the e-cigarette smoker is actually using a regular cigarette outside of a smoking area, they may want to stick to the smoking areas as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #67
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckml View Post
Any recommendations on a brand of e-cig? I've been looking into them but have no idea if any are better tasting or more effective? would love some info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
I REALLY like the Janty Dura-C. It looks nothing like a cigarette (more like an ink pen). They have a long life, many ways to recharge, and their flavors are among the best.
Bayou, I'm with you. I use a Var Volt gripper with Vivi Nova tank (see pic below). A lot of people aren't aware there is a whole other world out there of electronic cigarettes that work much better than the ones you buy over the counter at Walgreens. Not only do they feel like you're smoking, the juice comes in hundreds of flavors which makes it palatable. I'm going to WDW in 5 days and the one thing I'm worried about is someone is going to see my rig and think I'm getting high? It looks like drug paraphernalia.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Last edited by Bullseye; 12-29-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #68
Goofy_Disney_Dad
Mouseketeer

I used my Ego-T system there last year and had a few people question me as to whether I was using a vaporizer

One couple walked up to me and said "man, I can't believe you're doing that out in the open like that!" I just explained that it wasn't a vaporizer but an electronic cig.

I used in around smoking areas as my mother in law was with us and she still smokes, but I also used it while walking in other areas and had no issues at all.
Goofy_Disney_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #69
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltex

I realize that it is not the topic at hand, but I honestly care for people and try to encourage them to quit when appropriate.

Nothing sadder than seeing a total laryngectomy patient in front of hospital in a robe, IV pole and oxygen canula smoking through a stoma. I often wonder if he/she would like a "do-over".

To all those who have told stories of quitting or being on the road to quitting. Congrats on your accomplishment! After 30 days you substantially lowered your risk of heart attack, stroke, COPD and cancer.
Well said..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #70
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2PrincessK View Post
My parents are planning their first trip in April (with us). We are not smokers so we never paid attention to smoking areas.

They smoke quite a bit and I am concerned that a large portion of time is going to be spent hunting down smoking areas.

How many areas are there in each park? Is there a map of them available? We are staying at PORS - where is the smoking area at the hotel?

Any comments from smokers (or non-smokers that have travelled with smokers) on how they coped?
There are designated spots, one I remember specifically was over by Big Thunder. But there are those people who will smoke anywhere, and I witnessed a cast member telling people to put out the cigarette.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #71
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCortWort View Post
There are designated spots, one I remember specifically was over by Big Thunder. But there are those people who will smoke anywhere, and I witnessed a cast member telling people to put out the cigarette.
I was going to point the PP to this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1482684 (well I guess I did) but realized that this thread is a zombie thread and is 3 years old. Also their trip was 2 and half years ago.

Warning Zombie thread

Last edited by chartle; 12-29-2012 at 05:51 PM.
chartle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #72
kulisa
Earning My Ears

Thank you all

for the up to date info.

Thanks again!
kulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #73
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltex View Post
CAREFUL I AM APPROACHING MY SOAP BOX

As a health care professional smoking is a topic very near to me and my practice. Every day I treat smokers who have had heart attacks, cancer, COPD, and strokes directly related to smoking.

If you smoke, please consider quitting. You will never do a more healthy thing for you or your family.

It is very sad to see the destruction of families caused by smoking like I see every day.

Some random smoking facts:

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.

Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years.

The number of people under the age of 70 who die from smoking-related diseases exceeds the total figure for deaths caused by breast cancer, AIDS, traffic accidents and drug addiction.

Children who grow up in a home where one or both of their parents smoke have twice the risk of getting asthma and asthmatic bronchitis. They also have a higher risk of developing allergies.

Infants under two years old are more prone to severe respiratory infections and cot death.

Ninety percent of lung cancer cases are due to smoking.
If no-one smoked, lung cancer would be a rare diagnosis - only 0.5 per cent of people who've never touched a cigarette develop lung cancer.
I am a non-smoker and both of my parents smoked and eventually passed away from cancer (as did several aunts and uncles). But, while I believe and agree with your post, I don't feel it was the proper time and place to post it.
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #74
fan1080
When you wish upon a star......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney/Universal Fan View Post
I am a non-smoker and both of my parents smoked and eventually passed away from cancer (as did several aunts and uncles). But, while I believe and agree with your post, I don't feel it was the proper time and place to post it.
FYI.......

You do realize that was posted over 3 years ago, right?

And, for information for everyone, Disney does have an official policy on e-cigs. If you contact guest services through email they will be happy to forward it to you.
Mar 1978 - Off Site (Grade 7, with my family), Sept 1989 - Off Site (Honeymoon), Feb 2006 - All Star Movies (First time to Disney for our 3 daughters), July 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2008 - Pop Century, Mar 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2010 Holiday Inn Express and Suites Universal
fan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #75
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulisa View Post
for the up to date info.

Thanks again!
To help with your questions in the future, it might be better to start a new thread instead of attaching a question onto a very old thread. People read from the beginning and end up responding to the earlier posts not yours.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: