Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
sdrsdd
Mouseketeer

Military discount

Can military only get 1 stateroom now instead of 3 like in the past? (Using the Military discount) Why the change if so?
sdrsdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Yes, the DCL website now states that only one room can be booked instead of 3. Not sure why the change.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Not sure about number of rooms. I do know that they allow you to do a "kids in the next room" deal where you book mom and kid in one and dad + kid in another provided it is nuclear family.

Also, they changed the rules so the military member no longer needs to cruise--the discount is available to a dependent with appropriate ID cruising without the military person. Maybe the thinking was that with this change, multiple rooms would not be needed....or maybe they are trying to avoid a situation where one military person could qualify for 6 cabins (military member books 3, spouse books 3!)

Perhaps the thinking is to keep it more in line with other discounts--Fl res, TA, etc. require an authorized person with appropriate ID in each cabin.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

Yes they changed it. Only 1 stateroom. No longer can you get your extended family the military rate.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

Question?? My husband was in the Army, Vietnam Combat Veteran BUT did not retire from the military. We of course have his DD214 - can he get the Military Discount? He can on RCI and Carnival.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
Question?? My husband was in the Army, Vietnam Combat Veteran BUT did not retire from the military. We of course have his DD214 - can he get the Military Discount? He can on RCI and Carnival.
AFAIK, it's only active military.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

That makes me very sad Wish DCL rewarded the service of all of our veterans past and present just as RCI and Carnival does.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know how recently this change was made?

Just curious...

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

In the last few weeks.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
In the last few weeks.
Thanks!

I see you're running the half marathon. Me too! Have fun!

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Not correct--per the DCL web page, it is active, retired, 100% disabled, and also includes categories like FBI and some other government employees.

To the poster who asked--look at DCL's page. If that doesn't specifically answer your question, call your TA and have them verify with DCL.

I just found the brief description under "specials," but there is a longer page with a lot more detail....if I find it, I'll post the link. Here is the short info:

Eligibility

Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse), including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. Military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members (or spouse) of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).
Book Your Cruise

To take advantage of this offer, be sure to enter the special booking code

Last edited by kcashner; 12-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
DHofShmoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Not correct--per the DCL web page, it is active, retired, 100% disabled, and also includes categories like FBI and some other government employees.

To the poster who asked--look at DCL's page. If that doesn't specifically answer your question, call your TA and have them verify with DCL.

I just found the brief description under "specials," but there is a longer page with a lot more detail....if I find it, I'll post the link. Here is the short info:

Eligibility

Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse), including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. Military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members (or spouse) of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).
Book Your Cruise

nm
DHofShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

every time we have gone to Disney, or the cruise we have never be able to use the military special.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I believe it is for everyone currently in the military (both active status and retired status are in the military). Those who separated or resigned are not in the military.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

Eligibility

Book Your Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
I believe it is for everyone currently in the military (both active status and retired status are in the military). Those who separated or resigned are not in the military.
OK, got it. Thanks

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: