Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
ab2008
Mouseketeer

A little last minute, but we are booked.

So much to plan and so little time. I just booked a 3 night cruise on Dream leaving 1/31 There's me, an English girl, with my American family, DH, DD (10) and DS (8).
This is our first ever cruise, and I am beyond excited, but oh so many questions. I've already found lots of good advice on here, but would welcome any you have.
As the trip is so short, I've decided not to go ashore in Nassau, but stay onboard to explore and enjoy the boat. Do you think that is a bad idea? Still planning on going ashore at Castaway Cay (if the boat manages to dock there, have read January can be iffy).
Trying to decide whether to take part in the FE, as I don't have much time to get a hanger or gifts, and I need to make door magnets and pirate costumes.
When we went to WDW I had lots of time to plan and make stuff, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with this.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

We went ashore in Nassau just for about an hour to walk around. The ship was rather quiet (not desserted, but definitely not busy) and it was a great time to enjoy the AquaDuck and pools without crowds.

Even though we booked our cruise well in advance, I also found that I just didn't have time to get FE together. I was a little disappointed thinking we would be totally missing out on some fun, but in reality it made no difference. If you want to make fun for your family, go to the local dollar store and pick up some Disney themed trinkets to leave out each day, you can probably even get your stateroom host to assist.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
familyfundisneyway
Earning My Ears

We went on our first cruise last year,and 3 nights does go fast.We did not do FE's.We did not go to Naussau.We did not dress up for the pirate party,and we did not have magnets on our door.It was my DH,DS5,andDS13.This year we are going again and I will not be doing any of the above I by no means am a party pooper,just our family is kind of low key.Ask your family which is most important to them.Try to get done what you can and if you don't do it all.. more reason to book another cruise
familyfundisneyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

I've heard Nassau Isent that great, so staying on board is probably a good idea. The ship is what you're paying for, so try to soak up every minute you can appreciating its glory. Since you have so little time, try going low key on the extra stuff. Make a no sew fish extender (there is a post with directions somewhere on this site), pass out little disney trinkets, snacks, and other little things (dollar store items), and for pirate night just wear the disney bandana provided on board. Use a black eyeliner pen to draw little cross bones and skulls on your arms and face, and wear black and red clothing. Also anything black and white stripped looks cute. For door magnets, there are multiple threads on here that provide cute little graphics you can print out and glue onto magnets. This way you can say you participated in all the little extras and didn't even have to stress out too much.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
misslissa
DIS Veteran

We did a 7 night cruise several years ago without kids and had hardly any time then. I wouldn't worry about all that stuff. We didn't do FEs, we did have magnets, and I have them somewhere, I don't think I'll do it again. We bought some pirate hats and wore them, that was fun.

This time with baby, we won't be doing any of the above, but I did get my little guy some Pirate PJs to wear to the party 'cause it is pretty late, DH and I barely stayed awake long enough for it last time.

I would 'get off' at Nassau if you can, even for an hour or two for a walk. Or, a visit to the beach. If CC doesn't dock for some reason, you might miss out seeing any land on your cruise. BUT, if you plan on taking any more cruises, I wouldn't worry about it - Nassau comes up on many itineraries.

Last of all, those little things are not very important. Don't worry about them. I'm usually an overplanner too, doing it more low key this time, and it isn't taking away from the fun. We'll be warming up the Dream for you on 1/24
May 2007 - Pop Century Resort/Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2008 - First Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean
February 2009 - Polynesian Resort
January 2013 - Port Orleans/Disney Dream (with baby)
June 2013 - Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando (with baby)
August 2013 - Joined DVC
February 2014 - First stay at home - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
misslissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfundisneyway View Post
We went on our first cruise last year,and 3 nights does go fast.We did not do FE's.We did not go to Naussau.We did not dress up for the pirate party,and we did not have magnets on our door.It was my DH,DS5,andDS13.This year we are going again and I will not be doing any of the above I by no means am a party pooper,just our family is kind of low key.Ask your family which is most important to them.Try to get done what you can and if you don't do it all.. more reason to book another cruise
^^^^ This on a 3 day, IMHO
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
My 2 princesses
Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bug:)

You booked yesterday?? I booked the day before yesterday for this exact same cruise. The price was too good to pass up! This is our first cruise ever so I'm overwhelmed as well and have been hanging on this board a lot since. I'm sure we will have fun
Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
jahber
DIS Veteran

We didn't do any "extra" stuff on our first cruise, either. Although I did disembark at Nassau for a snorkeling trip, followed by an emergency stop at a store to buy my DH a razor, I didn't leave the ship the second time

I agree that you should consider taking it easy on your first cruise and just soak up the experience. My bet is you will love it so much you'll be planning your next cruise on the drive home . So consider this first cruise a fact-finding mission. Try some things, observe ship life, and make notes for "next time." There will be so much to do, you won't miss out on the fun even if you don't know any of the "secrets" DCL vets know. But of course, you can always take some time and read up before you go if you're that type of planner. Heaven knows, many of us stalk these boards looking for tips and tricks when we have a cruise booked (guilty!).

All that to say, even if you don't read another post before you sail, you WILL have a great time! Happy sailing!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
ab2008
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I just need to breathe and enjoy the experience
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We've done one cruise where we participated in the FE and one where we did not. I actually preferred the cruise more where we didn't do the FE. It was a lot of work making the gifts, transporting them with limited luggage space, and then making time to deliver them once onboard. And this was on a 7 night cruise! In my opinion, it's a good choice to forego the FE for a short cruise.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Short notice? No way! You have a whole month to plan and get ready. The closest I ever booked was a Thursday morning for a Saturday departure!

One thing--since you refer to yourself as "an English girl," you will want to confirm what documents you'll need. I can't help with this, but you don't want to get to the port without something that is necessary!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
ab2008
Mouseketeer

I know I need my passport and green card, already checked on that :-) Also checked the rest of our passports are all in date. So I think we are good with paperwork ~ thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: