Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinakk View Post
I think you are entitled to bring in whatever you need to bring for your family. I always have snacks and side items (sometimes even full meals) for my kiddos in the diaper bag to supplement meals if needed. We go where the menu sounds good for us as parents first and foremost and just hope for the best with the kiddos. They have a pb&j or grilled cheese, great. If not, who knows maybe she will actually try grilled chicken, or at least not make a face at it . Do what you have to do to have fun and all be happy! And never hurts to ask the servers what your options are. If adults can be picky and sub things in and out of their meals why is it such a big deal for kids. They won't be picky forever (we hope). I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape when we ask about accommodations for picky eaters- we parents need to stick together, we will all have our struggles, right?!
And that's absolutely correct. I never went without the old Cheerios in my diaper bag.

But once my son was on solid foods, he ate what the restaurant offered him. If not, he colored and drew and that was that. We fed him after or asked the server for crackers.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #32
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Will he eat french fries? My advice would be to feed him something QS before you go to your ADR. Then let him have a side and a dessert or something like that. Picky eating can be a tough thing and you're right that you shouldn't have to fight it while on vacation. I hope you guys enjoy yourselves.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #33
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Believe it or not, he hates fries-actually all forms of potatoes-just like his father. Do you know if they have ranch at BOG? If so, I can get him to eat the chicken.

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
That's my advice, too. If a kid's truly not hungry enough to eat what's available, I wouldn't force the issue.
I agree. If they are hungry they will eat. You could always make sure he gets a nutritious lunch/snack before you go as well.

I heard BOG has nice healthy options, looking forward to this. We typically don't buy kids meals for our DD at WDW as they are a pile of junk food, although Norway's dinner offers some good options. Sounds like you have good alternatives packed with you on your trip.

GL!
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #35
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFanatic View Post
Believe it or not, he hates fries-actually all forms of potatoes-just like his father. Do you know if they have ranch at BOG? If so, I can get him to eat the chicken.
If they don't, you could pick some up at another counter service restaurant (I know I've seen those packets at other places) and bring that in. I've taken some ketchup packets from the Yorkshire Fish Shop so my husband could enjoy his sausage sandwich from the place in Germany.

The stuff in the packets are better than trying to bring in your own Ranch since that could go bad during the day.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
What i used to do was feed my DS before we went and then just buy him dessert.

WDW will try to accommodate him but they can't serve what they don't have.

Bringing outside food into a TS restaurant for a child older then baby food stage isn't something you should really do
I agree mom2of2 - baby food/early eaters ok but older children shouldn't have a "carry in", same as any other establishment.
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #37
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

If your child can't eat what is on the menu then you need to take him somewhere where he can eat what's on the menu. There are all kinds of restaurants that serve the crappy junk food that so many parents allow their children to eat. Why must it always be up to the restaurant to come up with alternatives to children with eating problems? And I am most definitely NOT talking about those with actual, real, dietary restrictions. Flame away.
I agree with you. There are tons of places that serve typical CS food like nuggets and fries.

I also agree with others that said to feed him first somewhere else, then order dessert at BOG. But i would study the menu closely with him. there has to be something on the menu that he will eat.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 12-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #38
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

I have never understood why on these threads posters have to get so judgemental. Op has a picky eater. She knows it, do you think she doesn't wish her child was (presumably) just like yours and perfect? Oh yeah, of course she does. Give it a rest.

Sorry for my snarkiness, but every single thread it takes about two posts until it begins.. And I've been lurking here long enough to notice, sometimes it's the same people flaming on every picky eater thread.

Op, as you can probably tell, I have a picky eater too. She is 9 and she does try new foods now, but it has been a long road. She has ADD and sensory issues with food (textures). We are eating at Bog on January 16th for dinner. I did notice they do have salad and rolls (bread) which helps us.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone . Good luck. In the past we used to carry PB with us.. Some places will not allow this due to allergies though... (like American girl). And you cannot bring PB into the us Capitol.... Security reasons.

See how much fun it is??? So all of who stand in judgement... Please-- enough.

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
cgattis
DIS Veteran

We still often carry a peanut butter sandwich in for DD.......who is now ELEVEN. We do this at Disney or anyplace else we're not 100% certain there's something else she'll eat. We have never had so much as a cross look from any restaurant, and I really could care less (by now, anyway) what anyone else thinks. It's not like we're "getting away with not paying"--if she sat there without ordering anything (other than a buffet, of course), it would be fine. So it's just as fine to bring our own. As OP just said, of course we'd RATHER she eat normal foods, but we're not going to let her sit and be hungry or make her eat alone beforehand.
cgattis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I would reiterate that this is not a parenting website.

The OP wants to know if she can bring in a meal from another restaurant. Likely this response would be "no." It is also likely she would not want to. Disney doesn't package CS meals to go in most cases. She would be carrying a plate of food into the restaurant. Likely that wouldn't work.

Can she bring in a sandwich in her bag? Probably.

Can she bring in packaged snacks? Most likely.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #41
marmalade
DIS Veteran

What will he eat? Is there anything on the menu that they could pulls parts from one meal and parts from another to make him something? If you really can't find anything he will eat, I would get him something before you go in so he isn't hungry and just order him a dessert as others have suggested.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #42
persnickity
Earning My Ears

Isn't the line for lunch sitting like 30 minutes or something? Maybe he can eat a corndog or something else from the food carts while you wait.

I hope you can find something that works for you. I disagree that you "just shouldn't go" if the menu is problematic for one member of your party. And I'm not sure why anyone ever thinks sharing their opinions on picky eating is welcome. There are many things on the BOG menu (and others) that my kids would eat without too much trouble if I made them at home - but that doesn't mean they'd be willing to try them at a restaurant.
persnickity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Hey persnickety, good point about eating while waiting in line. As obvious as that is, never thought about it. Good option in this case where you can be sure there's a wait. Good idea!
cgattis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #44
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

I too have a very picky eater. She likes pasta and chicken. Geez... I was glad to see that they had macaroni on the food menu. She would eat that. As a fellow parent I know where you are coming from. I would like to experience resturants like that too, but want my picky eater to be happy.

medhdd8ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #45
partigus
Mouseketeer

Disney is different

OK, so we all know that one of the things that makes dDisney special is their desire to deliver top notch customer service. I've worked for several companies who send managers to disney to learn what true customer service is. I think they will be accommodating. Also, a restaurant such as BOG isn't just a meal, it's an experience in and of itself. To forego the experience, because the menu isn't perfect for everyone in the party is hard to accept.

I would avoid the "special request" route. My wife and two of my daughters can't eat gluten- so am very used to Disneys accommodations. However, they are limited to what they can do. They'll have allergan free products, but your child may like these no more than anything else.

I'd say that if he'll eat chicken with ranch then get some sealed packages and keep them in your purse for the duration of the trip!

On a side note- and please don't take this as parenting advise, just a sharing of our disney experiences....The themeing of some of the Disney restraunts have helped us convice our children to eat things there that we had not had luck getting them to try at home. "This is what Belle ate growing up" might go a long way to get them to try something new.
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: