Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Castaway April
Mouseketeer

Junkanoo Beach, Nassau

We are traveling with my family (my parents, sister and her family of 5, and my husband and kids 5 and 1) on the Dream the end of January. My parents and sister are not really interested in going out too far that day due to some mobility issues so they will probably just get off the boat and check out the straw market, but my husband and the kids and I would like a short venture out. I've been reading about Junkanoo Beach and see it has mixed reviews. We are really just looking for a beach to hang out at for a couple hours and don't want to travel far or spend a lot. Any personal experiences?

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Me and my two children (age 14 and 13) went to Junkanoo earlier this year. Takes about 15 minutes to walk, felt very safe.

Beach was lovely, and water beautiful. There are restrooms and plenty of places to get refreshments. The 3 of us had a lovely day there.

The straw market on the other hand, we all thought was rubbish! Same stuff on every stall, everyone harassing you to try and get you to buy, and the prices were high - we found the same stuff in the shops for cheaper.
Ladyshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

We liked Junkanoo beach. When we went it was about 85 degrees out and very humid! By the time we walked to the beach we were dripping in sweat. The currient is very strong. I had to hold onto my young one. The water is not as clear as at Castaway. It's a small little beach and you can see the cruise ships from there. There are bathroom faculties there and a little shack where you can buy food or rent lawn chairs. We just brought towels from the ship. There were locals there selling there goods but if you tell them no they don't hassle you. The only thing was that the sidewalk gets progressively worse each block until you get to the beach. I have more in my Dream trip report in my signature with pictures. (around post 43)

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Castaway April
Mouseketeer

Thanks, I think it will be a nice little outing without spending too much money or having to go to far. Looking forward to checking it out Glad to hear you both had a good time and thought it was clean and safe.

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
missj1975
DIS Veteran

We walked to Junkanoo beach the second week of December. The walk was safe but we were definitely sweating by the end of the walk. There was a nice local selling water halfway there so yeah for that. The beach is nice looking but the beach itself is covered in glass...and not the nice sea glass kind. Make sure everyone has water shoes.

This was the third time we have been to Nassau so I am glad we went to the beach to see what it was like but it is definitely a beach I won't visit again.
missj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: