Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
jenandkam
Mouseketeer

Grand Cayman/Cozumel port adventures

Hi DIS-ers!

I am thinking of taking my family, which includes me (38), my mother (63 - but spry), DS10 and DD4 on a cruise out of Galveston this spring. We are looking at the 6 night Western on the Magic (we've only sailed the Wonder).

Are there any port adventures that you absolutely loved (or hated) in Grand Cayman and Cozumel? I would like at least 1/2 day on the beach and my mother is BIG into things like Mayan ruins. Are there any good ones in Cozumel? I'm more than willing to book outside of the ship adventures and do something independent.

Any and all suggestions (or warnings) are welcome and appreciated!

TIA!
Jen
Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

You may want to check early for age requirements on the port adventures. We had a five-year old in our group, and had to be careful what we got excited about before confirming he was old enough. We did the stingray city snorkel and sail in Grand Cayman and the Dolphin Swim at Dolphinaris in Cozumel. Both were big winners for all of us (from me at 42 down to the kids in our two families at 10, 10, 8 and 5).

To be fair, the stingrays took some, uh, getting used to, by the kids. DD10 ended up absolutely loving it, but 10-year old niece was not a big fan!

The dolphins were incredible....kiss, hug, pet, dance and belly ride. All of the kids and adults loved this. It's expensive ($160 a person, as I recall), but was a bucket-list event for DW, so it was great fun to do it at least this one time.

DW and DD10 did some ruins in Costa Maya and had a great time, but that's not much help to you in Cozumel on that option.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We've done the Mayan ruins in Cozumel and enjoyed them. They are very different from the ones you see on the mainland because they are from a different time period. Ours was booked through DCL, I don't know if there are independent excursion providers that include the ruins. Other Dis'ers should know the answer.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
jodical
Mouseketeer

We did the Dolphin Encounter in Costa Maya. It's right at the end of the cruise ship pier (no transpo costs keep the cost down) and under $100 for adults and children (Age 3 & up). If anyone in your party doesn't want to participate, they can take photos with their own camera for free from close by. A PHENOMENAL deal!

The San Gervasio Mayan Ruins/Discover Mexico option in Cozumel was great. The ruin tour followed by a Mexican lunch and cultural experience. We loved it!!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: