Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
rillsung
DIS Veteran

Well if you ever need to fly to New Mexico (and maybe a couple other states) you will need a passport starting next year. This awesome state that I live in gives licenses to illegals to TSA is supposed to stop recognizing licenses as a form of ID

Also, DCL required us to have a passport (not a passport card) for the Alaskan repo this year (we did B2B so we were not flying into Vancouver). We also figure if we ever need to fly home in an emergency, it's better to have the full passport than try to figure it out when it comes.

rillsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #32
RoniBoBoni
Don't know if I'm elated or gassy...

I too live in NM, and the people who live in other states won't need a passport to fly to NM or any other state within the US. Just those that live New Mexico and Washington will need a passport to fly anywhere. Period. Because we live in a state that issues drivers licenses to illegals, our (New Mexicans) drivers licenses are no longer recognized as a valid government issued id. The laws that allow illegals to obtain DL's violate the federal Real ID Act or something like that. But all other US citizens won't need a passport to fly within the US, just those that live in New Mexico and Washington, effective January 15th.
DD 5
RoniBoBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #33
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to update that we went and applied for our passports today!

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #34
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagsMissy View Post
at least in Canada you need a passport in order to get the enhanced ID... so you still need the passport to get the ID...

I don't think that is actually true. We are required for my job to have EDL's due to possible border crossings while on duty. These are paid for by our employer because it is a requirement for our job. There are surprisingly a lot of people that I work with that do NOT have passports and do have an EDL. Maybe it varies by province. I've never looked into it. But I do know that we have been issued them without a passport.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
Hi - first time I have ever posted, but I feel pretty strongly about this. If your child gets sick and has to fly back, they need a passport. I know there are ways to get an emergency passport, as someone posted above, but that is the last thing you want to deal with at the time. I am optimistic, but I am also prepared . . . kind of like getting insurance in the fist place (don't think I will have to cancel a trip, get in an accident or have health issues), but you just never know.

So, my thought is that unless you live near the borders of Mexico or Canada and will be limiting your travels to simple land border crossings, why take the risk?

Have a great trip - and thanks for motivating me to stop lurking and actually sign up and respond to a post.

I'm curious. Because I have never needed it, or anyone I know has never needed it, people are saying that if you have a medical issue, you can NOT be transfered to the US or into Canada??

That is unfortunate that other countries would not do this. In Canada, we have programs that will allow anyone without ID to be medically transported into the US. They will either fly OR drive them over. In some regions, we do not have the proper level of care ER or hospital, therefore, take them to the most appropriate. And because of where I live, many times that is across the border. Not only do we often drive people over without ID, but they are flown as well (altho not as often due to restrictions).

Im very surprised, as a medical necessity, that people can NOT be flown or driven back to an appropriate country.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
I'm curious. Because I have never needed it, or anyone I know has never needed it, people are saying that if you have a medical issue, you can NOT be transfered to the US or into Canada??

That is unfortunate that other countries would not do this. In Canada, we have programs that will allow anyone without ID to be medically transported into the US. They will either fly OR drive them over. In some regions, we do not have the proper level of care ER or hospital, therefore, take them to the most appropriate. And because of where I live, many times that is across the border. Not only do we often drive people over without ID, but they are flown as well (altho not as often due to restrictions).

Im very surprised, as a medical necessity, that people can NOT be flown or driven back to an appropriate country.
I believe as a "medical necessity" the PATIENT would be flown/taken to the nearest medical facility regardless of country or ID. However, the rest of the family may not be allowed to join the patient without proper ID, and the patient him/herself (and the family) would need to have proper ID to return home after discharge or for transfer to a facility closer to home once stabilized. Life-threatening medical treatment would not be withheld.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #37
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Love our passports. Always laugh when our friends are panicking trying to get passports for a vacation opportunity that sprung up last minute.

Let me make a suggestion: when you get those passports, you will have $500 worth of material, not to mention the vast amount of time invested in getting the information together and dragging both parents and the kids (you ALL have to go) to the post office or other passport agency. Losing those suckers is not fun. Consider buying a $20 fire safe, readily available at Home Depot or www.amazon.com. (I don't work for either) Keep your passports in that safe whenever you are at home. You will always know where they are, and a fire won't destroy them. Throw in your marriage certificate, birth certificates, and social security cards as well.

Also, make several photocopies of your passports. Leave one set of copies at home, one with a family member or friend who is not going with you, and take a set in your luggage, separately from your passports. If you lose a passport while on vacation, you will have a much easier time getting it replaced if you have all the information that a photocopy provides.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #38
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjobe View Post

Just wanted to update that we went and applied for our passports today!
Thanks for the update.

Who knows, by having passports you might expand your travel horizons.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #39
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
I believe as a "medical necessity" the PATIENT would be flown/taken to the nearest medical facility regardless of country or ID. However, the rest of the family may not be allowed to join the patient without proper ID, and the patient him/herself (and the family) would need to have proper ID to return home after discharge or for transfer to a facility closer to home once stabilized. Life-threatening medical treatment would not be withheld.

Sorry. People have actually quoted (as in this thread) that if something were to happen to you (you now being the patient), that you could not be flown or taken elsewhere to have medical treatment.

That is what I was questioning. I am aware that family can not go (although I know it does happen) especially if being flown.

And you don't necessarily have to provide ID when returning from another country. You are issued special paperwork from Customs officials. I've taken people over the border who do not have either an EDL OR a passport. It happens. It's not the patients choice......especially when they are unconcious. There are typically agreements surrounding this type of thing.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

My fear is that my definition of medical necessity may vary from what those who are deciding may feel is truly a medical necessity. My DS has an immune system issue...therefore something like pneumonia may require a Pediatric Immunologist. I would want the option of taking him back to the states for care. This is 'my' medical necessity -but debatable whether he could get excellent treatment elsewhere. I could make this argument for a broken arm, etc- when many would say I am ridiculous, and I probably am, I admit it. Passports are a no- brainier because of my own concerns about choice. If that is not something you are concerned with, then you have made an educated decision, go with what you want! Don't let others decide one way or another for you.
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: