Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Loveofgage
Earning My Ears

when to put luggage tags on if flying out 4 days prior to the cruise

First time cruiser here, and although very excited I am also getting very nervous due to our Rookie status.

We received our luggage tags but we will be flying in 4 days prior to the cruise...we plan on visiting family and a few parks before heading back to the Orlando airport for the Disney transfer to Port Canaveral. Anyone have any experience with this? Do I put the tags on 4 days prior and hope they don't get picked up for the wrong cruise? Any insight appreciated, thanks!

Anxious mom, Jan. 24th cruise to Bahamas
Loveofgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

You do not want to put the tags on early or you risk losing your luggage! (It could take a nice cruise without you.)

Bring the tags with you along with your other paperwork, and put the tags on either the night before your cruise or that morning before getting to the airport. It sounds like you are not flying in the morning of the cruise but rather being dropped off (or maybe returning a rental) at MCO, so you will bring your luggage to the DCL transportation desk with you. From there it will be put on a bus and you won't see it again until it's in your stateroom. Keep any carry-ons you wish to have with you in the terminal and when first boarding because you likely will not have your luggage delivered to the stateroom until late afternoon.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

NO!

You will place the tags on the luggage right before you go to the airport to get the bus to the cruise terminal.

Think of it this way--you place the tags on the bags right before you give them to DCL. If you tag them before you fly, they will be claimed....and may end up on the wrong ship or be "lost." They won't appear on the luggage carousel for you to claim!!!! Even if you don't need the bags for those 4 days, DCL cannot hold them for you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

Do not tag your luggage when you fly. Claim your luggage and take them with you while you visit family and do the parks.

When you arrive at the airport to take the DCL transportation, you will tag your luggage before you hand them over to the porters and the next time you see them will be outside your stateroom!

We fly in the day before and while I try to avoid designating suitcases for each person and use a mix and match approach in the event that a bag is lost or delayed, I try to keep everything that we need for the overnight in one bag, so we only have to open and disturb one piece of luggage before we get on the ship.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
txgirl5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveofgage View Post
First time cruiser here, and although very excited I am also getting very nervous due to our Rookie status.

We received our luggage tags but we will be flying in 4 days prior to the cruise...we plan on visiting family and a few parks before heading back to the Orlando airport for the Disney transfer to Port Canaveral. Anyone have any experience with this? Do I put the tags on 4 days prior and hope they don't get picked up for the wrong cruise? Any insight appreciated, thanks!

Anxious mom, Jan. 24th cruise to Bahamas
No need to be nervous, Disney will make sure you have a smooth trip.

Now, I didn't do it that way, but will offer my two cents.

Assuming that you are not staying at the parks during your 4 days:
Do not put your tags on your luggage when you first fly in because when they land in Orlando they will be pick up by Disney.

You would pick them up like normal when you arrive at Orlando. When you return to the airport for transfers, put your tags on then.

Now, if I am not mistaken, they will ask you to keep your luggage with you and will put it under the bus for you to travel to the port. I am not sure what you will do with it from there, but I would assume they would transport it to the room for you once you get to the port.

Easiest for me was to stay at the parks and transfer from there, it was a no touch easy way to transport your bags. They pick them up from your room the morning you check out and magically appear in your cabin later. Highly suggested if you don't want to worry about a thing.

If all else fails, call Disney and see what they suggest. Hopefully someone can offer more information.

txgirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=txgirl5;47008266

You would pick them up like normal when you arrive at Orlando. When you return to the airport for transfers, put your tags on then.

Now, if I am not mistaken, they will ask you to keep your luggage with you and will put it under the bus for you to travel to the port. I am not sure what you will do with it from there, but I would assume they would transport it to the room for you once you get to the port.

If all else fails, call Disney and see what they suggest. Hopefully someone can offer more information.[/QUOTE]
This is NOT what happened with us. When we arrived at MCO wheeling our bags, they were taken from us by a DCL Cast Member and sent on the luggage truck (not under the bus). We did not see them from the time the CM took them till they showed up outside our cabin. On another occasion, we were instructed to place them "over there by that luggage cart" and again, they appeared magically at our cabin.

On the way HOME from the cruise, if you are not on a participating airline, they will go under the bus with you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Loveofgage
Earning My Ears

Thanks all for the recommendations!! I will keep the tags off until cruise day morning. Thanks again!-m
Loveofgage is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: