Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
LOL, when I read your post, I immediately thought to myself, "They must be from Texas." (I'm from the Houston area). I looked over at your info, and sure enough ! We like our steak just barely dead in these parts. I hope the Magic has that figured out now that it's had a couple of sailings full of Texans! --Katie
I had no problem getting a rare to medium rare steak on Magic out of Galveston. Had to send one back, but they got a properly raw one back out to me in no time flat.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
mstee777
Mouseketeer

I learned to order below what I wanted on the fantasy. I like my steak medium well. But had to order medium to get a good steak on the fantasy. The server told us how to order when we told him how we liked our steaks.
mstee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info!
dad4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Palo has an amazing steak. I also enjoyed the steak at Castaway Cay on the adult side.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

My DH is a big steak lover. His favourite steaks on DCL was the Beef Tenderloin at Palo and the Porterhouse that he had for dinner at Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
MiceFan
I like this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsherard
I had the best steak of my life on the adult beach at Castaway Cay. It was a ribeye that was as big as the plate! So yummy.....
I've never been to Castaway Cay. Are all the restaurants counter service or table service or do they have both types of restaurants? I wasn't planning to be separated from the kiddos, but it sounds like a quick visit to the adult beach for those steaks might be worth it! Thanks!

Always ready to go back.
8 trips to the World, a few to the Land & 1 Disney Cruise
Mary DH The kiddos!
MiceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
melsherard
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=MiceFan;47022959]I've never been to Castaway Cay. Are all the restaurants counter service or table service or do they have both types of restaurants? I wasn't planning to be separated from the kiddos, but it sounds like a quick visit to the adult beach for those steaks might be worth it! Thanks![/QU

It is a buffet style, and they will give you the steak right off of the grill. You could take the shuttle out there and eat real quick I was supposed to eat lunch with my kids, but I could not pass up those steaks! Have a great trip!

4 night Wonder trip report Jan 2009
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2085074

7 night Mexican Riviera March 13, 2011
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2684268
melsherard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
melsherard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan View Post
I've never been to Castaway Cay. Are all the restaurants counter service or table service or do they have both types of restaurants? I wasn't planning to be separated from the kiddos, but it sounds like a quick visit to the adult beach for those steaks might be worth it! Thanks!
Sorry, I didn't completely answer your question. I believe all of the restaurants are buffet-style

4 night Wonder trip report Jan 2009
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2085074

7 night Mexican Riviera March 13, 2011
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2684268
melsherard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
jahber
DIS Veteran

I had a great NY strip at Cabanas (the aforementioned pool-deck restaurant). It's a sit-down at night and the steak was the best thing I ate on the cruise. Nicely seasoned and cooked exactly as I ordered it (medium). In the MDRs over the course of 3 cruises my beef had consistently been overcooked, so I was maybe a little too exited about food that actually came the way I ordered it. It may have to do with the fact that Cabanas has its own (smaller) kitchen, so the food isn't quite as "mass-produced"? Don't know that for sure, though.

Fwiw, I never bothered sending food back because dinner took so long anyway and I'm not exactly a beef aficionado--it didn't ruin my cruise--but your servers WILL try to make sure your dinner is to your liking. Don't be afraid to ask! Wait...one correction . The steak was always cooked correctly at Palo and there I WOULD have sent it back if it weren't. Happy cruising!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #25
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Best steak I ever had was at remy! AMAZING

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
DCLSailing
Earning My Ears

I will second the New York Strip at Cabanas!

On our past Disney Cruises, we've never tried the dinner at Cabanas until last week on the Dream. It was a wonderful experience! I ordered the NY Strip and it arrived exactly as ordered, nicely seasoned and delicious!
DCLSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #27
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I always asked for my steaks rare and they came out pink so I was happy they were not overcooked. Still, the steaks were just ok. I guess I'm spoiled buying the USDA Prime beef at Costco.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
MiceFan
I like this place

Thanks Melissa, I'll have to see what DH & I can figure out with the kiddos!

Sounds like I'll be pleased on-board, apparently I'm the rare Texan who likes her steaks well done!

Always ready to go back.
8 trips to the World, a few to the Land & 1 Disney Cruise
Mary DH The kiddos!
MiceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan View Post

Sounds like I'll be pleased on-board, apparently I'm the rare Texan who likes her steaks well done!
I don't know, we might have to kick you out of the state , or send you to Austin ! --Katie
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #30
JodyTG
It's a well known fact that a woman can never own too many pairs of black shoes. Why can't my husband see that a new pair of shoes really CAN change your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan

You're not alone. I eat mine medium well and I'm a Texan born and bred. It actually kinda turns my stomach to see a cooked steak still bleeding.
May 1990, Grand Floridian | May 1996, Dixie Landings | June 1997, All Star Sports | June 1998, Caribbean Beach | June 2000, All Star Music | June 2002, Port Orleans French Quarter | December 2003, All Star Music | December 2005, Beach Club Villas | December 2006, Beach Club Villas & Disney Wonder 4 night Bahamas cruise | December 2008, BoardWalk Villas | December 2010, Port Orleans Riverside | December 2011, Pop Century | November 2013, Disney Wonder 7 night Western Caribbean cruise
JodyTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: