Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
wisblue
DIS Veteran

The DVC purchase process ended up being a pretty easy decision for me because by that time it was pretty obvious that, even though Sarah and her sisters were grown or growing up, they still loved visiting WDW. So, I had no apprehension about making a 49 year purchase because I figured at least one of them would be more than happy to use the points for many years to come.

After studying how the membership works and comparing the cost of getting a room using points to the cost of paying for a comparable room the traditional way, I determined that the savings would be substantial. I figured that the membership would allow us to make more frequent visits at a much lower cost, and it definitely has worked out that way so far for us.

The toughest part of the process was deciding how many points to buy because that is a function of how often you want to visit and what time of the year you go. I knew that with Sarah and Claire both in education they might have to visit during school beaks, so I picked a number of points that would cover about 2 trips every 3 years during a busy time of the year (Easter or Christmas).

At first we were banking points every year because we ended up taking trips at less busy times, but with Emma's DCP terms we have used up the points, and have pretty much fully borrowed them. We have made a lot more trips to WDW than I imagined when we bought the membership. I have thought about getting more points, but am reluctant to make that commitment unless Emma decides to stay in Florida on a longer term basis. In the meantime I have decided that we can stay at the value resorts if we use up all of our points.

Buying DVC requires a thorough analysis of what you can afford and how committed you are to taking regular Disney vacations. While the points can be used at other places, you really don't get anywhere near the bang for your buck if you use them that way.

I can say that the DVC purchase has been a great value for us, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense for everyone. I see the DVC as our "vacation home" but without the aggravation of having to take care of the property.
wisblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: