Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
DisneyMom2Boyz
Mouseketeer

Hoop Dee Doo???

First, not sure if thats the correct name or spelling! I'm looking for some information, ideas or even pictures. We have been to Disney for the past 3years and I'm looking for something new, I will be paying out of pocket but I don't mind if I get good feedback. My two children are picky eaters but this sounds ok. One child is considered an adult. I'm also looking for any other places worth trying. We usually do: O'hana, Kona, 50primetime, Liberty Tree, TRex, trying Plaza. One of my sons likes ribs. Thanks for any comments!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

The HDR is a great dinner show! They have great fried chicken and okay ribs.
dad4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom2Boyz View Post
First, not sure if thats the correct name or spelling! I'm looking for some information, ideas or even pictures. We have been to Disney for the past 3years and I'm looking for something new, I will be paying out of pocket but I don't mind if I get good feedback. My two children are picky eaters but this sounds ok. One child is considered an adult. I'm also looking for any other places worth trying. We usually do: O'hana, Kona, 50primetime, Liberty Tree, TRex, trying Plaza. One of my sons likes ribs. Thanks for any comments!
We had 1 non-meat-eating adult, 3 finicky (spelling?) girls (12, 10, 9), and then 3 adults and 1 girl (6) who go with the flow. We all had a great time. Lots of fun. And way better than the Luau. HHDR gets very positive reviews overall.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
sandym718
DIS Veteran

We did it for the first time this past March - there were 11 of us, aged 5-40, and it was a hit with everyone!! As the above poster said, I found the ribs to be just OK, though my son loved them. Everything else was GREAT! The show is funny, corny, but funny. My poor DD was not feeling well, so didn't eat even one bite, but she still enjoyed the show. And guess what she's picked for her actual birthday dinner on our trip in 2014? That's right, HDDR! It will be her 10th birthday and she can't wait.

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

It's one of my absolute favorite experiences on the property. I've never seen anybody, of any age, leave without a huge smile on his or her face.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

It is a great show. Lots of singing, dancing, and the performers went in the audience for a couple bits. There are some jokes that the adults will get, but go over the kids head. Plus, you don"t have to worry about weather as it is an indoor show. As for the food, it is fried chicken, BBQ ribs, and light beer. Being from KY, I think we really do fried chicken and BBQ ribs better than they serve there, but that is probably something similarly you may find with a New Englander's doing a seafood review at WDW.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

We love it.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

In fact I'm surprising my dh there on jan 15
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
whys_of_ma
The queen of my own little pond

We loved it. I have picky eaters myself and everyone left full and happy.

Nov 2011 - CRB
Jan 2010 - off site
Oct 2003 - POP
many trips as a younger person
whys_of_ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Do it!

We were so pleasantly surprised by how much fun we had there! My generally reserved son (7 at the time), shocked us. We were sitting there enjoying the show and all of a sudden I look over and he (gotta know my son to fully appreciate this) is PLAYING THE WASHBOARD AND SPOONS!! Someone passed that stuff out to various people during some of the music. Again... to know my "stick in the mud at times" child.... he was playing the dang washboard and spoons like it was his job and get this....HE WAS SMILING! Absolutely made our trip.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

HDDR is on our short list of must-do's on every trip! Everyone in our party always has a great time with lots of belly laughs, even though we've seen the show so many times and know what is coming. The food is yummy, hearty, comfort food. My kids are as picky as the next and they always eat well there. DH and I love the unlimited beer and sangria which is welcome after hot, long touring days with 3 kids!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Nanabug02
Look for me in the garden, eating worms

The Hoop Dee Doo is so much fun! Go for it!

Here are some pictures from a live update I did last month. Post # 1052

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998319&page=71
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
mrobsch
Earning My Ears

We loved it and they brought my picky kids some mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookies , as alternatives to the chicken and strawberry shortcake dessert if you ask. Get he sangria was good too
mrobsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
We were so pleasantly surprised by how much fun we had there! My generally reserved son (7 at the time), shocked us. We were sitting there enjoying the show and all of a sudden I look over and he (gotta know my son to fully appreciate this) is PLAYING THE WASHBOARD AND SPOONS!! Someone passed that stuff out to various people during some of the music. Again... to know my "stick in the mud at times" child.... he was playing the dang washboard and spoons like it was his job and get this....HE WAS SMILING! Absolutely made our trip.
LOL, thanks for the reminder, because it was the same here!!! We were with a large group, and my son tends to be a little more outgoing with his cousin there. But to "perform" in front of everyone, and be happy about it? He was really going to town on that washboard. He was 9 at the time. Compare that to his absolute refusals to participate in any game at Ohana...HDDR had it going on!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Figee17
Mouseketeer

we love it! my DH who goes to Disney only for me, left saying that was the "best thing ever" and he is a picky eater too. he requested we go back, this Feb will be his third time! my nephew (3.5) and son (20 months) both LOVED it as well!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Figee17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: