Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #91
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Agreed that the Tomorrowland side of Matterhorn is a tiny bit smoother. When I went, I went 4 times in a row because there were no lines and rode each side 2 times.

I went on all the Fantasyland rides (Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, SWSA etc) when I was 6, and that pretty much explains why there was NO pressure at all on DD4 when we were there to go on those rides. DH. went on Pinocchio and SWSA and said he knows she would have hated it.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #92
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad to hear that you go so much done in the morning. I just made 10:20 reservations at Minnie & Friends and was worried about how much we'd be able to get done before heading there. I'm hoping that day will be an 8am opening, but it hasn't been posted yet. My orig res was for 10:45, but the characters leave at 11:30, so I pushed it up b/c I was worried about missing some at the later time. Hopefully we can be productive that morning. Hate to waste morning hours!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #93
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
I love your TR!! I want to see your Minnie ears. I made the bow on mine too. Can't wait for your next chapter.
Haha thanks! They were Minnie ears, but rather a Minnie-themed bow/headband. If you look in photos in my update, you can see that I'm wearing it. It's pretty low-key but perfect and I adore it! I actually made a bunch for different characters. Planning on wearing them in Disney World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
You are an updating machine! Perfect for me, I like to just keep reading and reading! So will this new change about AP discounts effect (affect? sheesh.) you in 2013? I was thinking that the premium "golden ticket" would still get you your 20%, but I wasn't sure? I cannot believe how much you got done in and hour and 15 minutes! I was even perplexed when you ordered breakfast food after all that...I though it surely would have been lunchtime!!!
Oh I know! Or well, I'm trying to get updates out faster, mainly because I REALLY would love to have this TR done before our Disney World trip... or at least mostly done. I think it's wishful thinking unfortunately, but we'll see. Otherwise I'm going to be overwhelmed with writing TR updates when I get back!

Ugh, that new AP change is SUPER lame and I think it will affect us in WDW, but not in Disneyland. Looks like DL is keeping the 20% discount, so at least we have that.

Haha, I know! Let's see, listed out, we did:
  • Got in line and got our wristbands for the Candy Canes, 1st batch
  • Got Space Mountain FPs
  • Matt rode Matterhorn
  • I then rode Matterhorn
  • Rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Rode Snow White's Scary Adventure
  • Rode Pinocchio
  • Rode Big Thunder Mountain
  • Aaand ate pancakes/breakfast

We were on a mission to get stuff DONE! Hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
It still cracks me up that people get so serious over candy canes over there! I bet they were so good though!

The Matterhorn! Oh man, how I wish I could ride this! It looks like SO much fun! It's such a classic, ahhhhh. I need to go to Disneyland, it's really not funny anymore.

You're so right, a lot of the classic Walt Disney films are pretty freakishly scary. I mean, the evil hag in Snow White alone gave me a nightmare once. You know the part where Snow White is like tending to her newly baked pie and suddenly she just APPEARS in the window? Scary stuff. And the whole Pinocchio Please Island turning bad little boys into donkeys thing? EEK!!! Haahah, I will never understand that, but still love it.

Hope you got a chance to ride Alice! Your pancakes look YUMMY!
Hahaha, it cracked me up, too! I was laughing so hard at the women running down Main Street. That being said, they were amazingly good.

Matterhorn is one of those rides you just have to go on because of the history, like you said. It's not the best ride you'll ever go on but with all of the history around it and just seeing how things have progressed since then, it's a must-do. So that being said, you should start planning a DL trip... NOW, hahaha.

I'm so with you on the films! They were really traumatizing! The Evil Queen is just scary in general, and Pinocchio was pretty awful with the Donkey thing... I just don't get it!

We'll see about Alice... and those pancakes were delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Your tr is making me desperately homesick to go back to DL...

So you got golden tickets for the infamous DL candycanes huh... I assume you will be showing photos later along...lol...? (I actually saw a Christmas at Disneyland Food Special Guy Fieri (he of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives) did and he showed them making those candy canes... people really do go wild for them ... so I'm curious to hear your review...

I happen to fall into the camp that likes the Matterhorn... probs more for the Dis history of it as much as the ride... how cool would it have been to see Alpine Climbers scaling that thing?

Love me some BTMRR... It was down in Florida when we went- we were there at the beginning of the month... (OMG... it feels like forever...)

Wow IASW... fabulous... really lovely...
Aww, I am excited to go back next year!! It was so much fun visiting.

Haha, yes, photos are being saved for later, I promise! And I'll talk about if they were worth the money, too. Haha, I'd heard about the Guy Fieri's special! I think I need to watch this!

I agree with Matterhorn. It's really awesome to see. It's something I'll be sure to ride every trip we go, just because. I would have loved to see the climbers, that would have been so neat!

Ohhh I am VERY excited to ride BTMRR in a few weeks in Disney World and to see the refurb! I especially love riding it at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hahaha the candy cane situation sounds INTENSE there!! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of that experience!

Awwwwwww Mr. Toad!!! I miss that ride SO much!!! (I know it's entirely random, but was the fortune teller there Madame Sara like it was in WDW? I would always like to point out that her name was spelled the same as mine! (Sans an h) )
It WAS intense! I was kind of shocked about the people seriously running for them.

Mr. Toad was great! It made me kind of sad it's gone in WDW but I also now can cherish it every time we go to DL. I can't remember if the fortune teller was there or not! Next time we go I am totally going to look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
Agreed that the Tomorrowland side of Matterhorn is a tiny bit smoother. When I went, I went 4 times in a row because there were no lines and rode each side 2 times.

I went on all the Fantasyland rides (Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, SWSA etc) when I was 6, and that pretty much explains why there was NO pressure at all on DD4 when we were there to go on those rides. DH. went on Pinocchio and SWSA and said he knows she would have hated it.
Okay, so I am remembering correctly then! Matt didn't complain about the side he went on at all, but someone later on in my TR was telling us that Tomorrowland was smoother. It was a lot of fun! I think next time I'll try to do the same and ride both sides if there aren't any lines.

Haha I'm glad there's no pressure on your DD4 because some of that stuff is pretty scary for little kids! I know I would've been traumatized as a kid if I'd seen some of that stuff. I was a pretty big wuss though in general when I was little; I was TERRIFIED of the Haunted Mansion when I went on it as a 6 year old. The only part I opened my eyes for were the Hitchhiking Ghosts sitting in our Doom Buggy after my Dad told me to open them
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #94
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
I'm so glad to hear that you go so much done in the morning. I just made 10:20 reservations at Minnie & Friends and was worried about how much we'd be able to get done before heading there. I'm hoping that day will be an 8am opening, but it hasn't been posted yet. My orig res was for 10:45, but the characters leave at 11:30, so I pushed it up b/c I was worried about missing some at the later time. Hopefully we can be productive that morning. Hate to waste morning hours!
Oh man, we seriously got a TON done that morning! You will be totally fine if you are at the main gates for opening! I think you'll be able to get a lot done like we did... and I mean, that was with us standing in line for the Candy Canes for a good amount of time. You're especially fine if it's a weekday. Even if it's a weekend day, you should still be totally okay! I'll get into the crowds later for our Saturday in the parks..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #95
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
Oh man, we seriously got a TON done that morning! You will be totally fine if you are at the main gates for opening! I think you'll be able to get a lot done like we did... and I mean, that was with us standing in line for the Candy Canes for a good amount of time. You're especially fine if it's a weekday. Even if it's a weekend day, you should still be totally okay! I'll get into the crowds later for our Saturday in the parks..
It will be a Friday. The one preceding President's Day. Not sure how that will affect crowds, but I decided that if we're missing park time to have a character meal, doing it on the most crowded day of the trip probably made the most sense. I'm probably over-thinking. I *think* it will be an 8am opening looking at past years park hours, but it may be 9.

We watched the Guy special too. The candy cane part was my favorite. I'd never actually seen candy cane made before. Really neat. It looked like they were pulling taffy.

And I'm worried about my 5 (gonna be 6 on the trip) yr old with the dark rides. She did OK in WDW in 2011, but in some ways I find she's more scared now. The 2 year old is pretty fearless in general, but I have no idea how he'll react. Fingers crossed.

Really enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #96
GatorMommy2007
Mouseketeer

I watched the Guy Fieri special, too, and I'm envious of those fantastic looking candy canes!! I'm also surprised at how much you accomplished in such a short time!

At WDW I usually rotate between Crocs flip flops and tennis shoes, but then I usually ditch the tennis shoes for the crocs. Last March was the first time that I had Disney blisters and I thought I was going to die! I'm on the hunt for more comfy shoes for our next trip which is coming up in March!

GatorMommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #97
cristyhas3
Mouseketeer

Oh!! Now I see it!! I was on my phone and the pics were tiny. Your headband is adorable! Would you mind if I borrowed your idea to make headbands for my DDs?
Nora, 3

Heading to the Happiest Place on Earth in March!

My Blog: www.sewmuchlikemom.com
cristyhas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #98
NatalieCA
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the awesome trip report! We were there at the exact same time, but, unfortunately, I came down with a HORRIBLE stomach flu/virus type thing and could not go to the parks any of the three days we were there!

I am enjoying living through you!
NatalieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #99
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
It will be a Friday. The one preceding President's Day. Not sure how that will affect crowds, but I decided that if we're missing park time to have a character meal, doing it on the most crowded day of the trip probably made the most sense. I'm probably over-thinking. I *think* it will be an 8am opening looking at past years park hours, but it may be 9.

We watched the Guy special too. The candy cane part was my favorite. I'd never actually seen candy cane made before. Really neat. It looked like they were pulling taffy.

And I'm worried about my 5 (gonna be 6 on the trip) yr old with the dark rides. She did OK in WDW in 2011, but in some ways I find she's more scared now. The 2 year old is pretty fearless in general, but I have no idea how he'll react. Fingers crossed.

Really enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing!
Hmm, I still think you'll be totally fine as long as you're there at opening, I really do. Our weekend was definitely a busy one, and we still managed to get all of that done!

Yes, it's super neat! I have a couple of photos coming up in an update of them making the candy canes!

That's tough with your kids! I think if they did okay before, they'll be okay now. But again, when I say I was terrified of them, I was also a total wuss when I was a little kid honestly.

Glad you're enjoying it! Starting to try to get out more updates before we leave for our Disney World trip here in a few weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMommy2007 View Post
I watched the Guy Fieri special, too, and I'm envious of those fantastic looking candy canes!! I'm also surprised at how much you accomplished in such a short time!

At WDW I usually rotate between Crocs flip flops and tennis shoes, but then I usually ditch the tennis shoes for the crocs. Last March was the first time that I had Disney blisters and I thought I was going to die! I'm on the hunt for more comfy shoes for our next trip which is coming up in March!
I neeeed to watch this special evidently! Everyone has seen it but me! Hahaha... and yeah, I couldn't believe how much we'd gotten accomplished!

I went with ordering Crocs and I hope they work out well! I normally am noooot into Crocs whatsoever but I wanted to have something else to wear while in Disney World to alternate with my New Balance sneakers. Hopefully it all works out well, though I'm also going into the trip armed with moleskin, Johnson's Foot Soap, bandaids, extra pairs of socks, and everything you could think of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
Oh!! Now I see it!! I was on my phone and the pics were tiny. Your headband is adorable! Would you mind if I borrowed your idea to make headbands for my DDs?
Haha no worries, it was a pretty low-key headband because that's more of what I was looking for! You can absolutely use that idea and make headbands for your DD! They're super easy to make, though a few of mine fell apart, but we'll get to that later... Mostly due to getting soaking wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieCA View Post
Thanks for the awesome trip report! We were there at the exact same time, but, unfortunately, I came down with a HORRIBLE stomach flu/virus type thing and could not go to the parks any of the three days we were there!

I am enjoying living through you!
Okay, this just made me so sad for you! I don't know what I'd do if I got sick and missed out on the parks during our trip. I am SO sorry that happened to you! I hope you can plan another trip and go back soon!!

Thanks for reading along though.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #100
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Hey guys! Just a quick little note here... I am trying my best to get as much of this TR finished before we leave for Disney World in um, 16 days. (16 days?! )

That being said, I am pretty sure I won't get it completely done before then, soooo you'll have to deal with a bit of a hiatus while I'm visiting my home away from home for 10 days.

Hopefully I can get a few more updates done over the next week or so, though with all of the planning/packing/making sure we have EVERYTHING ready that we need, plus ya know, work, I'm pretty sure my time is going to be consumed by all of that.

Anyway, glad you're all reading, and I promise that this TR will be completed, it just might take a little longer than I'd hoped.

Chapter Eleven: Pewpewpewwwww… ZERO POINTS? REALLY?
Day Two: November 30th, 2012

I left off with us accomplishing a TON in an hour and fifteen minutes. To recap, we:

---Got in line and got our wristbands for the Candy Canes, 1st batch
---Got Space Mountain FPs
---Matt rode Matterhorn
---I then rode Matterhorn
---Rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
---Rode Snow White's Scary Adventure
---Rode Pinocchio
---Rode Big Thunder Mountain
---Aaand ate pancakes/breakfast

So! After eating our pancakes, we headed back outside, and decided to explore New Orleans Square a little more since Matt needed to finish drinking his coffee.

I just seriously love that area of the park. Definitely my favorite “land” in Disneyland, and it’s up there for my all-time favorite. I’d probably tie it for first with Frontierland in Disney World.

We walked around a bit and decided to go find the elusive Club 33. I know, it’s super cool if you eat here and all that jazz, and if ever given the opportunity, I would eat there, buuut… I don’t know, I get the appeal, just not sure it’s worth all of the hype!

Maybe it is, but it definitely is a hidden little spot in the corner of New Orleans Square!

While we walked around, I discovered another popcorn-turning puppet… This time it was Oogie Boogie! I wanted to steal him and take him home so he’d make popcorn for me whenever I wanted him to.

After we explored for a bit and Matt had finished his coffee, we headed back towards Tomorrowland because I was REALLY feeling the itch to do a little Space Ranger pewpewing.

As we walked over, I had to take a photo of the one thing we were both really bummed out about being closed… INDIANA JONES! Wompwomp.

Of course it re-opened the week after we left. We were bummed out but realized we’ll be back in Disneyland again within the year, so we’d just ride it then!

We finally made it back to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin and I was super excited to ride this!

Again, not much of wait at all, so before we knew it we were in our little spaceship. The guns here you can completely remove from the holder and shoot anywhere you want. I also liked that they lit up/vibrated whenever you hit a target!

Except I had an epic fail for the first 1/3 of the ride as I was sitting there holding my trigger down, thinking I was racking up this CRAZY high score, and I look down quickly and see my score is a big fat ZERO.

I had no idea that on this one you have to continuously click the trigger vs. just hold it down like you can in Disney World. UGH! I was so far behind Matt, I knew I had no way of winning.

I really enjoyed this version of the ride, and I’m still not sure which one I like better. While I enjoyed being able to remove the guns and have more free reign, I felt like sometimes I was so focused on shooting I’d forget to spin our little spaceship, haha.

I basically love both versions though because it’s just fun and I’m a competitive person. Matt is not competitive at all, but he’s a good sport in riding with me whenever I ask to go on.

After we got off and Matt destroyed me, we decided to use our Space Mountain Fast Passes!

I was really excited to check out Space Mountain in Disneyland because I’d heard it was actually a bit different than Disney World. Some even said they thought it was better! So I was most definitely looking forward to seeing for myself.

As we walked up, the wait was still a quick 10 minutes, so we decided to hold onto our FPs for later and just do the standby entrance.

It was weird to be walking through a queue that was actually outside before you went inside as you got close to the loading area. I have to say, though, that the inside part of the queue was SUPER neat.

There were space ships hanging around and you looked down on the loading area as you waited in line, so it was kind of neat to be able to see people blasting off. There was also really awesome space music, so I thought the loading area part of the queue was pretty fantastic.

As you can see, the seating on Space Mountain in Disneyland is not in tandem like Disney World, and you sit next to the person you’re with. Basically, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain are the opposite of each other in the both of the parks!

I was actually excited to sit next to Matt while we rode! Also, the seats were much more like BTMRR’s.. so you're not sitting basically so that your legs are sprawled out in front of you like in Disney World, like on the bottom of the spaceship...

Before we knew it, we were blasting off into Space Mountain!

I was seriously surprised at how SMOOTH the track was! I was totally prepared for the insane whips around the corners that always make me scream in sheer terror every time I’ve been on Space Mountain in Disney World, but instead I was pleasantly surprised by a much smoother ride.

The other interesting thing I noticed was how much more I could see inside Space Mountain this ride! The “stars”/galaxy were much much brighter than in WDW, but I still couldn’t see much in front of us.

Obviously very similar theming, but the music on the ride was also different.

We had a blast on this, but I have to say, I missed the whole part when you get off and you stand on the moving floor and look at the little space dioramas/make ridiculous faces as you pass the monitors in Disney World! Here, you just ran up a flight of stairs and down a hall.

It’s really hard for me to compare the two Space Mountains to each other because while they’re both rollercoasters with the same name, they’re also very different from each other.

I loved how smooth the track was in Disneyland’s version, but as Matt put it, there is something oddly endearing about Disney World’s bumpy/jerky version.

I would most definitely say that Disney World’s version is by far and away a lot more terrifying/scary/brings out my “I’m being murdered” scream.

I basically love both for their own reasons, and was very excited that we would be riding Space Mountain again later on!

Oh, and yes, as you’ve probably guessed, Disneyland does not enforce the return times on your Fast Pass. As long as you return after the earlier time, they’ll let you on.

You might get an eye roll from a CM, but they’ll still take it. We took advantage of this later on, which we’ll get to in another update.

After we got off of Space Mountain, I ran into Star Traders because I wanted to trade a Vinylmation! I’d seen that they had a mystery box and a clear trading box in there the previous evening, so I made sure to bring a bunch of traders in my backpack for today.

(Keep reading!)

Continued in next post
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #101
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Chapter Twelve: IM GONNA WRECK IT!
Day 2: November 30th, 2012

I decided to see what they had in their clear box and noticed that Zero from Nightmare Before Christmas was in there, so I totally traded for him immediately!

At this point, we thought it might be a good idea to go and pick up our candy canes over at the Candy Palace, so we headed towards Main Street.

I lucked out that they were working on presumably the second batch, so we could actually see them making the candy canes from the outside window! It was such a cool process to see, honestly.

After we watched the guy stretch the sugar, we headed inside to go pay for our candy canes. Somehow Matt missed the memo on both the SIZE of the candy canes and also the price. Theyre $12.95, and apparently he thought they would be like, $3-$4, so when the price came up he gave me the Daaaaniiiii stare that he sometimes gives me, hahaha. I told him I could not figure out why he wanted to buy two with how large they were, and thats when he told me he had no idea they would be that huge!

Im fairly certain as we walked away with our bag of candy canes, Matt said something like, These better be the best candy canes Ive ever eaten in my life for that price. Hahahaha, oh well!

Truth be told, we still have an entire candy cane completely untouched sitting in our kitchen because of how huge they are! Ill get into how they tasted later&

Anyway! We hung out around Main Street and decided to explore while doing some shopping.

Down one of the little side streets, we came across Hotel Marceline, and suddenly I could hear this man showering away above us!

I thought it was so funny and neat how they put in this random dude just singing in the shower above in the hotel, hahaha. I took a video of it just because it was so great, which you can see below by clicking on the image!

We then went to the Emporium where I tried on some Minnie ears but decided not to buy any.

I then finally found a hoodie that I liked and tried it on, having Matt take a photo of me with it on just to make sure I liked it.

I thought it was perfect, not too flashy and pretty classic, and fit me well, so I decided to buy it!

We left the Emporium and were heading for the exit when we realized that it was 10:30 and Wreck-It Ralph was finally doing his meet and greet over in the Starcade! We immediately turned around and headed back to Tomorrowland in hopes of getting to meet my new favorite character.

Fortunately, the line was not long at all! It was very organized with a formed line and meeting spots, Ralph in one spot, Vannelope over on the other side in her own meeting spot.

After waiting for a few minutes, I was meeting Ralph and so happy about it! Such a cute dude, and he seemed to enjoy my Wreck-It Ralph t-shirt I was wearing.

After getting our photos snapped with Ralph, we decided to skip past Vannelope because she had her own line and well, Ralph was the main character I wanted to meet!

Next up, we FINALLY get to see California Adventure for the first time, and experience our first outdoor attraction in the pouring rain&

Continued in next post

Last edited by danimaroo; 01-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #102
MrsBearcat
Mouseketeer

Location: On the westside of the cornfield and to the east of the soybeans

Uh Dani where is the pic of the CANDY CANE? Your killing me with the suspense over here

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2970848
MrsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #103
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

The first time my Mom and I rode Buzz we did terrible! So we ran around and hopped right back on...we did it at least 3 or 4 times in a row until we got better at it!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #104
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Ew! I hope Oogie Boogie doesn't get bugs in the popcorn!

Oh Buzz. My man. Hahah I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at the fact that you had zero points there for a while. That sounds like something that would, and probably has, happened to me.

OMG YOUR TITLE of the second update!!!!! Please forgive me, but WIR is the best. So I'm betting this is when you meet him...

Omg, shower dude. Too funny!!!

AHHHH RALPH!!!!! I love him so much! He's perfect! I can't wait to meet him!!!
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #105
GatorMommy2007
Mouseketeer

No fast pass enforcement? Jealous!!! And yes, we need to see the candy cane! I'm so excited to meet Wreck-It Ralph!

GatorMommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: